'14 TN ATH Lannom Sowell (new walk-on)

kamoshika

athlete_171972_profile.jpg

Lannom Sowell's Men's Basketball Recruiting Profile

* Signal Mountain HS, Signal Mountain, TN
* 6-7, 250

This thread may not belong in recruiting as this kid is already an enrolled student, but Sowell is an intriguing prospect. He's a big guy who opted to play basketball in HS but not football. Have read that he was a very physical presence as a post player with a bit of mean streak. And while the odds are slim that he'll ever make an impact on the football field, you just never know.

As for Sowell, paying attention to the university web site paid off in his rare bid to join the Vols' football team after having not played at Signal Mountain. "I heard about the opportunity to walk on through the UT web site," he said. "The tryouts were on Jan. 22 and I just decided to go out there and try for it."

The plan worked out well.

Coaches asked Sowell if he played football in high school and he "straight out" told them he had not, but he had experience playing basketball.

"Their reaction was a lot better than you would expect," the 18-year-old business marketing major said in a telephone interview from Knoxville. "I talked with Patrick Abernathy, who's the head of the walk-on process and when I told him I did not play football, he said, 'You know what? We can work with that. I can't coach size, but we can coach football.'"

Owls' Toser Gets Preferred Walk-On Spot At Tennessee - Chattanoogan.com

Reactions: 9 people
Has height, weight, and a mean streak. Sounds like a blocking tight end to me. Welcome to the Vols.

Reactions: 1 person
Played a little ball against him and his size is very intriguing. I will say that it seems like most of his weight is upper body which is a little odd, but he is definitely a great competitor so I wish him the best of luck and hope he turns out like Ellis or Gilliam.

Has height, weight, and a mean streak. Sounds like a blocking tight end to me. Welcome to the Vols.

Looks like LT project to me. Eric Fisher was only 245 as a college Freshman and only played for one year in HS. Not saying just saying.........

Last edited:
2 years in the weight room and practice and who knows. What does he or UT have to lose? Win win in my book.

Welcome aboard Mr Sowell!:hi:

Unless you personally know him, how on earth could you possibly know he has a mean streak?

Improving inside force, Lannom has a mean streak which when controlled makes him a devastating offensive rebounder and a true post presence on the interior. He has improved his footwork and can score over either shoulder. He is still a bit mechanical at times so more lateral drills and continued footwork will only assist him this season. He has made massive improvements in his game and the best is yet to come.
Carson Newman Showcase Evaluations (Indiana and Illinois) | Tennessee Prep Hoops

I've heard that Lanom runs a 4.8 or 4.9 40. For a 6'7" 250 pounder that is insane. He carries all of his weight in his upper body so with weight lifting he could easily be 270. Sounds pretty good to me...

VN Store

Back