How on earth do we...

gr82batnvol

stay #6 on Rivals with this recruiting class? Behind Clemson and Georgia still? I mean, the whole site is just terrible now, not just the rankings. Half the time when you click on a position for 2015, it shows last years class. I have to highlight 2014 in the url and change it to 2015. It's really pretty sad. Their system for ranking makes little sense. The 3 stars pull down the rest, even if you have more 4 and 5 stars than other teams. They've been my go-to site for years but I think I'm liking 247sports much better.

Reactions: 2 people
I generally follow 247. I normally will base stars off the the 247 composite ranking.

I used to be the huge Rivals advocate among my buddies that follow recruiting. I've given up on them at this point. 247 is the way to go. Rivals is always way late to the party on everything, plus I enjoy crystal ball predictions

My opinion is that they are bias towards the players that play in the All American game that they sponsor the over than the ones who play in the other 2 or 3...

Last edited:
the people who used to own and run Rivals,now do so for 247...
thats why Rivals is horrible now,all the best people left for 247 after Shannon Terry sold Rivals and started 247

Reactions: 1 person
I used to be a huge Rivals guy and still use it as a 2nd reference, but 247 has won me over. They've tried to push me away with Rucker's lack of writing skills. Don't get me started on his grammar.

I heard they only take the top 20 players in ur class

They do. We have 16 4&5 stars while Clemson has 11. So basically what they're saying is Clemson's next 9 are better than our next 4 based on their value system.

Bama recruits get bumps according to a fired rivals anaylst few yrs ago. I mean from the top 5 DTs or any position, how can one really know who the best is. But I do think they appease the bammer faithful bc I suspect some websites get most of their revenue from them. What's difference in a high 3 star and low 4 star. How u determine who deserves what? Truly a class is graded 4 yrs after they sign

Bama recruits get bumps according to a fired rivals anaylst few yrs ago. I mean from the top 5 DTs or any position, how can one really know who the best is. But I do think they appease the bammer faithful bc I suspect some websites get most of their revenue from them. What's difference in a high 3 star and low 4 star. How u determine who deserves what? Truly a class is graded 4 yrs after they sign

I've always disagreed with this to be honest. A class is judged by exactly what it is, which is talent. How talented are the high school players you bring in?

There are too many variables between signing day and 4 years later. A top 10 recruiting class may flourish under Saban, but would bust under Dooley. Once the talent is there, it's up to the coaches to get the most out of it.

Reactions: 1 person
247's user interface is so much more superior. I can click on a recruit's profile and not only see his offers, but the date of those offers, as well as official and unofficial visit dates. Couple this with multiple features that give the user a gauge at which schools are truly out in front and 247 is boss. I rarely even look at Rivals profiles anymore.

Any recruiting service that has Khalil and Preston Williams rated just a 4* has no credibility in my mind. Those are the two best recruits in the nation at their position.

I wouldn't trade Mack or Thompson for K-Mac...and not just because of Khalil's UT pedigree. The guy is literally going to terrorize the SEC. Thompson may be a good DT, but he's not even in K-Mac's league.

Preston Williams....same thing. Has the best combination of size, speed and talent of ANY WR in the country. Wouldn't trade him for 2 of the other WR's.

Reactions: 3 people
I've always disagreed with this to be honest. A class is judged by exactly what it is, which is talent. How talented are the high school players you bring in?

There are too many variables between signing day and 4 years later. A top 10 recruiting class may flourish under Saban, but would bust under Dooley. Once the talent is there, it's up to the coaches to get the most out of it.
True, but I have always felt recruits who Bama happens to pursue, tend to get thrust into the spotlight and bumped up in the ratings, where they would not have otherwise.

Case in point, that big DT from KY, last year, who we recruited but not heavily. He was a 3 star for the longest. But the moment Bama offered him, he suddenly rose to a 4* on Rivals. I forget his name, but he signed with KY anyway. So, yeah...I think a case can be made that Bama's rankings are somewhat inflated, just like their regular season rankings.

Voted no.1 all year long, but falls far short of that at the end, more often than not. I think their class is probably more of a 4-6 than a true No.1

VN Store

Back