Question about offensive line recruiting

BigOrangeTrain

Morior Invictus
Our offensive line woes got me thinking. I have not kept up with recruiting until the past couple of years so I have a question.

How many O lineman should a coach try and sign each year?

I was thinking maybe 3-5 but then thought that might be too many. I know there are a lot of you who know more than I ever will about these things so what say you?

Our offensive line woes got me thinking. I have not kept up with recruiting until the past couple of years so I have a question.

How many O lineman should a coach try and sign each year?

I was thinking maybe 3-5 but then thought that might be too many. I know there are a lot of you who know more than I ever will about these things so what say you?

I would say 4 to as many as six. Injuries are common and some are busts.....

If you can't win in the trenches you have no chance. That's where it all starts......

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I'd say 3-4 a year is just fine. I'd never take less than 3 and taking more than 4 IMO will just trigger transfers. You want the guys you invest the time in to be sticking around. That keeps you stocked with 12-16 OL guys all the time. If you have a guy leave early, then you take an extra one the following class.

I thought CBJ said the goal was to have 15 scholarship O Linemen on the roster at a minimum and sign 4 every year. Or something close to that??

I think this year proves that if you have no OL, you have absolutely NOTHING.

4 is the number. You can go as low as 3 in a tight year when you have plenty of Oline returning or as high as 5 which we will probably hit this year. You don't want to just recruit bodies because you don't have the space and the good players look at the Oline numbers you bring in.

I actually think we're better off than some think on the Oline; some think we have 5 terrible olinemen but it's more a factor of everyone having to be shifted out of position because we don't have any true tackles on this team. We need to hit on at least one elite tackle or we're screwed next year.

Reactions: 1 person
Confused as to why the right tackle cannot get in front of the rusher... hell, get trucked or steam rolled, that will slow the rush down. Brush blocking is wearing Worley out.

Confused as to why the right tackle cannot get in front of the rusher... hell, get trucked or steam rolled, that will slow the rush down. Brush blocking is wearing Worley out.

IMO from what I see happening is the OT's are in retreat mode the second the snap is made. They are just not aggressive at all. They wait for the DL guy to come to them and they are so slow, when the DE makes his move our OT's are already grasping at air. IMO if they would initiate some of the contact it would go a long way to slowing down the pass rush.

JMO

Reactions: 2 people
IMO from what I see happening is the OT's are in retreat mode the second the snap is made. They are just not aggressive at all. They wait for the DL guy to come to them and they are so slow, when the DE makes his move our OT's are already grasping at air. IMO if they would initiate some of the contact it would go a long way to slowing down the pass rush.

JMO

Agreed

5-6 when you need to add depth to a very thin line like ours, then maybe 4-5 a year once the depth begins develop. Last year we signed 5 when you count Jashon Robertson. We had 5 committed right up until NSD when Orlando Brown Jr somehow got word that he would be cleared at OU. This year we have 4 with 1 LS and we plan on adding at least one more, say that would be 5 again (6 with Lovingood) for 2015. You also have to factor in things like attrition when recruiting for OL-I'm sure the coaches have a better idea of the numbers, but I'd guess less than 20% fall to attrition. All these factor into the number you take. 1 guy not panning out at the position he was recruited at could be an omen or a blessing (like J. Robertson). So not sure if that answer your question. It depends on how many were taken 3-4-5 years ago that are still on the team.

To give an example of previous attrition on the OL, look at our past 4 years. Dooley lays a goose egg in 2012 and in 2011 he signs a questionable class that has not exactly lived up to it's billing, however they still have a lot of time to prove themselves. In 2013 Dooley didn't exactly leave Butch a lot to work with, Sanders and Kendrick were Vols from the start but Butch went out and grabbed Wiesman.

2014 Butch signs 4, gets 5
2013 Butch inherited/signed 3.
2012 Dooley signed 0. - 100% attrition!
2011 Dooley signed 5. 3 are still with the program. Richardson went to the NFL, Jackson, Kerbyson, and Crowder are RS JRs and Alan Posey left the program. So that's 20% attrition if you discount Richardson.
2010 Dooley inherited/signed 5. Pair is a RS SR, 2 graduated, 2 went to the NFL. No attrition.

JMO

This. They back peddle constantly. A 4 year old could push them backwards if they're already moving backwards on their own. There is 0 punch, their feet and hips never square up to the rusher, they just back peddle and lean into the rusher. Even in run blocking the don't move forward, they wait till the DL runs into them then they try to start pushing, but because they have 0 forward momentum, they lose the battle every time.

Reactions: 1 person
I broke this down one day, and if I recall correctly Bama recruited about 4 OL on avg. I used Bama just because their o-line has been so good in the past. I think 4 on average is what you want to shoot for. You need to sign 2 OT every year, atleast 1 G every year, and atleast 1 C prospect every other year.

VN Store

Back