Diondre Overton
Wide Receiver
Greensboro, NC (Page)
Ht: 6-5 | Wt: 195
Class of 2016

Rivals
Hudl

Vols offered.

North Carolina wide receiver Diondre Overton received an offer from Tennessee tonight. He is planning on being in Knoxville on Feb. 21 for the Vols' junior day. He's got a cool story as he just finished his first year of basketball and he balled out. He's 6-5 and looked really good for a guy his size this past season. High ceiling.
-P. Fort

Last edited:
Per Hubbs

Mark Elder was in North Carolina on Tuesday and saw wide receiver target Diondre Overton play basketball and Tennessee was the first SEC offer today to the jumbo wideout who also holds a few Div. 1 basketball offers.

Oveton told Volquest.com he plans to be on campus in February for the Vols' junior day on Feb. 21.

Reactions: 1 person
"I grew up playing football and basketball when I was younger," Overton explained. "But, this year I played football to try and get stronger for basketball. My intentions weren't to play football (in college) but I started to get the feel of it and love it and I became a great player."

The Vols have been keeping a close eye on Overton and Mark Elder was by the school on Tuesday to offer. "It was really big for me to pick up an SEC offer. It's a great opportunity. It makes me want to explore my options more and look into the schools," Overton said. "He told me they are really interested in me. He told me about how they do things there and how they are family oriented down there," Overton said.

Overton plans to get a first-hand look at the Vols in February when he plans to visit for one of the Vols' junior days on Feb. 21. "I look forward to seeing the atmosphere and the feel of the campus. I want to see what my relationship is like with the coaches. I want to see what players I vibe with, too," Overton said.."I started watching them this year because a guy I knew went there. I knew Emmanuel Moseley form playing him a couple of times in basketball. He got to play a lot this season," Overton added.

-Rivals

Reactions: 2 people
VQ

The other big-time receiver that's scheduled to be in besides Tennyson and Hardman is North Carolina receiver Diondre Overton.

Overton currently lists Clemson as his leader but Tennessee has been interested in him for some time now and getting him on campus is big. It's also worth remembering that Overton was first a basketball prospect before a receiver prospect and while his future is likely on the gridiron he would like the chance at basketball at his future landing spot.

Overton is just one of a handful of North Carolina prospects expected in town this weekend and that's a credit to the hard work of Mark Elder who has done a really good job in making the Vols a real factor in the Tar Heel State, especially the western part of the state.

This kid would be a huge get! Nice size, and very athletic. Also doesn't hurt that he has a really good wingspan. Want this kid.

Was apparently in today and said UT was "at the top". Can't find the article but I think it's on 247

247 sports:

“Today was great,” said Overton, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 214 overall prospect and No. 39 wide receiver in the 247Sports Composite for the 2016 class. “I really liked the facility. Before coming in here, Coach ‘Z’ (wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni) said I was going to love it, which I did. It lived up to its name.

“I liked it a lot. It definitely caught my attention — definitely moved Tennessee up there. … Definitely, Clemson and Tennessee (stand out) right now.”

A two-sport standout who also claims a basketball offer from Virginia Tech, Overton said one of the highlights of the visit was meeting with Tennessee basketball coach Donnie Tyndall shortly after he arrived on campus.

Overton is interested in playing both football and basketball in college — at least during his first year — and Tyndall made it clear that the Vols are willing to give him the opportunity to do that.

“When we first got there, we walked over to the gym and went in (Tyndall’s) office,” Overton said. “He said some stuff to me, like he would love to give me an opportunity to play there and stuff like that. It’s just great to have the opportunity to play and have that option there. It’s just a great experience to have.

“It meant a lot. It really showed me that they’re serious about giving me that chance and that opportunity. There’s not many places that are serious about that. Them showing me that I could actually meet the head coach there — and him accepting me, saying that I could actually do that — that just feels great.

“I mean, I haven’t met with any other (basketball) head coaches at any other visits that I’ve been to other than Tennessee.”

Reactions: 3 people
I like this kid. We need a few outside receivers in this class, and he looks to be a good one.

“Definitely Tennessee is up there,” Overton told InsideTennessee. “It’s hard to pick right now. So, I mean they’re at the top.

“It felt like it was a great atmosphere,” Overton said of viewing Neyland Stadium. “The stadium is a lot bigger than others. Just imagining that those stands are filled brought joy to my heart. I just like the environment here.”

Scout

"Coach Z told me coming in that it was going to be a great facility and it really lived up to its name," Overton said. "He told me I was going to love it which I did. Tennessee is definitely up there now with Clemson. It's getting hard to choose from now."

"They are showing me that at-home environment. It's a place I could myself being. The players seem really cool and I got to meet some of them," Overton explained. "I really like the nutrition part of things, like having it right after they work out. Everything is pretty nice up here."

"They told me they needed receivers because a lot of receivers will be leaving and they think I could start my first year here and that's something I can look into," Overton said. "Coach Z is a cool person. He's a cool guy to be around and he made me feel kind of like a friend," Overton explained. "I feel comfortable around him and I could see him being my wide receivers coach. He let me know what it takes to be a wide receiver here and showed me some videos of them here."

A unique aspect of his visit with his opportunity to sit down with Tennessee head baskebatll coach Donnie Tyndall Saturday morning. "When I first came here I checked out the gym and met with the head coach. It was pretty cool; a great experience," Overton said. "I'm glad I did that. I'm glad to see that they're giving me an opportunity to do both. "That meant a lot, really. Just giving me that opportunity shows me that they are serious about it and not many places are like that."

-VQ

Reactions: 3 people
Deondre Overton versus Juvall Mollette

another case of rivals misranking. Overton much more athletic, faster, better hands, and level of competition not even close.all u can do is laugh. UT and Clemson both stopped pursuing Mollette by the way

Per Callahan

Overton, a four-star prospect in the 247Sports Composite, has racked up more than a dozen offers since early December and recently has emerged as one of Tennessee’s early top targets at wide receiver. He visited the Vols for the first time Saturday and said they impressed him enough to move to the top of his list alongside Clemson. A two-sport standout who also holds a basketball offer from Virginia Tech, Overton has said he’s hoping to play both football and basketball for at least his first year of college.

Told Fortenberry that it's UT or Clemson for him right now. Overton plans to visit both one more time in the Spring/Summer.

VN Store

Back