Frank Wycheck's opinion (Oline) recruiting:

madbamahater

This morning on 104.5 the zone Nashville, UTs OL was a big topic and widly discussed.

Frank Wycheck (very meaningful opinion)

Tennessee has to go the JUCO route or the transfer route to bring in immediate help with the OL for '15 class.

Your thoughts?

*this was broadcasted after the early morning thread started about this same topic.

Here's a list of top rated OT in the top 50 of JUCO players available for '15:

Martinas Rankin - uncommitted
Maurice Porter - Baylor verbal
Zach Bateman - uncommitted
Paris Palmer - USCjr verbal
DeVondre Seymour - UGA verbal
Glen Bethel - uncommitted
Tyler Howell - uncommitted
Lio LaFaele - Texas Tech verbal

*All the above are 4 star rated players*

Reactions: 5 people
This morning on 104.5 the zone Nashville, UTs OL was a big topic and widly discussed.

Tennessee has to go the JUCO route or the transfer route to bring in immediate help with the OL for '15 class.

Your thoughts?

*this was broadcasted after the early morning thread started about this same topic.

Guess the only real question is do they want to come here

I'll take as many as possible after what I've witnessed in the last 4 weeks. OL production won't get significantly better in a years time without help from outside the current roster.

Reactions: 1 person

Your thoughts?

We should offer every one of them. And while we're at it... Offer frank wycheck the oline coaching position. Hell. We should offer him the offensive coordinator job

Reactions: 2 people
After Blair, I wonder if he feels confident taking JUCO OL? But IMO if we have an average OL next year we should be a pretty decent team. Something must be done quickly though, these OL that we have are simply not improving. Maybe another year in the weight rooms will make a big difference.

Reactions: 3 people
Man I get what he is saying, however JUCO is such hit and miss. We did that last year with Blair, and he got beat out by a walk on and hasn't seen the field yet. I don't think JUCO is always the "quick fix" everyone thinks it is. There is a reason they went JUCO, but I'm not sure what else you do to fix this Oline other than go back to 2012 and actually sign an Olineman.

How did Wycheck get his # retired by the Oiler/Titan franchise? Sorry if diverted from UT OL opinion, but whenever I go to a Titan game and see his name and number retired next to a name like Earl Campbell I just shake my head.

Speaking of JUCO O Linemen, what exactly is the deal with Blair?

Came in weak and out of shape. Not mentally ready to play in the SEC either.

Apparently, he's improving drastically in both aspects, but not enough YET for the coaches to burn his redshirt.

Hopefully, he will live up to his billing in 2015 and 2016.

How did Wycheck get his # retired by the Oiler/Titan franchise? Sorry if diverted from UT OL opinion, but whenever I go to a Titan game and see his name and number retired next to a name like Earl Campbell I just shake my head.

Music City Miracle

Your thoughts?

I have mentioned Howell several times as one I would not mind seeing UT's staff go after. Sam Pittman is trying to get him to Arkansas and they seem to be way out front in terms of his recruitment. 6'8 315, would be a solid candidate IMO.

After Blair, I wonder if he feels confident taking JUCO OL? But IMO if we have an average OL next year we should be a pretty decent team. Something must be done quickly though, these OL that we have are simply not improving. Maybe another year in the weight rooms will make a big difference.

Blair is one damn player!!!!!!!!! Plus, he's been redshirted, not dismissed!!!

Why does everyone refer to Blair when discussing all JUCOs....this is nuts............

Reactions: 8 people
Came in weak and out of shape. Not mentally ready to play in the SEC either.

Apparently, he's improving drastically in both aspects, but not enough YET for the coaches to burn his redshirt.

Hopefully, he will live up to his billing in 2015 and 2016.

This. Plus it's easier to look impressive against JUCO
defenses. Same can be said for all those listed in the op.

Man I get what he is saying, however JUCO is such hit and miss. We did that last year with Blair, and he got beat out by a walk on and hasn't seen the field yet. I don't think JUCO is always the "quick fix" everyone thinks it is. There is a reason they went JUCO, but I'm not sure what else you do to fix this Oline other than go back to 2012 and actually sign an Olineman.

JUCOs have paid huge dividends for the Vols through the years. More have been hits than misses..........

Reactions: 3 people
Speaking of JUCO O Linemen, what exactly is the deal with Blair?

Blair is redshirting. They see a lot of promise in him and are looking at him as an answer for OT in 2015 and 2016. He came in out of shape and they realized he wouldn't be ready until game 3 or later. Thought it would be better to get 2 full seasons out of him. 2015 and 2016 are the seasons that Butch knows he has to produce.

This. Plus it's easier to look impressive against JUCO
defenses. Same can be said for all those listed in the op.

Same can be said about high school senior recruits on every high school team when going against opponents that weight 195 lbs on the opposing defensive line.....

What's your point? Every player is a gamble and hit or miss.

Same can be said about high school senior recruits on every high school team when going against opponents that weight 195 lbs on the opposing defensive line.....

What's your point? Every player is a gamble and hit or miss.

Calm down and drop the bold. I have no prob with trying more jucos. OL is a really difficult place because unlike a qb (You can see his exact throwing motion)
a RB ( see and clock his speed ) etc.. etc..
linemen you see them doing just their skill against
what is given by juco Ds.
fewer pan out v other positions.
The ? I answered was about Blair. Not every position or h.s. recruits.

Haha the morning show is about half clueless to the vols all I really ever hear them talk about is the Titans or preds tbh

Blair is redshirting. They see a lot of promise in him and are looking at him as an answer for OT in 2015 and 2016. He came in out of shape and they realized he wouldn't be ready until game 3 or later. Thought it would be better to get 2 full seasons out of him. 2015 and 2016 are the seasons that Butch knows he has to produce.

I have read that may times and it still ticks me off that a kid knew he had a starting spot on a SEC O-Line and came in overweight and slow. I actually have concerns about him if that was the case and really wouldn't count on him.

JUCOs have paid huge dividends for the Vols through the years. More have been hits than misses..........

Tell me how many of those were on the offensive line? Toeina? He wasn't all world.

Juco players are nice to fill in spots and you hope that they can play immediately. But offensive line is a tough position to count on.

You take elite 4 year guys like Burrell & Richmond over that batch of JUCOs. This years class of JUCO OL isn't particularly strong, whereas this year's high school OL class is.

Landing a transfer from somewhere would be nice. I doubt te stars align for us and a quality OT is looking to transfer to us thiugh.

Wycheck's number isn't retired, his name is just in their ring of fame(and deservedly so. He was a very, very good TE.)

The Titans/Oilers retired numbers are:

Warren Moon's #1
Earl Campbell's #34
Jim Norton's #43
Mike Munchak's #63
Elvin Bethea's #65
Bruce Matthew's #74

Not sure if it still does or not, but the team's wiki page used to incorrectly have McNair's #9 listed as retired too, but it is not.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back