Recruiting Forum: UNofficial Mizzou Pre-Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Missouri comes to K-town this week after a thrilling win against Texas A&M. Tennessee's win against Kentucky was somewhat less thrilling... as it should be. The Vols kept rolling and have built some very positive momentum going into the home stretch. Needing one more win to become bowl eligible, are they able to skin a tiger this week?

Fans are optimistic, but as most of us can admit, we are a bi-polar bunch. Most were ready to write off the season 5 quarters ago, now we think we are running the table. Let's have a look.

Keys to the game:

1. UT Defense vs. Mizzou Offense: From the beginning of the season, I liked our match up against USC. Their weakness on the DL played right into our strength. In a similar, yet opposite way, I like the way our defense matches up against Mizzou on O.

The Tennessee defense has had two main issues this year. The first, is good running-backs getting big runs in the 4th, after holding them for most of the game. This has not been horrific, but it has been there. The other weakness is letting great receivers go absolutely nuts on our secondary. As a whole, I don't think Mizzou can match up with us here. Let's take a closer look...

2. Mauk Star: Well... he's really not a star. Last year, some thought he would be great, but he hasn't had it this year, with the loss of his top receivers. Since Mizzou has played warm garbage outside of conference (losing to Indiana!) let's see how Mauk has done against the SEC.

134 YPG
5 TD
6 INT

Only once (SEC)has he thrown for over 200 yards, against an A&M defense that puts up about as much resistance as single ply toilet paper. Against the two best defenses they have played (UGA & FL), he passed for a TOTAL of 117 yards, and neither team would have what most would consider elite secondaries, as a unit.

With stats like that, how, in the name of Reggie White is this an 8-2 team? It defies logic... like Matt Darr's mustache. When they do throw it, they throw it to Bud Sasser who is having a solid year, considering the QB play he has been getting. Mizzou should not beat us through the air.

3. The other half: With Mizzou struggling to throw the ball, they will rely heavily on the running game, which also plays into Tennessee's strength. Leading rusher Russell Hansbrough went off on A&M (199 yds), but against other SEC teams, he averages a whopping 43 yards per game. Marcus Murphy manages about the same. No bruisers, and no game breakers here.

4. TN OL vs Mizzou DL: For me, this is the 2nd biggest battle, and the one that concerned me the most until Dobbs took over. Mizzou is a pretty good defensive team. They are especially good on the defensive line and as a unit, are +7 on turnovers for the year. Turnovers are literally THE only reason they beat Florida, scoring a total of exactly around 456 points off of Florida blunders.

Crowder appears to have been hurt pretty badly this week, and that is really bad news for a paper thin line. The line as been performing better with Dobbs at QB, and he has made them look much better with his ability to escape. Look for Bajakian to use Dobbs more in the running game this week, as it will likely be needed. As the defensive ends try to use their speed to get around the edges, the QB draw and inside running game will be effective counters.

Generally, Mizzou does not give up a lot of yards on the ground (131 per game) but when they have lost, Indiana and UGA averaged 225 per game. Both of those teams have beasts at running back, and we need Hurd and Dobbs to carry the load.

5. The battle of the 3rd: Tennessee and Mizzou have virtually identical 3rd down defensive numbers. Mizzou is just a little bit better at converting their own 3rd downs than the Vols are. This will be the third most important stat on Saturday. (#1 points, #2 turnovers, #3 3rd down)

So there it is. Provided Tennessee continues to play at the level they have been, and Mizzou does the same, I think we have a pretty close game. I could see this one going either way, although my own breakdown really seems to show the Vols have the upper hand. I've missed my Mizzou predictions two years in a row, because they always seem to find a way. Pinkel is a great coach, but dem Vols tho...

TN 24
Mizzou 20

Neyland is live for the night game. Vols become bowl eligible. Mizzou can't move the ball. TN offense comes back to earth a little bit, after playing two really bad defenses, but it is enough. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 14 people
looks like you were pretty anxious to get this one going.
:)

And who could blame you ? Nice work, as always.

looks like you were pretty anxious to get this one going.
:)

And who could blame you ? Nice work, as always.

Man, I feel so tired today. I got really limited sleep last night with the game starting at 4:00 am, but just tired beyond that. Just sitting around waiting for sleep. Thought I would get this done since I need to actually accomplish something tomorrow. :eek:lol:

Good post, Nick. I think the match-up between our OL and their DL will determine the game honestly, especially with a new center. I think Wiesman is better than Mack blocking, but his snapping scares me. If we can neutralize their DEs, we win. I'm sticking with my gut instinct that I had immediately after the game last night. Vols win in impressive fashion...37-17.

