Any possible JUCO OL help on the horizon?

cbrown

If not, next year will be rough as well. The way things lined up for Butch has been unfortunate - decent OL for year 1 but QB struggles, OL crap for years 2-3 as QB play is improved. It will be year 4 (if that) before we have a combination of quality OL and QB play. DD left his mark with that zero OL recruiting class. He's the gift that keeps giving.

Reactions: 2 people
Yep, looks like 4-8 this year, bout 5-7 next year. Probably 2016 get to a bowl game if we catch a few breaks. I expect to be contending for the East in 10-15 years.

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm very excited that

A) Every OL on our team returns next year (except Gilliam)

B) Our OL recruiting class looks awesome.

Reactions: 1 person
6 games into the year and we are already at wait until next year. They should consider some JUCO help for the OL because next year has the potential to be worse.

What makes you say this? I hope you are right but, that's a bold statement considering he hasn't even seen the field yet.

My theory is that Blair came in out of shape (documented) and we were going to be deep into the season before he could contribute. I think they decided that it would be silly to burn a year for 5 or 6 games. I think before the season they felt Gilliam would be as effective as Blair so why burn it? After the Gilliam injury, they decided to stick with their plans. Also, I think Butch is sand bagging a little bit this year. I'm not saying he's sacrificing this season but I think he knew the ceiling for this team was 6-7 wins with or without Blair and Dobbs, thus the redshirts. I really think his goal was a bowl game with spending the least amount of resources possible.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. This opinion may or may not be shared by others on the board. Please use this theory at your own risk as ridicule is often the result of such usage. The OP shares no responsibility of said use. This theory is derived from information garnered from other posters as well as people that have their fingers on the pulse of the program.

Reactions: 11 people
If not, next year will be rough as well. The way things lined up for Butch has been unfortunate - decent OL for year 1 but QB struggles, OL crap for years 2-3 as QB play is improved. It will be year 4 (if that) before we have a combination of quality OL and QB play. DD left his mark with that zero OL recruiting class. He's the gift that keeps giving.

You mean a Chris Mimms type of player or a transfer like Bullock was from Notre Dame?

My theory is that Blair came in out of shape (documented) and we were going to be deep into the season before he could contribute. I think they decided that it would be silly to burn a year for 5 or 6 games. I think before the season they felt Gilliam would be as effective as Blair so why burn it? After the Gilliam injury, they decided to stick with their plans. Also, I think Butch is sand bagging a little bit this year. I'm not saying he's sacrificing this season but I think he knew the ceiling for this team was 6-7 wins with or without Blair and Dobbs, thus the redshirts. I really think his goal was a bowl game with spending the least amount of resources possible.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. This opinion may or may not be shared by others on the board. Please use this theory at your own risk as ridicule is often the result of such usage. The OP shares no responsibility of said use. This theory is derived from information garnered from other posters as well as people that have their fingers on the pulse of the program.

If it could ever be proven that he sandbagged a season I'd fire his ass immediately. His job is to win as soon and as often as possible. If a few more wins were possible this year and he didn't do it he didn't fulfill his job obligation.

Reactions: 1 person
What makes you say this? I hope you are right but, that's a bold statement considering he hasn't even seen the field yet.

He was not ready when he got here, why throw a year away, this team can win 8 next year with any decent OL play you could put him in there this week, and we would still lose, we play the second best team in the country at there place, then the next bama why use a year up when you going to lose anyway.:eek:hmy:

If it could ever be proven that he sandbagged a season I'd fire his ass immediately. His job is to win as soon and as often as possible. If a few more wins were possible this year and he didn't do it he didn't fulfill his job obligation.

Maybe sand bagging is the wrong word. Did you read my disclaimer? I think more of allocation of resources over time would be a better way of putting it. I think he felt that neither Dobbs nor Blair would effect the win total this year. We as fans look at one game, one month, one season. He knows he's got 4 years to get this thing going. Nothing wrong with him allocating his resources over time to get him where he wants to be. I compare this to burning Worley's redshirt when it made absolutely no impact on the season that year. Can you imagine the outlook for next year had we had JW coming back? Now it's turned into a huge question mark.

Reactions: 5 people

I think you are right, no reason to use a year up when you are going to lose anyway, he is using his head he is building for 15 and 16, this team could win the East next year we could not this year, you are not going to win this league with a freshmen team and that's what we are trying to do, I watched Ole Miss that's us in 2 years.:dance2:

He was not ready when he got here, why throw a year away, this team can win 8 next year with any decent OL play you could put him in there this week, and we would still lose, we play the second best team in the country at there place, then the next bama why use a year up when you going to lose anyway.:eek:hmy:

Pedigo making a lot of sense.

Instant gratification over a well thought out plan for long term sustained success. :crazy:

Reactions: 4 people
I think you are right, no reason to use a year up when you are going to lose anyway, he is using his head he is building for 15 and 16, this team could win the East next year we could not this year, you are not going to win this league with a freshmen team and that's what we are trying to do, I watched Ole Miss that's us in 2 years.:dance2:

Unless we add agame changer at OT in the 2015 class, we aren't winning the east with this OL anytime soon.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm very excited that

A) Every OL on our team returns next year (except Gilliam)

B) Our OL recruiting class looks awesome.

They still will be young and you already see, what freshmen play like, we got to go and get 2 or 3 Junior College O-LINEMAN, don't care about Blair we got to hit on 2 of them or we will be in trouble.

You guys do realize that of the top 10 JUCO OTs in the last class only 1 or 2 are even playing for their team. I'd be perfectly happy if we never took another JUCO OL.

6 games into the year and we are already at wait until next year. They should consider some JUCO help for the OL because next year has the potential to be worse.

Every year has the potential to be worse than the one before. Except for Worley and AJ, we're not losing anyone of importance. Two key players, yes, but this isn't a mass exodus like last year.

I love AJ, but the defense will be fine, maybe even better next year since they're all babies. Worley has improved, but I recall everyone hating him this time last year the same way many people hate Peterman now.

VN Store

Back