Chattanooga

white65

I've got some time at work so I thought I start a thread :p About an idea I've had recently.

If you know anything about Chattanooga you know the city is on the rise. #RiseToTheTop. Ever since Volkswagen came to the city, its been growing like crazy. VW is expanding soon. And will had another 1500 or so jobs from what I hear. This will bring in more suppliers, Apartments, restaurants, etc

Currently
Knoxville: 183,270
Chattanooga: 173,366

I think within 25 year Chattanooga will pass Knoxville in Population.

The level of high school sports in Chattanooga is getting better. I think that Chattanooga will be able to produce at least 5-10 FBS level players a year. Not long from now. This year they have a good one from McCallie who plays CB.

The state as a whole is suddenly producing more talent. And I think it won't be long before chatt town does it's part to contribute.

Reactions: 9 people
Anything that brings more people into the state is a good thing. Glad to hear that VW likes being in Chattanooga. Car manufacturing brings lots of secondary and tertiary type businesses as well.

More people mean more kids and more sports. It would be wonderful for Chattanooga to grow into a nice feeder town for UTK. Plus if the kids aren't quite up to SEC level talent then UTC would benefit as well. Win win.

Reactions: 8 people
The problem I think with Chat and sports, one it's more of a young person city. People do raise families there, but I know family that lives there and comparing the median age I would guess Chat is a sid 5 years+ younger than Nash/Knox. If it isn't I would guess its because of number of (college) students in each city. Take all of them out of every city and it would be more evident IMO.

Secondly and more importantly it seems like the kids getting these scholarships are private schooler kids only. Not sure if it's really the case, but a city needs a balance of public and private school success in an area to really produce talent IMO. Look at Nashville, the best talent-producing city in TN. A lot of public school kids are getting UT offers/playing here as well as private schools. Same with Memphis besides the part where a lot of kids are playing for UT

Reactions: 1 person
The city of Chatt is very young, but the metro area is having a rapid growth and is more evenly distributed agewise.

The problem I think with Chat and sports, one it's more of a young person city. People do raise families there, but I know family that lives there and comparing the median age I would guess Chat is a sid 5 years+ younger than Nash/Knox. If it isn't I would guess its because of number of (college) students in each city. Take all of them out of every city and it would be more evident IMO.

Secondly and more importantly it seems like the kids getting these scholarships are private schooler kids only. Not sure if it's really the case, but a city needs a balance of public and private school success in an area to really produce talent IMO. Look at Nashville, the best talent-producing city in TN. A lot of public school kids are getting UT offers/playing here as well as private schools. Same with Memphis besides the part where a lot of kids are playing for UT

Our two main private schools are starting to produce more talent. And we have a few good public schools as well.

Reggie White is glad Chattanooga is finally showing signs of promise for football recruiting.

Is this a joke or something? Please explain.

He's just dropping a stink bomb and leaving. Ignore it. One huge talent in how many years?

Good thread, white. I agree with you. People tend to see things as they were and not as they will evolve. Will probably have to defend the borders more as Chatty grows and produces more major talent. It should blow past Knoxville in population as the area up here has not been overly manufacturing growth friendly. Fortunately UT continues to be like a favorite state school in north GA as well. Some of the major population growth should come up the I-75 corridor toward Knoxville with Denso recently announcing they are also expanding hugely to supply parts. Glad to see all the job growth - it's encouraging. Should mean great things for the program to be able to pick more from the backyard.

Reactions: 3 people
I've got some time at work so I thought I start a thread :p About an idea I've had recently.

If you know anything about Chattanooga you know the city is on the rise. #RiseToTheTop. Ever since Volkswagen came to the city, its been growing like crazy. VW is expanding soon. And will had another 1500 or so jobs from what I hear. This will bring in more suppliers, Apartments, restaurants, etc

Currently

The level of high school sports in Chattanooga is getting better. I think that Chattanooga will be able to produce at least 5-10 FBS level players a year. Not long from now. This year they have a good one from McCallie who plays CB.

