Tennessee has Nation's Largest Recruiting Expense Budget

Enki_Amenra

Wanna Bet?
Which Colleges Spend the Most and Least on Recruiting for Men's Athletics? | Bleacher Report

Did you know that FBS schools spent an average of $700,000 last year on men’s team recruiting expenses?

That's according to the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education, which accumulates and reports athletic revenues and expenses by institution, including recruiting spending for men’s and women’s team sports.

Recruiting expenses are defined by the Equity in Athletics Disclosure as:

All expenses an institution incurs attributable to recruiting activities. This includes, but is not limited to, expenses for lodging, meals, telephone use, and transportation (including vehicles used for recruiting purposes) for both recruits and personnel engaged in recruiting, and other expenses for official and unofficial visits, and all other expenses related to recruiting.

Top 10 Spenders: Men's Recruiting Expenses 2013-14

1 Tennessee ....SEC .....$2,096,236

2 Auburn ........SEC ......$2,061,288

3 Penn St .....Big Ten ...$1,972,696

4 Alabama ......SEC .....$1,708,683

5 Nebraska ...Big Ten ..$1,566,742

6 Notre Dame ..Ind .....$1,535,545

7 Indiana .....Big Ten ..$1,468,216

8 Illinois .......Big Ten ..$1,419,475

9 Michigan ...Big Ten ...$1,348,482

10 Duke ........ACC .....$1,312,741​

Click the link for the rest of a much more in depth article.

This has been the case for many years going back to Fulmer. You got to pay to play at a high level against our stiff competition.

Reactions: 9 people
This.

It's nothing new. Of course, Auburn is the true #1, with all those handshakes off the books

I think it's a good reminder for those who still think our athletic department is in bad shape.

I also think it tells how much of an upgrade this staff brings over previous years. Considering the impressive results of this football staff's recruiting efforts compared to the former staff, with virtually an equal budget, I'd say CBJ & co. are still a bargain even after the recent pay raises and extension.

Reactions: 5 people
I think it's a good reminder for those who still think our athletic department is in bad shape.

I also think it tells how much of an upgrade this staff brings over previous years. Considering the impressive results of this football staff's recruiting efforts compared to the former staff, with virtually an equal budget, I'd say CBJ & co. are still a bargain even after the recent pay raises and extension.

I think it is a reminder of how schools like Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan that don't have a natural talent base have got to travel a little further in order to reach potential recruits. We aren't in Atlanta or Miami and East Tennessee doesn't have an abundance of 4 and 5 star athletes. The Lady Vols recruit softball players from California, basketball players from Oregon so I am sure their recruiting budget is probably larger than most of their competitors because it has to be in order to compete.

Lastly, it is a sad reminder of just how bad Dooley was. With all those resources - he was busy alienating all the coaches in Tennessee, all the former players, etc. Hey I guess all those coaches, players, recruits had to do was pick up the phone and call him. In direct contrast, Coach Jones and staff are remarkable recruiters and teachers and we are blessed to have them.

Lastly number two, when you include the salary of the staffs - who are the recruiters and technically part of the recruiting effort - I think we fall behind Alabama, LSU, Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Georgia, Texas, Texas AM, Southern Cal and others.

Reactions: 4 people
Here's another interesting number - whose Athletic Director is paid the most money and it's not even close?

Vanderbilt - at 3.3 million - I think Foley is second at 1.4.

Reactions: 4 people
That's 80k per kid. That why when a kid quits people complain. And it's not just the money... Its also the slot he took. But I'll give this staff credit, they have done an amazing job getting our kids to honor their commitment. They are creating an amazing culture here. Now if on game day Butch would just....... Jk!

Reactions: 2 people
Louisiana-Monroe spends the least at 96k/year. Isn't that the University that the waterboy attended? Lol!!!

We had an enormous signing class last year of course we spent more money booking it back and forth across the country. We go after the best players in the nation no matter where they live. We signed 6 more recruits than Bama and 8 more than Auburn as well.

I wonder how much UF and FSU spend? Can't be much. They can fill their classes just using athletes who live in a 30-mile radius around campus.

This.

It's nothing new. Of course, Auburn is the true #1, with all those handshakes off the books

And Alabama is close 2nd with all those new cars they give away and let's not forget about all the referees they recruit :)

Tennessee has gotten serious in recruiting and it's good to see

UT has always had the highest budget at least throughout the Fulmer years and the Kiffin's brief stay. Unless it changed when Dooley was HC, we have consistently had the highest recruiting budget.

And Alabama is close 2nd with all those new cars they give away and let's not forget about all the referees they recruit :)
Yep. That elephant size caveat is the amount of $$$ spent by boosters, which can way out-size a school's budget. I'm willing to surmise the barn and tide enjoy a bigger boost from boosters than even UT or FU or the dawgs, et al...and that's a lot. Just like politicians (all of them...I'm not so numb-skulled to believe we've got separation of saints and sinners in that cesspool of elected thieves), off-the-book contributions can eclipse all else.

VN Store

Back