Recruiting Forum: UNofficial TaxSlayer.com Pre-Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Shine your balls, :eek:hmy: lace up your clown shoes, and unbutton your top 3 buttons... we're going bowling!

For the first time since former head coach Derek Dooley's inaugural season, the Vols will be traveling over the holidays, and Tennessee fans can still discuss football and obsess over every little report from practice.

With most reports having the Vols in Memphis, Nashville, or Charlotte, it was a bit of a surprise to see them land in Florida. Few will complain, outside of the natives of those fine cities, as it is a good bowl in a good location.

Let's take a look at Iowa:

1. Oh so close: At first, you see that Iowa is 7-5 playing a Big 10 schedule and snicker. While their competition was pretty laughable (only Nebraska was ranked), they lost 4 of their 5 games by a total of 15 points. They played everyone tough, with the exception of Minnesota, so don't let their record comfort you too much.

2. To speed or not to speed?: For Iowa, the answer is "not to speed." The Big 10 is not necessarily known for having blazers on the field, and Iowa is no exception... maybe even worse than the average. I'm not going to pretend that I know all about Iowa's offense, but their fans have been lamenting their lack of speed, so I'm going to take their word on it.

3. Battle of the day: Without question, the best individual match-up is going to come between Derek Barnett and left tackle Brandon Scherff. Scherff is expected to be a first round draft choice in April, and Barnett does what Barnett does. This one will be fun to watch.

4. SEC Killer?: Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz is 3-1 against SEC opponents in bowl games. Wins against Florida, LSU and South Carolina are pretty impressive, but those wins came when Iowa was a bit more talented. However, year after year, we have watched the SEC lose bowl games inexplicably, pointed, and laughed. Let's not be on the end of that this season.

5. Closer than it seems?: Iowa and Tennessee are oddly similar in many statistics. Now granted, Tennessee built their season on the back of one of the toughest schedules in the nation, whereas Iowa played warm slaw, but the point remains. I'm not going to take the time to redo the stats, this guy has your stuff here.

6. Notes from GoVols09: Another poster has seen some of Iowa's games, so I will borrow his insight, and simply post it here:

-Their interior D Line is very good
-Offensive line is very good especially LT. I think their RT is substantially worse and I look for Maggitt to have a big day.
-Lack of speed on offense is very evident
-getting Iowa in third and long will be key. Their QB is bad when he had to throw
-Defense in the back 7 is sub par. Lack of lateral speed but linebackers are physical.
-Perfect matchup for our TEs and I expect the jet sweep will be utilized successfully
-Iowa plays every game close. I expect a 21-17 type game where we beat them worse than it shows
-Our conditioning will be an advantage, they will not keep up with our speed for 4 quarters.

Prediction: I think speed and power is the name of this game, and Tennessee, barring any injuries over the next few weeks, should be able to win both of those battles. I think Iowa will have a hard time moving the ball, and Tennessee is effective with their speed on offense. I would expect a good deal of improvement for the OL and Hurd to have a big game. Dobbs doesn't need to do a whole lot, and plays the "game manager".

TN 41
Iowa 20

Reactions: 16 people
Whether UT shows up healthy will play a role in how this one plays out. I think we should be able to exploit their lack of speed personally but we struggled against Vandy so I'm not sold on blowing them out.

Reactions: 2 people
Idk if mentioned but they are very bad against QB runs. Struggled against McEvoy at Wisconsin and against Maryland. They are well coached though and with time to prepare for us and us for them this should be a good game.

24-14 Vols. Dobbs has a great day on the ground along with Hurd and Lane. We struggle early but eventually get the W. Go Vols

Shine your balls, :eek:hmy: lace up your clown shoes, and unbutton your top 3 buttons... we're going bowling!

tumblr_m9j012YClO1qajc4eo1_500.gif

Reactions: 9 people
They struggle against mobile QB's. We match up pretty well everywhere else. The only thing that will keep us from blowing them out is Bajakian.

Vols-31
Iowa-20

Reactions: 4 people
I stopped at "shine your balls". lol/jk

Great job as always, Nick.

Early predict:
Vols 34
Hawkeyes 17

:dance2::rock::dance::pepper:

Reactions: 1 person
If AJ gets cleared and is allowed to play the bowl, watch out! We may have them blown out by halftime.

Reactions: 3 people
Dale Earnhardt Jr. doing the coin toss. Wonder if they did that deliberately at the presumption Iowa and Tennessee are a bunch of left-turning hillbillies

I stopped at unbuttoning buttons. #RiseToTheTopButton #Movement #FightToEndUnbuttonedShirts

Their RB is a fullback. I haven't seen much of them this year, but I doubt they can get the edge on us at all.

Our boys will come out and be ready to ball. The seniors are not going to allow their only opportunity to play in a bowl game end on a sour note. Really hope we get AJ back because the defense will play balls to the walls for him. As stated by others Iowa doesn't seem to handle mobile QB's so I think between Hurd's "I'm gonna run your ass over." style of play and JDobbs willingness to pull it and take off himself I think we will put lots of points on the scoreboard.

TN team rushing yards will be over 250 while holding Iowa to under 150.
Hurd breaks a long TD run of over 35 yards.
JDobbs completes over 65% of his passes for over 200 yards and 2 TDs
Defense pressures the Iowa QB and we get at least 2 picks and a forced fumble.
TN wins the TO battle, TOP battle, and plays inspired football in all phases of the game!

TN - 45
Iowa - 13

I stopped at unbuttoning buttons. #RiseToTheTopButton #Movement #FightToEndUnbuttonedShirts

CBJ does not care for unbuttoned buttons. :machgun: :gun:

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    268.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: 12 people
As bad as our rushing attack seemed at times this year our rushing stats were almost the same as Iowa's, despite the much tougher schedule we had.

Minnesota and Maryland both run an offense similar to ours and they torched Iowa on the ground. Minnesota rushed for 300 yards and their QB, who is not nearly the runner Dobbs is, ran for 80.

VN Store

Back