NSD Recruiting Tales

One of the better signing day stories I heard was from a kid from Texas, Harvey Williams, a 5 star RB from around Houston area. He was walking up to the stage to declare for Texas A&M on signing day but a group of girls started singing the Aggie Fight Song and it pissed him off so he declared for LSU!

Another one was yrs ago in Tiger Rag, they used to have a recruit profile on every recruit LSU signed. They asked the players questions about favorite movie, favorite food, and Bowl game they most wanted to play in. One dude said "Rose Bowl". I thought that was one recruiting trick cause that cat wasn't playing in the Rose Bowl with LSU

The best recuiting story is mine.......I waited for weeks for someone, anyone, Div I, II, III, IV..........no calls. So, I accepted an invite to enlist in the USAF, and you know what? best decision I ever made. The recuiter made it sound like "home" they shaved my head, took my cloths and dressed me in the ugliest green uniform, long story short...24 years later, I retired. I did play football again, at the base level, had a blast! the best part was all the great people I was fortunate to meet and work with.

Go Air Force!!! :salute:

Reactions: 33 people
The best recuiting story is mine.......I waited for weeks for someone, anyone, Div I, II, III, IV..........no calls. So, I accepted an invite to enlist in the USAF, and you know what? best decision I ever made. The recuiter made it sound like "home" they shaved my head, took my cloths and dressed me in the ugliest green uniform, long story short...24 years later, I retired. I did play football again, at the base level, had a blast! the best part was all the great people I was fortunate to meet and work with.

Thank you for your service to our great country...oh and for the recruiting story as well.

Reactions: 4 people
The best recuiting story is mine.......I waited for weeks for someone, anyone, Div I, II, III, IV..........no calls. So, I accepted an invite to enlist in the USAF, and you know what? best decision I ever made. The recuiter made it sound like "home" they shaved my head, took my cloths and dressed me in the ugliest green uniform, long s tory short...24 years later, I retired. I did play football again, at the base level, had a blast! the best part was all the great people I was fortunate to meet and work with.

Were you the "big fish"? Jk, thanks for your service! Go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
Wasn't it Terrell Owens who accepted an offer to play football at the University of Tennessee only to find out it was actually UTC?

Go Army!!!! :peace2:

Had to make it competitive. :)

Reactions: 1 person
mad.gif

Wasn't it Terrell Owens who accepted an offer to play football at the University of Tennessee only to find out it was actually UTC?

Yup, the story goes he showed up at their campus and said something like this to the coach. "Coach, I don't see how that stadium holds 100k people." He was then informed he was at the wrong UT.

Watching the 30 for 30 about Marcus Dupree the recruiters of little UT and OU rented motel rooms so they could be next to each other.

as a former Air Force recruiter...I thank you for your trust in that recruiter and for your service.

Reactions: 1 person
My favorite was Julian Battle. He was committed to NC State and on NSD Faxed NC state his LOI. Then he got a call from UT with a scholly offer. We had missed on some NSD DBs and had a spot for Battle. luckily the Battles realized that his mother had forgotten to sign the LOI she faxed to NCst. They both signed a new LOI for UT and he went on to be a three year starter fo us.

Remember that crappy class Dooley pulled in??? Ya know, the one EVERY SINGLE YEAR....

VN Store

Back