Reactions: 1 person
Good post, Nick. I think the match-up between our OL and their DL will determine the game honestly, especially with a new center. I think Wiesman is better than Mack blocking, but his snapping scares me. If we can neutralize their DEs, we win. I'm sticking with my gut instinct that I had immediately after the game last night. Vols win in impressive fashion...37-17.

It's so odd to doubt an 8-2 team like I am, but they really just don't seem impressive. Of course, I thought this the last two seasons when they beat us also, so...

It's so odd to doubt an 8-2 team like I am, but they really just don't seem impressive. Of course, I thought this the last two seasons when they beat us also, so...

Yeah, they somehow just keep winning. Can't dismiss that. Will Mauk be the fastest QB that we face this year? Maybe Sims from Bama is equal comparison or a little faster?

if we don't turn the ball over i don't see them putting up any substantial amount of points. even though our talent is raw, i do think we are more talented. 34-13 with 0 turnovers

Yeah, they somehow just keep winning. Can't dismiss that. Will Mauk be the fastest QB that we face this year? Maybe Sims from Bama is equal comparison or a little faster?

I didn't even list the run threat as a concern. In previous years, it has killed us, but I like how we have dealt with the mobile QB's, for the most part.

Mauk averages about 7 rushes per game (SEC play) for an average of 30 yards per game.

His most recent 3 games have been good statistically, but it has been against Vandy, UK, and A&M, so take that with a tablespooon of salt.

I didn't even list the run threat as a concern. In previous years, it has killed us, but I like how we have dealt with the mobile QB's, for the most part.

Mauk averages about 7 rushes per game (SEC play) for an average of 30 yards per game.

His most recent 3 games have been good statistically, but it has been against Vandy, UK, and A&M, so take that with a tablespooon of salt.

Hope we use Weatherd as a spy. He is fast enough to track down Mauk when he scrambles.

Reactions: 2 people

I hate these teams that win, and you just can't figure out why, because nothing stands out.

Florida this year
Mizzou the last couple of years
Vandy the last couple of years (Matthews only)

Why are you winning games???!!!

Great job Nick. You do good work for a sleep deprived Vol fan.
I think we win by about 10 points, not ready to give a score yet.

Reactions: 3 people
They had a late road game last night and now must travel again to Neyland. Pressure is on them to win out against Tennessee and Arkansas...two programs, nobody wants to face right now.

I think we got a good shot to keep them at 13 or less if we don't have turnovers. Their defense is tough but we can score up to 35 on them...probably closer to mid-twenties though.

We will probably be without Crowder and won't have Randolph for the 1st half. I think TK and McNeil will hold the fort for Randolph. Wiesman will have to do better at snapping.

TN 27
Mizzou 13

Let's do this!

Last edited:
Mizz O has been able to have a 8-2 season cause they keep winning the games that we let slip out of our hands. Combined with their easy ass schedule. They beat UF, we lost to UF by 1. They play A&M and Arkansas, we play Bama and Ole Miss. They've already played Vandy, we haven't. Assuming we had the same schedule, we could've also went 8-2 or possibly even 9-1 w/out the stupid Indiana loss

Reactions: 5 people
Mizz O has been able to have a 8-2 season cause they keep winning the games that we let slip out of our hands. Combined with their easy ass schedule. They beat UF, we lost to UF by 1. They play A&M and Arkansas, we play Bama and Ole Miss. They've already played Vandy, we haven't. Assuming we had the same schedule, we could've also went 8-2 or possibly even 9-1 w/out the stupid Indiana loss

Mizzou only had about 135 yards of offense, yet dominated Florida courtesy of turnovers and return game.

Hope we use Weatherd as a spy. He is fast enough to track down Mauk when he scrambles.

As usual we see things in a similar way. Weatherd did a nice job of that in the second half against UK. Hopefully Jancek uses a similar approach against Mizzou. Having TKJr. on the backend also helped a great deal. Looking forward to him and Gaulden teaming up in the future.

Not sure whether I'm more bummed that Randolph has to sit a half or excited that TK will get to show his skills off in the first half of a very important game.

Nice job, nick. Really good analysis.

This game will tell us just how far the program has come. Getting the big road win against USCe was a major step. Getting a big win at home against the East Division leader and champ from last year would be another major step. Pressure and containment on Mauk and the running game are the keys as the Dobbs Effect will take care of the offense. Vols 35-20.

Great post as usual.
"It defies logic.....like Matt Darr's mustache" Lol!!!!!!!
Vols win 24-10.

VN Store

Back