Over Signing and the attrition that follows.

LebanonVolunteer

With the large classes and all the kids deciding to transfer we can at least try to keep up with it here.

Lost since the 2013 class.

Brown
Ferguson
Carr
Jenkins
Harris
Lee
Paulk
Henderson
Helm
Scott
Payne
Wharton
Sawyers
Hendrix
Peterman
King

If there is any missing, just say the word

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Jabo didn't make it in. Hurd, Paulk, and Scott. Hurd is the only one left.

We'll take 3 this year then just 1 next. Then as they hit the door early, you're back to needing 3 again instead of that 1. Imo, this will be more the norm than not. I think it ends up being an issue long term. We'll see.

It's pretty disingenuous to try and use Paulk to make your point though. He was thrown off the team for getting into trouble. It's not like he left because he was unhappy with playing time or was recruited over.

If anything, Paulk is an example of why you should take 3 RBs per class.

Reactions: 10 people
Freak suggested this might be a useful thread.

With the large classes and all the kids deciding to transfer we can at least try to keep up with it here.

To be 100% honest, I hope we have a lot of guys transferring every year. That means we have plenty of competition on the team and some guys just aren't willing to do the work. Attrition is gonna happen regardless, but I want the best of the best on the field. Others can find an easier spot elsewhere...not everyone is cut out for what is brewing in Knoxville.

Reactions: 8 people
To be 100% honest, I hope we have a lot of guys transferring every year. That means we have plenty of competition on the team and some guys just aren't willing to do the work. Attrition is gonna happen regardless, but I want the best of the best on the field. Others can find an easier spot elsewhere...not everyone is cut out for what is brewing in Knoxville.

Losing a handful each year seems reasonable, but I'd hope it levels out to losing less than this year.

That should happen as our classes get smaller and smaller though

Reactions: 3 people

I'd rather see them signing a reasonable class numbers wise, develop them, and benefit from having JR & SR heavy classes.

Reactions: 5 people
Losing a handful each year seems reasonable, but I'd hope it levels out to losing less than this year.

That should happen as our classes get smaller and smaller though

You're going to lose around five from each class of 25 anyway to stay at 85. If we happen to lose a few more who aren't progressing for whatever reason then so be it. It is what it is.

Freak suggested this might be a useful thread.

I honestly can't think of anything less useful or more painful - perhaps a root canal or a meeting with an insurance agent. . I genuinely hate these threads particularly this time of year. I would be curious where u started - how many we would sign this year - weren't u around 16- 18 earlier this year ?

Reactions: 6 people
I honestly can't think of anything less useful or more painful - perhaps a root canal or a meeting with an insurance agent. . I genuinely hate these threads particularly this time of year. I would be curious where u started - how many we would sign this year - weren't u around 16- 18 earlier this year ?

Yup. 11-12 was the number for quite awhile. Once the mass exodus started, it was tough to keep up. Scary thing is its actually 11-12 SR's on the way out. To sign 25-30, that's losing 14-18 more from the roster. Imo, insane for a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Why is this so surprising? Butch's sales pitch to most recruits was early playing time and rightfully so. With the large number of recruits there were some who didn't want to wait for year 2 or 3 to play, and others who knew they were being recruited over. Most want to go somewhere to play and not sit on the bench. There were others who didn't take the hard coaching it takes for the program to be pulled out of the deep hole.

It is notable that the sales pitch now is more "family" and not so much early playing time. I would think that over time the attrition will decrease. I don't believe it is worth its on sticky thread except for those who want to pixx and moan. If you think the topic deserves a thread, though, have at it.

Reactions: 10 people
Flipping the roster as fast as they can. Not really hard to understand. Doubt we keep doing it. Beat that dead horse!

Reactions: 5 people
We are just fine with players that remain on the roster and the super new freshman who are coming in . In a few years we should start losing guys to the NFL . That is the cool thing about redshirting players who cannot win starting positions as freshmen. They can graduate with a year of eligibility left where they can focus on football alone . Whether it be college or entering the draft with their degree in hand.

