Recruiting Forum: UNofficial South Carolina Pre-Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Tennessee heads to Columbia, South Carolina this week to take on the Gamecocks. The Vols played inspired football against hated rivals Alabama last week, though they fell short in the end. The introduction of Josh Dobbs has a lot of fans excited, and it will be fun to see if he can continue to improve.

Keys to the Game:

1. A Little Dobbs will do ya: While Dobbs did not play perfect football, he probably exceeded expectations for all fans, even those who thought he would play well. His mobility, zip on the ball, and confidence are welcomed changes, and his presence adds a lot more to the playbook.

2. For once... this year, the Offensive Line will not have to go against a top tier defense. The OL played better against Bama, but having Dobbs escape for 30 yard scampers when our previous QB would have taken a 8 yard sack does help appearances a bit :)

The OL should be playing with more confidence now, and a relatively weak USC DL will only help to build that confidence. Give Dobbs time, and increased reps this week in practice, and those little issues with accuracy should be helped quite a bit.

3. D-up: South Carolina can acquire points (32.8 ppg), even against their better opponents. 3 out of 4 of their losses have been by a combined 15 points, so you are pretty close to seeing a 1 loss team here who has had bad luck.

Dylan Thompson throws for 285 YPG, but has 6 INT's in his last two games. The defensive backs will be challenged, but I think our quality there is good enough, and we should have some take-aways.

4. Run for your life: Teams have had a lot of success running the ball against USC. Not only that, USC gives up big, shiny plays, for lots of yards on defense. We may finally see the "coming out party" for Hurd. Auburn ran for 395 yards. Yeah, that's right, 395 yards. QB Nick Marshall had 89, so look for Dobbs to be used in the running game to take advantage of that.

5. Crush Williams-Brice:
Columbia is not the most difficult of SEC venues, but they can get up for a game. The fact is, no matter how much "revenge" they may be looking for this week, this is a 4-4 team that had aspirations of playing for the SEC Championship. It's hard to get up for a 3-5 Tennessee team when the season is already considered a failure, and if Tennessee can have success early, the crowd will be out of it, and the team will not be able to ride on those emotions.

Prediction: I could see a shootout on the horizon, but man... this game could go so many different ways. End the end, I think that we see a moderate scoring game and lots of big plays for the Vols. I think the Vols pull away with this one, with solid 3rd down defense and forcing Thompson into turnovers. Hurd rushes for 150+, and we see the closest thing to our future offense, given that Tennessee can actually match up fairly well without having to hide deficiencies.

TN 35
USC 20

Reactions: 17 people
Turn that crowd against them.

We've heard the audible groans all too often in Neyland over the last few years.

Now is a great time to make it happen to someone else.

Reactions: 1 person
Good stuff as usual Nick.

Saw a lot of talk in another thread about the line on the game. FWIW I just saw it as SC -8. Maybe they think Peterman is gonna get the start again?

End the end made me laugh as much as pocket presents :)

Great job, thanks Nick! :salute:

Thompson has 2 INT in his last 2 SEC games, not total games. Mis-typed

Also, regarding our OL facing a top DL, not defense

Tennessee 35
USC 21

Statement game.

Dobbs passes for 250 and runs for 100. SEC Player of the Week.

Reactions: 5 people
I think we take this one guys. We are a totally different team with a mobile QB. SC doesn't have the talent to defend Dobb's feet and our WR's. I also think Hurd will run for 120+. Good guys by 10.

Our D only gave up 34 to Bama, after they put a 59-0 on aTm and a horrible start to our game. Our guys are a little dinged up on that side of the ball, but no Derrick Henry to try to bring down either. No Cooper at WR. No Blake Sims to avoid the rush and scramble for first downs either.

Dobbs decides he wants to be the man. Vols 34-24. The redemption story begins for real.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm going to wait till I see who might be injured before I make my pick. We could have some significant players out for SC. Crossing my fingers we don't.

VN Store

Back