Stars..Stars..Stars

VolnJC

I know there are far fewer 5 stars every year but I thought this was an interesting stat..there and no five star players in the Super Bowl and there are 44 2 stars.

@ZehDuck I think there's 44 2 stars

ZehDuck @ZehDuck
· 2h 2 hours ago
There are zero five star recruits playing in the Super Bowl. That's unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
What was Tom Brady ranked out of highschool? Was rivals even thought of then? That stat is flawed imo. Most older guys came through with no rankings. I feel the rankings get more and more accurate every year.

Pats and Seahawks are the best at using guys in different ways and getting undervalued players.

Yeah you can always get a good veteran player who might want to take less money for a chance at a ring..Pats are the best at that ,but they are also good at getting free agents, who were either a tad small or went to a lessor known school.

I know there are far fewer 5 stars every year but I thought this was an interesting stat..there and no five star players in the Super Bowl and there are 44 2 stars.

ZehDuck @ZehDuck
· 2h 2 hours ago
There are zero five star recruits playing in the Super Bowl. That's unbelievable.

is this going to make u stop recruiting players of the 5* caliber And make u get more 2*??

Wow. 44 2*'s that's crazy. It's always amazed me watching Monday night football when the players introduce themselves. You'd expect them all to be from major programs yet often times more than half of them are from smaller schools. It's just impossible to project what a 17 year old will be once they are fully developed.

What was Tom Brady ranked out of highschool? Was rivals even thought of then? That stat is flawed imo. Most older guys came through with no rankings. I feel the rankings get more and more accurate every year.

I think Brady was pre-stars..and honestly I wish they would stop doing that, along with recruiting services taking it upon themselves to crown the "recruiting champion"..of course if we didn't demand the info they wouldn't exist.

This is the Pats from 2012
No stars (6)
CB Kyle Arrington (Hofstra), LB Dane Fletcher (Montana State), S James Ihedigbo (Massachusetts), OG/C Nick McDonald (Grand Valley State), CB Antwaun Molden (Toledo/Eastern Kentucky), OG Donald Thomas (Connecticut).
Two stars (12)
LS Danny Aiken (Virginia), S Patrick Chung (Oregon), WR/CB Julian Edelman (Kent State), K Stephen Gostkowski (Memphis), RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis (Indiana/Ole Miss), LB Gary Guyton (Georgia Tech), DT Kyle Love (Mississippi State), CB Devin McCourty (Rutgers), DB Sterling Moore (SMU), OT Sebastian Vollmer (Houston), C/OG Ryan Wendell (Fresno State), RB Danny Woodhead (Chadron State).
Three stars (10)
DT Ron Brace (Boston College), S Sergio Brown (Notre Dame), OT Marcus Cannon (TCU), DE Brandon Deaderick (Alabama), QB Brian Hoyer (Michigan State), P Zoltan Mesko (Michigan), LB Rob Ninkovich (Purdue), DE Alex Silvestro (Rutgers), WR Matthew Slater (UCLA), OT Nate Solder (Colorado).
Four stars (6)
TE Rob Gronkowski (Arizona), TE Aaron Hernandez (Florida), LB Jerod Mayo (Tennessee), RB Stevan Ridley (LSU), RB Shane Vereen (Califiornia), DB Malcolm Williams (TCU)
Five stars (2)
QB Ryan Mallett (Michigan/Arkansas), Brandon Spikes (Florida)
Pre-Rivals era (17)
DE Mark Anderson (Alabama), QB Tom Brady (Michigan), WR Deion Branch (Louisville), OG Dan Connolly (Southeast Missouri State), DE Shaun Ellis (Tennessee), RB Kevin Faulk (LSU), DB Nate Jones (Rutgers), LB Niko Koutouvides (Purdue), OT Matt Light (Purdue), OG Logan Mankins (Fresno State), WR Chad Ochocinco (Oregon State), FB Lousaka Polite (Pittsburgh), DT Gerard Warren (Florida), OG Brian Waters (North Texas), WR Wes Welker (Texas Tech), LB Tracy White (Howard), DT Vince Wilfork (Miami).

Reactions: 1 person
Lol.....I'm sorry, but it's comical to me just how serious "star gazers" are. There simply is not "that much" difference between a 4/5star player...and there are COUNTLESS 3 star players that look and play like 5 star players by the time they're sophomores and juniors. It's called player development. The recruiting "star game" is for the fans...and recruiting services make a killing off of the "game". Our coach's player evaluation means a lot more to me than a "recruiting" service evaluation.

The better coaches pay little attention to the stars awarded by people paid far less than they make - for a reason.

Butch's criteria begin with character and work ethic. Those fail to register as stars. The better coaches seem able to evaluate raw talent - and coach it up. The stars are for the entertainment of us wannabees.

Reactions: 3 people
Wow. 44 2*'s that's crazy. It's always amazed me watching Monday night football when the players introduce themselves. You'd expect them all to be from major programs yet often times more than half of them are from smaller schools. It's just impossible to project what a 17 year old will be once they are fully developed.

You see a lot more of that now than years and years ago. I think that is because of salary cap issues. If they can get a UDFA for the league minimum and that player is just about as good as a 4-5th round draft choice then go cheap to save the money for a big time guy like Brady/Manning/ type players.

One must be careful of such talk. I was ridiculed pretty good for stating some of the same things except not about stars but attitude as well. So many today want to be LaBron and take their talents to X,Y or Z and have never played a down of big boy football and expect the world to stop, change the offense and baby them like they have been in high school so they can play on Sunday.....work is what gets you there.

Go back and look at all the 5 star recruits that washed out and yes I know many have made it but without having any stats to back it up I bet more 3 & 4 stars graduated and are in the NFL today. Look at any roster of any pro team and notice how many of them come from small schools. They had to learn how to work to get to where they are.

ZehDuck @ZehDuck
· 2h 2 hours ago

You are totally correct about 17 yr olds. Star ranking are not an accurate barometer to measure 22 or 23 year old players. Star rankings measure how ready a player is to contribute to a team. A 5 star should be ready to contribute immediately. A 4 star has a good chance to contribute early, but depends on the teams depth. After 2 or 3 years in a D1 program, their high school star rating doesn't matter as much.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight the op misses the days of 2 n 3 star dools

N they love tn n coached up...lol

Geez . do we need to run the numbers over n over again.

Its the jimmy n joes folks

VN Store

Back