The Transfers are Necessary

Probably_in_Class

Every thread seems to be filled with concern over the transfers. You all do realize with a class as big as 2014 we HAD to get rid of some of those guys, right?

Otherwise, we are going to hit the 85 limit HARD in a year or two. Then everyone will be complaining about why we can only sign a class of 12. Even with a class of "only" 25 players, that gives you 100 scholarship players over the course of 4 years. You need to lose ~4 players per class just to stay under the limit. That's assuming you don't RS anyone to keep 5 seasons (JUCOs and early exits can help make that a wash, but not completely).

With 32 guys from 2014, we still need to lose another 5 or 6 to keep on bringing in classes of 25. Everyone chill. It has to happen.

Reactions: 22 people
Exactly! I don't understand the hand wringing over a group of teenagers. There have been only 2 that have left that would have been real every down type players. Just like Aaron Rodgers said "RELAX".

Reactions: 3 people
but but but but but players are leaving there must be something so terribly wrong...(weeps into blanket while listening to counting crows)...mom can I have a pbj with crusts cut off like I like it? Mom?

Reactions: 4 people
It happens every where.....only at Tennessee is it something to be scared about. If a kid doesn't want to try to work his A$$ off to win playing time....or simply knows getting his education at Tennessee isn't worth staying here if he thinks the incoming frosh are that much better than them....good luck to them where ever they go. Next please.

It's the supposed quality of guys we are losing. Most would agree that the majority of these guys would be contributers in the future. You can't build depth by continuing to throw in true freshmen who aren't ready yet. You would hope that the transfers would come from the 3rd or 4th string guys that have had a couple years in the program. By that time you will know if they might do better at a smaller program where they can get some playing time.

It's the supposed quality of guys we are losing. Most would agree that the majority of these guys would be contributers in the future. You can't build depth by continuing to throw in true freshmen who aren't ready yet. You would hope that the transfers would come from the 3rd or 4th string guys that have had a couple years in the program. By that time you will know if they might do better at a smaller program where they can get some playing time.

The assumption is that every single signee has the potential to contribute at some point. If not, they wouldn't be signed in the first place. We still have 27 guys signed when technically the "limit" is 25. That's more than enough to build depth. For the most part, the judged ability of these guys is based on star ratings. That's hardly a concrete base for an argument. I believe Hendrix is the only transfer who has comments from a coach on his ability.

DD did a number on us. I don't mean the good DD's, I mean that sorry no good for nuthin waste of space DD. I don't look at DD's the same anymore because of DD. As a matter of fact, i like full C's now! To hell with DD's!!!!

I think Hendrix and Scott both have SEC talent but it is what it is. Happens at every school. When did Volnation get so whiny?

I seem to remember several practice reports in which Miller was singled out by Butch and yelled at quite a few times. I don't remember the issue, but when I saw that he was leaving it jogged my memory.

Reactions: 1 person
Miller transferring doesn't surprise me but Payne does. The guy would be a good contributor in the future.

Transfers are necessary. Some guys either won't be as good as you thought or else will realize that they made a mistake. You pretty much have to have attrition to bring the 100 you can sign according to the rules (plus RS's) down to 85. You have to have around 20-30% attrition from each class over the course of their 4 years.

However, you don't want or expect to see so much of that attrition coming from players after only one year OR from players with good talent. You don't want to see the losses concentrated in one position group. You also do not want so many guys who have earned playing time to leave.

That's one of the odd and disappointing things we've seen that could point to some issue with the staff that needs to be reviewed and corrected. Players starting with Dallas last year who had earned significant roles on the team (yes ST's for a Fr is a significant role in a healthy program) have left. You don't want to be in a position to perpetually complain that reliance on Fr is the reason you can't compete.... because you keep losing Fr with the ability to play.

Every thread seems to be filled with concern over the transfers. You all do realize with a class as big as 2014 we HAD to get rid of some of those guys, right?

Otherwise, we are going to hit the 85 limit HARD in a year or two. Then everyone will be complaining about why we can only sign a class of 12. Even with a class of "only" 25 players, that gives you 100 scholarship players over the course of 4 years. You need to lose ~4 players per class just to stay under the limit. That's assuming you don't RS anyone to keep 5 seasons (JUCOs and early exits can help make that a wash, but not completely).

With 32 guys from 2014, we still need to lose another 5 or 6 to keep on bringing in classes of 25. Everyone chill. It has to happen.

I agree to an extent with you. If RB's or WR's are leaving, then I am fine with that. I wasn't too happy with a top TE leaving after only 1 year. Would you say the same thing if it were O-Lineman leaving?

They are absolutely necessary. As it is we have about 60 guys returning on scholarship as it stands now. With a cap at 85... and a current recruiting class of 26... technically we can stand to lose another guy or two or we're short on scholarships.

I keep posting this over and over...stats show that 25% of each recruiting class will be gone within 2 years. This holds true for every team in the SEC.

We're benefitting from a transfer from another school: 5* Kamara. You win some, you lose some. Just think if Dooley were still here, we'd only be signing about 17 3*'s, so I have no complaints.

Word of the day: reload.

Reactions: 2 people
Its simple you are going to lose a few every year some good some not so good, coach has to weed out the weak and the ones that don't wont to earn playing time, some think they just show up and become a starter on there past, we will be alright just replace with better talent, we were at the bottom in the SEC in talent when coach Jones got here.

The fact is there is probably a reason for each of these transfers and each one would probably make sense to us if Butch wanted to explain it but likely that would drag some of these kids through the mud. You can evaluate talent but sometimes the work ethic isn't there or they just don't fit in with the culture.

You got some guys like Helm that I'm sure we would've rather kept and there's no doubt he had talent but the culture just didn't fit with him. I'm sure there are plenty of others that just do not have the talent or they don't have the work ethic. And getting rid of that sometimes is better than keeping those bodies on the roster and letting malcontent spread like a cancer through the locker room. Some of these kids are good enough to play college football just not at UT, getting them somewhere where they can play and contribute is part of being the coach at a program like UT.

Reactions: 7 people
The fact is there is probably a reason for each of these transfers and each one would probably make sense to us if Butch wanted to explain it but likely that would drag some of these kids through the mud. You can evaluate talent but sometimes the work ethic isn't there or they just don't fit in with the culture.

You got some guys like Helm that I'm sure we would've rather kept and there's no doubt he had talent but the culture just didn't fit with him. I'm sure there are plenty of others that just do not have the talent or they don't have the work ethic. And getting rid of that sometimes is better than keeping those bodies on the roster and letting malcontent spread like a cancer through the locker room. Some of these kids are good enough to play college football just not at UT, getting them somewhere where they can play and contribute is part of being the coach at a program like UT.

Well said sir!

Reactions: 2 people
I keep posting this over and over...stats show that 25% of each recruiting class will be gone within 2 years. This holds true for every team in the SEC.

Thank you. Not sure I'd have picked the guys who left if I had to choose but it is what it is. Overall I think this is something that bears watching the next couple years to see if it is a trend or an anomoly but not defcon 5 material.

Most would disagree, actually. CBJ isn't in the business of ridding himself of near-future contributors. Their transferring is indicative of them not being likely to contribute.

The star ratings end the day after signing day.

DD did a number on us. I don't mean the good DD's, I mean that sorry no good for nuthin waste of space DD. I don't look at DD's the same anymore because of DD. As a matter of fact, i like full C's now! To hell with DD's!!!!

Some DD's disappoint, but BJ's always lead to a happy ending.:birgits_giggle:

I almost don't fault Helm. I can imagine the culture shift from home school to a large state school could easily be overwhelming.

VN Store

Back