'15 LA RB Kendall Bussey (Former UT commit)

kamoshika

14176015337_b244c20766.jpg

* Isidore Newman School, New Orleans, LA
* 5-9, 206
* 40: 4.42
* Bench press: 360
* Squat: 500+

Kendall Bussey - 247Sports
Kendall Bussey - Yahoo! Sports
Scout.com
Senior Mid-Season Highlights - Hudl

Extremely impressive highlights above. He doesn't appear to have a UT offer at this time but as westside mentioned in another thread, Paul Fortenberry thinks we "might be in it" for Bussey. And FWIW, he picked up a crystal ball prediction to UT yesterday from Demetric Warren.

Bussey flipped his commitment from Tulane to Nebraska in February.

Bussey does a great job as a zone runner that cuts it up at the appropriate time. So many other backs with his speed tend to bounce it outside all the time because they can at the prep level, but he is not afraid to run inside. He’s a better inside runner than one would think and he’s a tough player to tackle that fights for extra yards.

Bussey is a dangerous player in the open field. He’s able to cut on a dime and accelerate quickly to run away from defenders. He’s got good vision and is a nightmare to tackle in space. Bussey’s greatest asset though is his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Scouting Report: Kendall Bussey - 2015 Running Back - Son of a coachSon of a coach

Newman head football coach Nelson Stewart knows that he is watching a special talent and seeing the results of all of Kendall’s work and dedication. “Kendall is not even the same person that he was last year,” noted Stewart. “Of all the players that I have ever coached, he’s had the best growth over a year. He averaged 11 yards per carry (last season). He’s a 4.3 guy, so strong. His strength gains are unbelievable. He’s a captain. He’s grown so much as a player and a person.”

Stewart played at Newman with Peyton Manning and coached Odell Beckham Jr., both first-round NFL draft choices. He sees a link between the three players. “When you see their talent and work ethic, they are very competitive. Kendall could be mentioned in the same breath as those two. He has that ‘it’ factor. He is more than just a combine running back with his skill set, not just for here but college. Who knows where beyond that. You don’t get many kids like that.”

Like father, like son for the Bussey football family - SportsNOLA

Through five games before Friday, Bussey has more than 700 yards rushing while averaging nearly 11 yards per carry. He's scored 19 touchdowns, which lead Louisiana among all classifications and is just seven shy of the Newman single-season record for any skill-position player.

"He's been a force in every single way," Stewart said. "We've built our whole running game around his strengths, and it's shown. He's running between the tackles and he's running with burst. He's just a complete back with all the things he can do, and that's what makes him so unique. I think he's as good a running back as you'll see nationally."

NU running back recruit Bussey shining in the Big Easy : Latest Husker News

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Is this another player where LSU is late to the party, but is still able to snag the commitment?

Great fit for this offense - very good vision and acceleration. Already plays in a read option system so he'd be familiar with our gameplan coming in. Sheds tackles, shifty but I'd like to see him plant a foot and go in open space - he rounds off his cuts at times.

I'd be interested to see if his physicality is as effective at the next level - he's already a bowling ball at 5'9" 205 but may not have a lot of room to add additional strength without sacrificing some speed. I'd like to have him though. Not on Frasier's level but he'd fit right in that next group - a good get for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Get'em butch!! !!!! O please. Would be a definite complimentary to hurd. :rock: the ultimate duo!!

Would be huge to land this kid. Perfect replacement for Treyvon Paulk. Probably an upgrade actually.

14176015337_b244c20766.jpg

* 5-9, 206
* Isidore Newman School, New Orleans, LA
* 40: 4.42
* Bench press: 360
* Squat: 500+

Kendall Bussey - 247Sports
Kendall Bussey - Yahoo! Sports
Scout.com
Senior Mid-Season Highlights - Hudl

Extremely impressive highlights above. He doesn't appear to have a UT offer at this time but as westside mentioned in another thread, Paul Fortenberry thinks we "might be in it" for Bussey. And FWIW, he picked up a crystal ball prediction to UT yesterday from Demetric Warren.

Bussey flipped his commitment from Tulane to Nebraska in February.

Bussey does a great job as a zone runner that cuts it up at the appropriate time. So many other backs with his speed tend to bounce it outside all the time because they can at the prep level, but he is not afraid to run inside. He’s a better inside runner than one would think and he’s a tough player to tackle that fights for extra yards.

Bussey is a dangerous player in the open field. He’s able to cut on a dime and accelerate quickly to run away from defenders. He’s got good vision and is a nightmare to tackle in space. Bussey’s greatest asset though is his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Scouting Report: Kendall Bussey - 2015 Running Back - Son of a coachSon of a coach

Newman head football coach Nelson Stewart knows that he is watching a special talent and seeing the results of all of Kendall’s work and dedication. “Kendall is not even the same person that he was last year,” noted Stewart. “Of all the players that I have ever coached, he’s had the best growth over a year. He averaged 11 yards per carry (last season). He’s a 4.3 guy, so strong. His strength gains are unbelievable. He’s a captain. He’s grown so much as a player and a person.”

Stewart played at Newman with Peyton Manning and coached Odell Beckham Jr., both first-round NFL draft choices. He sees a link between the three players. “When you see their talent and work ethic, they are very competitive. Kendall could be mentioned in the same breath as those two. He has that ‘it’ factor. He is more than just a combine running back with his skill set, not just for here but college. Who knows where beyond that. You don’t get many kids like that.”

Like father, like son for the Bussey football family - SportsNOLA

Through five games before Friday, Bussey has more than 700 yards rushing while averaging nearly 11 yards per carry. He's scored 19 touchdowns, which lead Louisiana among all classifications and is just seven shy of the Newman single-season record for any skill-position player.

"He's been a force in every single way," Stewart said. "We've built our whole running game around his strengths, and it's shown. He's running between the tackles and he's running with burst. He's just a complete back with all the things he can do, and that's what makes him so unique. I think he's as good a running back as you'll see nationally."

NU running back recruit Bussey shining in the Big Easy : Latest Husker News

I like the part about him being able to cut on a dime, because I think that is more important that straight ahead speed imo. The scout on him sounds great!!!

whats the story on this kid?

Highly rated from Louisiana. Commits to Tulane and the Nebraska? just seems odd.

makes me wonder if he has grade or character concerns

Highly rated from Louisiana. Commits to Tulane and the Nebraska? just seems odd.

Agreed...pretty decent offer list. Maybe he's just starting to gain momentum...

Find it hard to imagine he'd have a committable offer from Tulane and Vanderbilt and be a grade concern. Just think he was thought too small and has proven himself now and some late teams coming to the table. Where would you rather play Tulane or a historic program like Nebraska?

Reactions: 2 people
I like this kids film better than most of the other RBs we are looking at

Same here. A lot to like about him. He has good size for an APB coming out of HS (5'9" 205), he has good top end speed, great quickness/acceleration, he makes some nice, has good vision, and appears to have good balance. I like this guy a lot. Reminds me a bit of Giovanni Bernard.

Is this sarcasm?

Wasn't intended to be.. I took a quick look at his recruiting page and film and he appears to be a little taller, bigger, faster and IMO better all around.. Albeit different positions..

That being said, I am NO real judge of talent.. I respect your opinion Breaker, what do you think of this kid?

VN Store

Back