Something to Remember Next Time One of Our Commits Looks Around

UtahVol

Saw this article on 247 about how Petrino has been banned from a high school after pulling the scholarship offer for a kid who had been committed for eight months two days before signing day.

Bobby Petrino, Louisville banned from recruiting SC high school

I know we spend a lot of time lamenting and fretting over these kids taking all their visits, and not pulling the trigger, but in the future when my heart starts to pound a little over a recruit, I'll remember this guy and how these kids should take all their visits so they have something to fall back on in the event their plan and dreams are shattered at the finish line.

Reactions: 2 people
Saw this article on 247 about how Petrino has been banned from a high school after pulling the scholarship offer for a kid who had been committed for eight months two days before signing day.

Bobby Petrino, Louisville banned from recruiting SC high school

I know we spend a lot of time lamenting and fretting over these kids taking all their visits, and not pulling the trigger, but in the future when my heart starts to pound a little over a recruit, I'll remember this guy and how these kids should take all their visits so they have something to fall back on in the event their plan and dreams are shattered at the finish line.

Hope he goes to GA Southern.

Wonder if a big name would offer a blue shirt? He would qualify to most since he lacked offer/OV.

LV is going to have a field day in this thread......I'm going ahead and putting the thread on ignore.

Don't blame the coach. These coaches feel responsible for these kids. Petrino has Dooleyed this high school. He's always been slimy.

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Petrino is perhaps the biggest slime ball not named Lame Kitten, IMO. The guy can flat out scheme up an Offense but I would NEVER send my child to play for him if I were the parent of one of these recruits. He is NOT a good role model for these still mold-able 18-22yr old kids. I could keep going bc my hate is strong with this one... but I think the point was made

LV is going to have a field day in this thread......I'm going ahead and putting the thread on ignore.

I actually mentioned this on NSD. Of course it was wrong. Of course the HS coach has every right to be upset. I actually like it that he straight up called them on it. If UT does it, I want the HS coach, kid, parents, everyone to bark about it. Imo it should not happen. I love the coach banned him. If these coaches pulling the shady stuff don't think it can affect them, they will just continue hanging kids out to dry. HS coach did the right thing.

Marques Ford ring a bell.

If Ford's HS coach wanted to ban UT going forward, IMO he would be well in his rights to do it. I would not have an issue with it at all.

The NJ article written talking about how UT handled the situation, fine IMO.

If Ford's HS coach wanted to ban UT going forward, IMO he would be well in his rights to do it. I would not have an issue with it at all.

The NJ article written talking about how UT handled the situation, fine IMO.

I completely agree Marques did everything that was ask of him on and off the field. Shady to drop him like we did when we did. Also UT trying to get positive PR by commenting that they are "helping him find another" school is shameful. Ford didn't need our help finding another school.

Reactions: 6 people
I completely agree Marques did everything that was ask of him on and off the field. Shady to drop him like we did when we did. Also UT trying to get positive PR by commenting that they are "helping him find another" school is shameful. Ford didn't need our help finding another school.

I hate reading the "helped him" stuff as well. Like they did him a favor or something. I'll react the same way every time. IMO, it will never be ok to do a kid like that whose doing things the right way.

The point I'm taking away, regardless of how this thread ends up getting steered, is that thinking the kids not all Vol because he has at least 1 more program as part of his decision is obtuse. This point gets obscured by passionate fan bases.

I hate reading the "helped him" stuff as well. Like they did him a favor or something. I'll react the same way every time. IMO, it will never be ok to do a kid like that whose doing things the right way.

Yup. At the very least support kids when they keep a backup school as another choice. Instead, folks get worked up into a froth when the kid doesn't give a "I'm 100% to ____ U".

Yup. At the very least support kids when they keep a backup school as another choice. Instead, folks get worked up into a froth when the kid doesn't give a "I'm 100% to ____ U".

Now that is where I differ a bit. Its been said Butch really leans on commitments to not visit elsewhere after choosing UT. Cecil Cherry is a good example. If the kid is committed and taking visits, IMO the coaches are within their rights to replace him. If he is committed, in good standing, and only focused on Tennessee, IMO his spot should be secure through NSD. Not a late GS or BS, but a LOI on NSD.

Reactions: 1 person
I actually mentioned this on NSD. Of course it was wrong. Of course the HS coach has every right to be upset. I actually like it that he straight up called them on it. If UT does it, I want the HS coach, kid, parents, everyone to bark about it. Imo it should not happen. I love the coach banned him. If these coaches pulling the shady stuff don't think it can affect them, they will just continue hanging kids out to dry. HS coach did the right thing.

IDK. I would never ban a school from visiting my players. Limiting their opinions that seems a little extreme. I would caution about that school though anytime a kid had the option to commit. If you ban one school for dropping a kid then it happens again then you have to ban that school as well.

I didn't like that or the Dews situation but I expect Butch to win football games first and foremost. I would rather that be without these types of things happening but no one is going to give a damn how nice a guy Butch is if he doesn't win. Right or wrong these situations and worse happen at almost every major school. The nature of recruiting itself would have to change for this to get better IMO. Perhaps the early signing period will help with these situations.

IDK. I would never ban a school from visiting my players. Limiting their opinions that seems a little extreme. I would caution about that school though anytime a kid had the option to commit. If you ban one school for dropping a kid then it happens again then you have to ban that school as well.

In reality banning a school only limits them from coming into your HS. Obviously that does not stop them from recruiting a kid altogether. When a coaching staff is pulling shady stuff, the HS coach banning them just sends a message to to future recruits of their tactics and to be aware they could be next.

Now that is where I differ a bit. Its been said Butch really leans on commitments to not visit elsewhere after choosing UT. Cecil Cherry is a good example. If the kid is committed and taking visits, IMO the coaches are within their rights to replace him. If he is committed, in good standing, and only focused on Tennessee, IMO his spot should be secure through NSD. Not a late GS or BS, but a LOI on NSD.

I may be wrong but it sounds like we agree. I want the staff to "lean on" recruits. I hope they commit early and shut it down. However, I'm not going to be upset or think less of a kid IF he has a backup. This was my revelation because its not how I've felt in the past.

Funny how you don't hear this about Saban, Meyer or any of the upper echelon coaches. Petrino is a good to great coach, but at Louisville, he is ripe to be the poster boy for a "statement" ban like this.

Funny how basketball recruiting is so different that football. Basketball there is an unwritten that once you commit to a school, everyone pretty much backs off.

Funny how basketball recruiting is so different that football. Basketball there is an unwritten that once you commit to a school, everyone pretty much backs off.

Still butthurt about losing Drew, I see.

Coaches can recruit the kids without going into the school. If a kid from that school really wants to go to UL, he just ends up sending his highlight tape to them instead of his coach doing it.

Agreed. You don't limit kid's options as a HS coach. If you start banning coaches when something like this happens you're going to get a reputation and colleges may start shying away from kids you coach. It's a very slippery slope. It is what it is. All parties should just move on IMO.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back