One thing is certain - bring your big boy pants

DD4ME

Zoo Keeper
Butch Stones is singular in bringing in the best of the best. No stone unturned no fear to push it to the outer limits. He's doing all the things that leads some fans to hand wringing. It's a tight rope no doubt and wins will need to follow for it to continue to sell but that's true if he was taking the Mr. Rogers approach. In it all he seems to be attempting to be as genuine as possible with guys but again it's a dance to an extent.

I for one love it and aside from the occassional fall out it's been needed.

Reactions: Weezer
Kiffin took it too far and IMO comes at recruiting with only the sale in mind. IMO Butch is pushing it right to the acceptable limits and approaching it with the right mindset.

Be upfront, demand excellence, accept nothing less. Recruit replacements when the standard is not met.

Last edited:
This even applies to handling our scandels. If this was FSU AJ is likely still playing until he is charged.

Saban does this to perfection.

Butch has to get guys that not only want to be here but believe in the system. One weak link can crash the whole chain. No player is bigger than the whole. No matter what the media pundits say, we don't see the day to day interactions behind the scenes. Some kids simply won't fit no matter how many stars they have.

This even applies to handling our scandels. If this was FSU AJ is likely still playing until he is charged.

The culture at UT appears to be 100 percent different than at FSU. At FSU kids can get away with anything and people turn their head. At UT the news bring up a 2 week old incident of a college kid drinking and people think it's a big deal.

Reactions: 6 people
The culture at UT appears to be 100 percent different than at FSU. At FSU kids can get away with anything and people turn their head. At UT the news bring up a 2 week old incident of a college kid drinking and people think it's a big deal.

Lane coming back and that situation hushed is a good example of the dance. Helm leaving I think also ties into this. Drae leaving is another. It's a tight rope and Butch seems to be keeping it tight and in tune to the proper balance. Edgy but well planned.

Football has always been a sport for the mentally tough.

Coaches scrutinize every aspect of the game. Compliments are rare.

This generation is soft. I know because I have a 16 year old.

The tee ball mentality has evolved from everyone gets a trophy to everyone is a great player and we should never say anything bad.

Reactions: 5 people
Butch Stones is singular in bringing in the best of the best. No stone unturned no fear to push it to the outer limits. He's doing all the things that leads some fans to hand wringing. It's a tight rope no doubt and wins will need to follow for it to continue to sell but that's true if he was taking the Mr. Rogers approach. In it all he seems to be attempting to be as genuine as possible with guys but again it's a dance to an extent.

Butch is no different than any other coach. It just seems more strategic to us fans because we are getting more information in this social media generation. I assure you that Majors, Fulmer, Kiffin, and Dooley walked the same tight rope in their day that Butch is walking today. The end result will be W's and L's. No more and no less.

Gonna hafta coach up some Freshman WRs if we are going to win the bowl game. Malone, Jenkins, and Wharton better get ready for some coachin.

The fact that you are calling him stones is laughable. Had he used those stones a little more this season we'd probably fell a little better about the program. Instead he played it safe (letting the clock run out at the end of the half, unwilling to make personell changes, and unwilling to ever go for it from sometimes deep in our opponents territory. Yes he has recruited well but I'd say the pic in my avi has the larger stones when compared to Butch.

Reactions: 1 person

Something tells me if we were 11-1 and in the playoff hunt, a sizable number of our fans would look the other way at off the field issues too. Winning brings a ton of good, but it does come with some unpleasant side effects too.

The fact that you are calling him stones is laughable. Had he used those stones a little more this season we'd probably fell a little better about the program. Instead he played it safe (letting the clock run out at the end of the half, unwilling to make personell changes, and unwilling to ever go for it from sometimes deep in our opponents territory. Yes he has recruited well but I'd say the pic in my avi has the larger stones when compared to Butch.
Guess you fail to recall a placeholder throwing a td to a walk on TE. Or maybe the going for it on 4th down on the goal. Or even the times we kept attempting deep passing with the ol we have. Perhaps Butch took calculated risks. Risks nonetheless.

