Who ya got at QB? (For the future)

roosterjbh

Hello my fellow Volnationers! I wanted to start a thread to talk about our current QB commits, and which one is the favorite of the three. Before someone says "C'mon! Theys all VFLS!", I get that. However this is a message board, and I'd like to hear y'all's opinions.

I personally like Dormady the best. If he stays healthy I believe the sky is the limit for him, especially given his arm talent. He has everything you look for with his arm strength and touch, plus he is way underrated athletically when you watch on film and if that shuttle time is anywhere close to being right on his HUDL profile. He can run the offense and we have a guy who can really push the ball down the field to what I believe our underutilized big receivers. If he quickens his release a bit and gains a bit more accuracy, I think his skills really translate to the next level.

I could also see Jennings being the guy. He reminds me a lot of Dobbs the way he runs. He probably looks much faster in person, and always makes that first guy miss. Honestly he looks like he has pretty good arm strength, and doesn't throw a bad ball. His obviously very raw, but the jump from Junior year to his Senior year was huge. He didn't even look like the same QB. He fits the system great and has good arm strength. I wouldn't count the TN boy out.

I'm not sure how to feel about Jones. I know he is highly thought of by both the recruiting services and obviously our staff, but I do not see the arm strength the other two have. Obviously he can run, it seems he is very polished with his mechanics. I know he probably plays great competition out in California and put up big numbers so we will see.

Honestly, the best one out of the bunch may not be here until 2016, so I'm really excited about our future under center. (Or a few yards behind him)

Last edited:
There is absolutely no way to predict the future situation... Remember Worley was Gatorade player of the year (he was good, not that good) and everyone thought Riley Ferguson was the next Stafford...

Just random guess? Dormandy

There is absolutely no way to predict the future situation... Remember Worley was Gatorade player of the year (he was good, not that good) and everyone thought Riley Ferguson was the next Stafford...

I get that, just wanted to see what everyone's opinions were on their skills and such. I think everyone has a favorite of the three.

Reactions: 3 people
I really like all 3 QB's. It will really bring out the best competition for all 3.

As for upside, you have to like JaJuan Jennings. He hasn't played QB very long, and he took his team to a State Championship his senior year. He has tons of upside.

Reactions: 1 person
As I said a couple days ago, Dobbs will be the starter. The three new QBs will compete for the primary backup. Dormady and Jennings will have a distinct advantage because they are EEs. Dormady's shoulder could have an significant impact over the next 6-8 months. If he needs surgery, then it becomes a 2-way competition with Dormady redshirting. As Bama found out with Sims, you need a solid, smart pure passing QB who can make all the throws with accuracy. Sims had all the tools except he wasn't a gunslinger and his accuracy wasn't the best.

I think the primary backup will be the one who learns the plays the quickest. I would give Dormady an edge with that. Having a father as a coach should mean that he is experienced in film study and understanding the offense. I bet they have already sat down and worked with the playbook. If all three FR struggle, then Peterman will need to fill in.

The second major decision factor will be accuracy. At this point it should be a tossup. Offseason workouts and spring practice should give some idea.

Wow!! What a great QB recruiting class. The competition will be intense. Having Peterman still on campus will help mentoring the kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I really hope it is Jennings. I think watching Dobbs this year, it is clear our offense really moves better with a dual threat quarterback. Not saying anything against Dormady or Jones (I am glad we have 3 guys and only need 1 to succeed Dobbs), but I think Jennings with a redshirt year and extra year to sit behind Dobbs will help him develop into an elite QB and the easiest transition from Dobbs.

Pulling for all 3 to develop into great players, I just like Jennings the most and think he has the best upside.

I think we will see Juan Jennings, a competitive individual and driven. Also repping his home state. But, who knows what will happen here. Dormandy is a great QB prospect. Do not know to much about the new guy Jones.

There is absolutely no way to know how any of them will develop once they get started. The one thing we can be fairly confident about is that at least one of them will pan out and be our QB of the future. I don't really have a favorite. I just hope for a healthy competition that helps all three of them get better. Whoever is best will rise above the competition and take the job in the end.

All three are talented quarterbacks, but, how do you keep four satisfied with the amount of, or lack of playing time. I can't see UT keeping all three of the recruits.

Gatorade PoY doesn't mean anything. Worley was not highly rated by any service, and Rivals has him as a 3 star and the 24th best prostyle QB. And Riley was the 23rd best prostyle QB on Rivals, and a 3 star recruit.

At least insofar as evaluations from recruiting services go, neither Worley nor Riley come close to comparing to any of our three QB's this year. We got pumped about them out of desperation and hope.

All three are talented quarterbacks, but, how do you keep four satisfied with the amount of, or lack of playing time. I can't see UT keeping all three of the recruits.

Copying what I posted in a FF thread:

Redshirt Dormady and Sheriron Jones, and have Jennings backup Dobbs. Then, if Jennings (in any action that he gets) does not do particularly well, and it looks as if he will be passed up in year two by the two redshirt freshmen, then start trying to convince him to switch over to safety. At this time you can, assuming depth, give him a redshirt year while he adjusts to the new position. Now you will have Dobbs as a senior, with two redshirt freshmen behind him on the depth chart (which makes both of them, given that it is a system that utilizes a mobile QB, with all of the injury risks that this entails, less likely to transfer immediately).

If, on the other hand, Jennings does look good in his first year looks, you can keep him at QB. This will likely means that one of the other two will transfer, but if Jennings looks good then this is less of an issue. And, there will be a one year gap built in between Jennings and whoever stays, giving them hope that they can at least start their senior season at worst (and come in early due to injury if it comes to that).

Reactions: 3 people
Kendall is a future stud if we can hold him in class of 16'

Im really intrigued by Jennings. He's got a cannon and is a true dual threat. Plus he's a warrior and ridiculous competitor by all accounts.

I'm happy with all three recruits. It seems like Dormady and Jennings are on either end of the spectrum ranging from "pocket passer" to "athlete," with Jones right in the middle. And all the reports say that Dormady is a better runner than one might expect and Jennings is a better passer than one might expect. I also love Jones' confidence to commit despite knowing he'll be competing against two other QBs who'll enroll months ahead of him.

Considering we probably still have Dobbs for two more years, this overabundance at QB is a good "problem" to have!

Things have changed with each position at UT. Recruits can no longer assume immediate playing time, much less starting. The roster is more talented. You compete, but you understand you may only start a season or two unless you decide to transfer out early.

So it could be any of the three. They all fit the O. Best man wins.

I'm happy with all three recruits. It seems like Dormady and Jennings are on either end of the spectrum ranging from "pocket passer" to "athlete," with Jones right in the middle. And all the reports say that Dormady is a better runner than one might expect and Jennings is a better passer than one might expect. I also love Jones' confidence to commit despite knowing he'll be competing against two other QBs who'll enroll months ahead of him.

Considering we probably still have Dobbs for two more years, this overabundance at QB is a good "problem" to have!

Injuries have a way of negating "overabundance." I suspect that we will need all of them at some point.

Agree 100%

Everyone thought what?

Dormady

The next Stafford?? Nah, I thought Riley was going to be a good, winning QB.
:dance2:

VN Store

Back