Tennessee is really on the rise

It is when you were 5-7 the year before.

When someone says a team in the rise... That is used generally as a comparison to their competitors. In the sec I would say ole miss and Ms state are currently on the rise. A&M and auburn were teams on the rise over the past couple of years. But compared to others in the sec I don't think you can put tn in that ''on the rise category yet''

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
When someone says a team in the rise... That is used generally as a comparison to their competitors. In the sec I would say ole miss and Ms state are currently in the rise. A&M amd auburn were teams in the rise over the past couple of years. But compared to others in the sec I don't think you can put tn in that ''on the rise category yet''

That's how you see it. I see it as this team is obviously more talented than last year and recruiting very very well. The record shows that we improved. How much is debatable but I think if you just use Tennessee as the measuring stick, then we are on a fairly obvious upward trajectory.

Reactions: 12 people
When someone says a team in the rise... That is used generally as a comparison to their competitors. In the sec I would say ole miss and Ms state are currently in the rise. A&M amd auburn were teams in the rise over the past couple of years. But compared to others in the sec I don't think you can put tn in that ''on the rise category yet''

Our competitors in the SEC lie in the east. We are definitely on the rise when compared to the trajectories there.

Reactions: 1 person
We r on the rise whether u like it or not

Reactions: 18 people
Not trying to go all negavol but...6-6 is generally accepted as a team in the rise.

Not really sure what this post has to do with this article considering all the article is talking about is building talent/a better overall team through recruiting, and nothing about wins/losses this year.

But then again, I'm not surprised that someone on VolNation completely failed to read the subject matter.

Reactions: 5 people
I read the title and knew it wouldn't be long before someone was here to piss on it. Happy and hope are not allowed by some of these idgits. Well, at least it lasted for 21 minutes.

Reactions: 6 people
When someone says a team in the rise... That is used generally as a comparison to their competitors. In the sec I would say ole miss and Ms state are currently on the rise. A&M and auburn were teams on the rise over the past couple of years. But compared to others in the sec I don't think you can put tn in that ''on the rise category yet''

There are two necessary components to a team being "on the rise". First, that they are improving (relative to their previous talent levels). Second, that they are becoming more competitive, or that they are improving at a faster rate than their competitors. Usually these two can coincide. However, it is possible to be improving, but also be in a conference full of improving teams, and it is possible to be creeping up on your competition *only because* they are getting worse.

It is inarguable that UT is on the rise in the first sense. We are definitely a more talented team than we have been in the past few years. And we are gaining yet another incredible class.

It is also hard to argue that we aren't improving faster than many of our competitors. First, we are definitely improving. So, the only way we aren't improving relative to our competition is if we are either so far away from being competitive that it doesn't quite apply, or if all of the teams in the SEC (or most of these teams) are improving as well.

Well, we definitely fit the first criteria - we are not so bad that we aren't competitive. It isn't unlikely that we are ranked entering next year, and we definitely will be with a couple of wins at the beginning of the schedule.

As for the second, most teams in the SEC are stagnating or declining. Florida is coming off of a few bad years, and while they lost their *****y coach, they are also bringing in (barring miracle) a terrible recruiting class. Vanderbilt is junk. Georgia is the same they always have been, but are losing Gurley and their QB. South Carolina is declining. Kentucky is improving, but at a slower and lower pace than we are. Missouri has improved, but I don't see that continuing. This appears to be their ceiling for the foreseeable future.

Out west, only Ole Miss and Miss. State are improving...but they aren't our immediate competition, and having a couple of talented and improving teams does not negate our being "on the rise". It isn't relative to all teams, but relative to most.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree with the content of this article but I have to question whether John Adams is seriously ill or if someone has ghostwritten this piece for him. It is utterly devoid of the incessant sarcasm and criticism which normally characterizes Adams' work.

It is when you were 5-7 the year before.

It's really a sunshine pumping reach to call it "on the rise" when we really should have gone 6-6 the year before as well (when we lost to Vandy because we could not get that one single yard to put the game away - and even this year Vandy game came down to the wire when it should not have been even close). On the other hand we could say we are on the rise recruiting wise...

It's really a sunshine pumping reach to call it "on the rise" when we really should have gone 6-6 the year before as well (when we lost to Vandy because we could not get that one single yard to put the game away - and even this year Vandy game came down to the wire when it should not have been even close). On the other hand we could say we are on the rise recruiting wise...

Not when you examine the score and competitive nature of the losses. The gap is closing fast.

Reactions: 3 people
Not when you examine the score and competitive nature of the losses. The gap is closing fast.

This!

I swear the people that want to make the argument that this team is not improving very quickly either dont remember how bad we've been or haven't bothered to watch the team play this year. The record is only one game better... the team is light years better.

Reactions: 3 people
This!

I swear the people that want to make the argument that this team is not improving very quickly either dont remember how bad we've been or haven't bothered to watch the team play this year. The record is only one game better... the team is light years better.

I do understand the folks that only count wins and losses. At the end of the day, that's what the rest of the landscape sees. Us Tennessee and other SEC fans however should be more intelligent than that and see the whole picture.

This is not a team people wanted on their schedule this year.

This team will flat out contend for east next year.

2016 is going to be the true season that we will enter with national expectations.

I really wish people would stop linking his articles. He doesn't deserve the boost in clicks for his half assed, sensationalism journalism.

Come back after next season and tell me if you still think miss st is on the rise.

we are going bowling for the first time in a long time,recruiting some great talent and finally have something to look forward too in tennessee football again! so i would say that is being on a rise! could be worst could be 3-9 would that make you negvols happy?

VN Store

Back