Mike Farrell on Negative Recruiting, Commitment Flips

VolFann9

Mike Farrell from Rivals was on the Scott Van Pelt show this afternoon. When asked about who is getting a reputation for stealing other schools' commits, he said Butch Jones and Tennessee, mentioning Drew Richmond. I don't see how he came to that conclusion, though, as Drew reached out to Butch Jones, and he said that his recruitment would go down to the wire regardless of commitment. I can't really think of an example where Butch flipped a commit through negative recruiting (not that I'm at the visits or anything). It appears on the surface that he waits for them to de-commit first (i.e. Kirkland, Sheriron Jones, etc.).

I did agree with Mike on how ridiculous it is that recruits go back so easily on their word. These coaches have to basically suck up to these kids, and people worship the ground they walk on. I enjoy national signing day and keep up with recruiting throughout the year, but it's blown way out of proportion. Of course, these recruiting services love it when kids commit and de-commit multiple times, because it helps them to sell memberships.

I normally don't care about what these people say, at least enough to post, but I thought I would share. We have a great class coming in with kids who appear to have good character. I don't see how we can't rise back towards the top of the SEC, barring disaster or terrible OC hire. Go Vols!

Reactions: 5 people
I would love for CBJ to have a rep for stealing 5* recruits. Can't see how that hurts anyone but old rebs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 people
I hope Butch gets a reputation for stealing other team's recruits. That's his damn job and it's fair game until the name is on the dotted line.

What a non-issue.

Reactions: 39 people
Urban Meyer has a reputation for stealing other teams' recruits. And two three national championships. I could live with that.

Reactions: 12 people
How did he steal something that you never owned Hugh?

It be like him stealing your appointment to the orthodontists

funny how stealing commits is always "fair in love, war and recruiting" until Tennessee pulls one away.

No school has been hit with negative recruiting more than Tennessee during kiffin and Dooley's tenure. I don't recall anyone crying any tears for "poor ole Tennessee".

Saban has stolen more than his share from La recently and no one says a thing.

Reactions: 10 people

Haha.

Seriously though, I wonder just how badly Hugh hates Butch now? He took him to the freaking cleaners with Kirkland, Phillips and Richmond. They are so screwed at MLB and OT because of that.

I hope Butch gets a reputation for stealing other team's recruits. That's his damn job and it's fair game until the name is on the dotted line.

What a non-issue.

I didn't say whether I thought it was right or wrong. I was just saying I don't see much evidence for it. It's a big decision. The recruit holds the right to make a last second change if they want to.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch be like

"Damn right I stole them"

"And you can bet your Bucky looking ass I'll do it again next year if you try and come in my state again."

B9AvIs1IgAEPhjK.jpg

Reactions: 27 people
Haha.

Seriously though, I wonder just how badly Hugh hates Butch now? He took him to the freaking cleaners with Kirkland, Phillips and Richmond. They are so screwed at MLB and OT because of that.

Don't care.

He scored that late TD against us and it will cost him in the long run. Show no class/receive no mercy.

I truly believe Butch is gunning for him now.

Reactions: 12 people
I didn't say whether I thought it was right or wrong. I was just saying I don't see much evidence for it. It's a big decision. The recruit holds the right to make a last second change if they want to.

Oh, I wasnt saying that towards you but to Mike Farrell :hi:

Urban Meyer has a reputation for stealing other teams' recruits. And two three national championships. I could live with that.

He referenced Urban as the king of it. Let's be honest, college football is a business. When you're getting paid that much, coaches are gonna do what they have to do to succeed.

He referenced Urban as the king of it. Let's be honest, college football is a business. When you're getting paid that much, coaches are gonna do what they have to do to succeed.

They better or end up coaching WRs for the Cowboys

We have a winner. If they were 'committed' to that school Butch couldn't steal them.

Wolverine: You going to tell me to stay away from your girl?
Cyclops: If I had to do that, she wouldn't be my girl.

Farrell was asked by SVP who has a reputation for pursuing commits that already had given a verbal. He said Urban was the most notorious and then offered up Butch after that. To me thats not a negative thing. As often as kids flip these days I think its smart to have a never give up attitude. I don't think Farrell in any way was calling Butch a dirty recruiter.

Farrell was asked by SVP who has a reputation for pursuing commits that already had given a verbal. He said Urban was the most notorious and then offered up Butch after that. To me thats not a negative thing. As often as kids flip these days I think its smart to have a never give up attitude. I don't think Farrell in any way was calling Butch a dirty recruiter.

Yeah, I remember Urban rustled some jimmies his first year in the B1G when he was flipping recruits like crazy. I think Bielema tried to say some nonsense about a "gentleman's agreement" about not recruiting other conference team's commits.

I hate Urban as much as the next guy but that's a load of hogwash. I think Bielema probably understands that's life in the cutthroat SEC.

Auburn reigns king of commitment flips.

Let's be honest, every school pays star players in some capacity, but I think Auburn is the king of it. Did you see the recruit who flipped from Texas to Auburn and posted the snapchat pic of all the cash? You know Malzahn was like, "Dang, son."

What's with this "stealing" concept.......isn't it more like just winning them over? In other words, isn't that just what recruiting is?? Some people are utterly clueless.

VN Store

Back