Leb I think this is needed to increase overall talent and team speed . If this is happens next year then I would worry . If sophomores and freshmen are starting the juniors amd seniors are going to be looking to leave .It is that simple.

Leb I think this is needed to increase overall talent and team speed . If this is happens next year then I would worry . If sophomores and freshmen are starting the juniors amd seniors are going to be looking to leave .It is that simple.

What I'm kind of pointing to is taking 3 QBs and 3RBs IMO are examples of UT setting itself up to continue seeing a lot of attrition going forward.

What I'm kind of pointing to is taking 3 QBs and 3RBs IMO are examples of UT setting itself up to continue seeing a lot of attrition going forward.

That is true but it also gives us depth a back up in case of injury or if a kid cannot make the grades and a way better chance of getting a homerun. I say let the competition begin .

Signee's lost since the 2013 class.

Brown
Ferguson
Carr
Jenkins
Harris
Lee
Paulk
Henderson
Helm
Scott
Payne
Wharton
Sawyers
Hendrix

If there is any missing, just say the word.

Last edited:
The attrition isn't a side effect, it's a requirement and is desirable. You can only keep 17 per class, if you expect to red shirt and keep them for full eligibility. To build a quality program, you take as many as allowed, of the highest quality you can find, and keep the best 17-21 per year. Since we were extremely depleted to start with, the roster flip needed to be even more aggressive, but even when we are healthy, this will still be Butch's MO. Best get used to it.

I realize this won't satisfy the more obsessive among us, but there really isn't a problem here.

Signee's lost since the 2013 class.

Brown
Ferguson
Carr
Harris
Lee
Paulk
Henderson
Helm
Scott

I know there is a group that's been talked about leaving, but not sure that it's final yet.(Hendrix, Payne, Wharton, Sawyers).

If there is any missing, just say the word.

Michael Williams?

We're down to one experienced scholarship QB and will have two available for the Orange and White game (Dormady sitting out)...Dobbs seems to have that rare ability of not taking full on hits but one freak landing and we're down to three true freshmen for the year ...that nowhere near an overglut...this reminds me of Peyton's sophomore year, after the NCAA denied Colquitt's medical redshirt and Stewart transferred...we were down to Jeremy Bates behind Manning...emergency QB was Benji Shuler iirc! Last year our RB situation was a hair trigger at times when Hurd was dinged up...Lane was never fully healthy and Scott didn't have it...we needed more options then but had to shoehorn Pickett in! We have to have all of these extra bodies and it's not just my opinion... It's Butch's...'s why he's recruiting them. Recruiting scared to try to be a Gerry Faust type of father/coach gets that level of success.

We're down to one experienced scholarship QB and will have two available for the Orange and White game (Dormady sitting out)...Dobbs seems to have that rare ability of not taking full on hits but one freak landing and we're down to three true freshmen for the year ...that nowhere near an overglut...this reminds me of Peyton's sophomore year, after the NCAA denied Colquitt's medical redshirt and Stewart transferred...we were down to Jeremy Bates behind Manning...emergency QB was Benji Shuler iirc! Last year our RB situation was a hair trigger at times when Hurd was dinged up...Lane was never fully healthy and Scott didn't have it...we needed more options then but had to shoehorn Pickett in! We have to have all of these extra bodies and it's not just my opinion... It's Butch's...'s why he's recruiting them. Recruiting scared to try to be a Gerry Faust type of father/coach gets that level of success.

I agree . I am also interested to see who gets redshirted among the Qbs . I think Butch redshirts the best freshman. Seems to be his style.

Had they not taken 2 QBs in 2013 with Worley and Peterman returning, they might have got 1 in 2014. Take 1 in 2014 and you don't need to take a silly number in 2015, especially with the clear starter returning in Dobbs. Had they got a RB in 2013, they would not have needed to take 3 in 2014. It's all about reasonable class numbers IMO. If you take a QB every year and maybe 2 every other year, you will be fine. Take 2RBs a year and you'll be fine. You will still have some attrition. Taking extras because you screwed up the year before does not help IMO. They just transfer and you wasted a spot you could have used on another position that might stick around long enough to benefit from it.

VN Store

Back