The state as a whole is suddenly producing more talent. And I think it won't be long before chatt town does it's part to contribute.

remember .. a percentage of the metro area is actually in Georgia ... Catoosa county has over 65,000 and 3 high schools.. with a large percentage of the residents having moved from Chattanooga over the last 10 years of so.

This year Chattanooga had....two Miss St signees (Baylor QB, Signal Mtn OL), one AZ St signee (cb who was offered by The OSU, GA, MS St)
I don't know who the McCallie DB is unless it is their rb who signed with the MOCS.
McCallie's qb is getting tons of looks by the majors. He is the real thing.

Our two main private schools are starting to produce more talent. And we have a few good public schools as well.
Yeah I haven't heard a whole lot about public school recruiting in Chat. I'm sure it happens more than I think

The thing about chattanooga is that it's not a UT town, so all of the potential athletes that would be coming in wouldn't necessarily be favoring UT unless UT starts winning championships ASAP. Alabama, Georgia, and Auburn all have significant following in the metro area, and once you cross the GA state line, it's basically UGA country. If Chattanooga ever started producing enough talent, there's no guarantee it would benefit us.

Yeah I haven't heard a whole lot about public school recruiting in Chat. I'm sure it happens more than I think

Without it, Vonn Bell is a superstar at Chatt Central, and is more likely to be wearing orange right now. Ridgeland is about as far from a UT feeder as there is in the area.

Is this a joke or something? Please explain.

No, it was a somewhat snarky remark hinting at the notion that Chattanooga has actually produced some very good talent in the past. Reggie White being the most noteworthy. Your op makes it sound like Chattanooga is in recruiting obscurity. Demonte Bolden, Jacques McClendon, Jacques Smith, Gerald Riggs Jr, CJ Boleman, Daniel and Josh Bullocks, Eddie Moore, Terdell Sands, Eric Westmoreland... That being said, they could be getting better, but it's not like Chattanooga wasn't already on the map.

Reactions: 5 people
The thing about chattanooga is that it's not a UT town, so all of the potential athletes that would be coming in wouldn't necessarily be favoring UT unless UT starts winning championships ASAP. Alabama, Georgia, and Auburn all have significant following in the metro area, and once you cross the GA state line, it's basically UGA country. If Chattanooga ever started producing enough talent, there's no guarantee it would benefit us.
Butch gon' Butch.

Chattanooga has become a nice city. In the 60s it was dirty, polluted...but with those great mountains! Except for that nightmare I-75/24 junction, I look forward to visiting there again.

Currently

You know your city has made it when Ironman elects to pick it as a site for one of its international events. It looks like Lookout Mountain, Rock City, etc. are yesterday's news...Chattanooga is moving into the 21st Century.:hi:

remember .. a percentage of the metro area is actually in Georgia ... Catoosa county has over 65,000 and 3 high schools.. with a large percentage of the residents having moved from Chattanooga over the last 10 years of so.

Von Bell :banghead2:

Without it, Vonn Bell is a superstar at Chatt Central, and is more likely to be wearing orange right now. Ridgeland is about as far from a UT feeder as there is in the area.

VB's mom was employed at the school. That's why he went there.

But yes, it does seem that schools are recruiting.

Ridgeland is not the reason Von Bell is not wearing orange.

Reactions: 2 people
And the ridge cut. If we keep growing our rush hour is gonna start feeling like Atlanta's

Seems like if you are heading to nashville in the afternnon .. From the split at 24/75 to the spilt of Al to nashvilke is always a nightmare

Chattanooga and north Georgia is still majority Tennessee fans I would say it's split up 50% UTK fans 10% Bamars 10% UGA then 10% of a little of everything else.(During basketball season every Bama and UGA fan just happens to also be a kentucky fan :p ) The rest are the crazy kind that don't like sports.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back