Reactions: 6 people
Glitch is about to have an aneurism.

No this is a good thread.

:)shhh: the mods are watching me. :))

However, all this Butch hate is laughable to me. I would like to see any other HC come in here and do more with what Butch has had to work with. Middling QB play, brand new OL, rash of WR injuries, limited ability to open the offensive play book. Butch has done a great job and he is recruiting at the highest level we have seen in over a decade. Everyone just needs to chill and give "The Stones" time to work.

Reactions: 9 people

Your avi pic is a baby Lane Kiffen.

I'm sure you would be a much better coach and administrator to the University. Somebody get on the horn with Hart and Cheek ASAP! Take your crap back to the FF immediately.

butch-jones-deal-with-it-480_zpsb61995d4-2.gif

So you're saying your kid has some freakishly large balls? May want to get that checked out. While you're there, have the doctor clean the sand out of your vagina...

Reactions: 4 people
Football has always been a sport for the mentally tough.

Coaches scrutinize every aspect of the game. Compliments are rare.

This generation is soft. I know because I have a 16 year old.

The tee ball mentality has evolved from everyone gets a trophy to everyone is a great player and we should never say anything bad.

Spot on!! Parents don't even want coaches to tell their kids what they're doing wrong. Just praise them. I coached one kid on the OL for three years and he was probably the laziest kid I've ever seen. If we put him in the game, when the ball was snapped he would just stand up and look around, not even take a single step forward. His mom asked me to praise him and "brag on him" to motivate him. What was I supposed to praise him for???

Soft, soft kids and parents. Makes me sick.

Reactions: 3 people
Something tells me if we were 11-1 and in the playoff hunt, a sizable number of our fans would look the other way at off the field issues too. Winning brings a ton of good, but it does come with some unpleasant side effects too.

Truth

So, if he would have went for it on every 4th down (but we never converted), fired everyone on the offensive side of the ball (which would have set us back a couple more years), and use all of our timeouts (in which we tried to force a play down the field that turned into a turnover and score for the other team) you would feel MUCH better about this season? The risks the OP is referring to are called calculated risks -- not boneheaded ones.

Guess you fail to recall a placeholder throwing a td to a walk on TE. Or maybe the going for it on 4th down on the goal. Or even the times we kept attempting deep passing with the ol we have. Perhaps Butch took calculated risks. Risks nonetheless.

That's was a great call and it worked. The problem is we needed more of it. It that very same half we could have had a possession with nearly 3 minutes remaining and yet let the clock expire. Look I really like Butch as a person and live his recruiting and work ethic but...You can't win in the league if you'rescared to death to take cchances. And for whatever reason many on here are unwilling to admit that is the way he coaches

So, if he would have went for it on every 4th down (but we never converted), fired everyone on the offensive side of the ball (which would have set us back a couple more years), and use all of our timeouts (in which we tried to force a play down the field that turned into a turnover and score for the other team) you would feel MUCH better about this season? The risks the OP is referring to are called calculated risks -- not boneheaded ones.

A few risks that would have made sense are... Inserting Dobbs into the lineup earlier. Against Florida in the second half when we were stagnant would have been a good time. Also, we should have played one of the younger dbacks over Coleman. That would have been a risk but Coleman doesn't have sec speed and was burned repeadly throughout the season. Also against Florida we should have went for it on fourth down at least twice. The best drive we had in the first half was wasted. We drove down the the FL 37 or so and had a fourth and two. We ended up punting it into the endzone when our D had only allowed 30 yards or so on the day to that point. It would have been a 52 yard fg. I'd have rather seen us attempt that than punt (but we should have just tried to pick up the needed yards for the first). By the way... That was almost the exact same scenario that FL faced at the end of the game when they kicked the winning fg.

VN Store

Back