Recruiting Forum: UNofficial Ole' Miss Pre-Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
No other program in the nation, with the possible exception of Mississippi State, has shocked the college football world this season than Ole' Miss. Naturally, they neatly fall into our schedule, as if there was any other possible solution. Last year, we were lucky enough to get Auburn who played for the National Championship. If there was any way for us to have a 3rd opponent from the SEC West, you better believe it would also be Mississippi State this year.

Before the season began, Volnation was probably 75% optimistic that we had a good chance to take this game. Reality has begun to sink in, and the truth is, Ole' Miss is one of the better teams in the country, and we are still growing up. The keys to a Vol victory are few and simple, but by no means, easy.

1. No Green: Keep Justin Worley's uniform nice and white. If his jersey ends up looking like an Oregon jersey by the end of the night, it's going to be a bad time. Ole' Miss has an outstanding pass rush, and it is no secret what those have done to the Vols this season. We all know the struggles the offensive line has had. Unfortunately, the growth has been exceptionally slow, and barring a miracle, Worley will be wearing a lot of green, which means turnovers and a greatly pared down playbook.

All of this to say, the Rebels may have the 2nd rated scoring defense in the nation, (11.2 ppg) but only 3 of their 6 wins have been against teams with a pulse. Vandy, Memphis, and LA Lafayette are pitiful. Their 3 other opponents (Boise, Bama, T A&M) have averaged 297 yards passing. Worley will need 250+ with 1 or less turnovers to have us in the game.

2. Force Turnovers: The Vols need to protect the ball when they have it, force turnovers often, and capitalize when they get them. Quarterback Bo Wallace throws for a lot of yards, but he has had interception issues in the past. He has cleaned it up a bit this year, with 6 INT's, though none have come against SEC opponents. The Vol secondary is playing excellent football, and three interceptions to give a struggling offense field position would be fantastic.

The Rebels have a solid, but not fantastic running game. Call me crazy, but I kind of like the way the Vol defense matches up here.

3. Keep it Low: The Vols are not going to win a shoot-out here. If they keep Worley clean, and Wallace turns the ball over, they have a chance to grind out a low scoring slug-fest. But if they can't slow down the Rebel offense, they are not going to be able to keep up, and this game will get out of hand.

Prediction: There are no magic beans. Our difficulties running the ball and giving Worley time are not going to be solved in the next 6 days. If that were the case, I think the Vols could make this very interesting. As it is, there's going to be a lot of angry people around here next Saturday night. Of course, we won by 35 this week, and there were still a lot of angry people, so par for the course, I suppose.

TN 6
Miss 24

Reactions: 4 people
No other program in the nation, with the possible exception of Mississippi State, has shocked the college football world this season than Ole' Miss. Naturally, they neatly fall into our schedule, as if there was any other possible solution. Last year, we were lucky enough to get Auburn who played for the National Championship. If there was any way for us to have a 3rd opponent from the SEC West, you better believe it would also be Mississippi State this year.

Before the season began, Volnation was probably 75% optimistic that we had a good chance to take this game. Reality has begun to sink in, and the truth is, Ole' Miss is one of the better teams in the country, and we are still growing up. The keys to a Vol victory are few and simple, but by no means, easy.

1. No Green: Keep Justin Worley's uniform nice and white. If his jersey ends up looking like an Oregon jersey by the end of the night, it's going to be a bad time. Ole' Miss has an outstanding pass rush, and it is no secret what those have done to the Vols this season. We all know the struggles the offensive line has had. Unfortunately, the growth has been exceptionally slow, and barring a miracle, Worley will be wearing a lot of green, which means turnovers and a greatly pared down playbook.

All of this to say, the Rebels may have the 2nd rated scoring defense in the nation, (11.2 ppg) but only 3 of their 6 wins have been against teams with a pulse. Vandy, Memphis, and LA Lafayette are pitiful. Their 3 other opponents (Boise, Bama, T A&M) have averaged 297 yards passing. Worley will need 250+ with 1 or less turnovers to have us in the game.

2. Force Turnovers: The Vols need to protect the ball when they have it, force turnovers often, and capitalize when they get them. Quarterback Bo Wallace throws for a lot of yards, but he has had interception issues in the past. He has cleaned it up a bit this year, with 6 INT's, though none have come against SEC opponents. The Vol secondary is playing excellent football, and three interceptions to give a struggling offense field position would be fantastic.

The Rebels have a solid, but not fantastic running game. Call me crazy, but I kind of like the way the Vol defense matches up here.

3. Keep it Low: The Vols are not going to win a shoot-out here. If they keep Worley clean, and Wallace turns the ball over, they have a chance to grind out a low scoring slug-fest. But if they can't slow down the Rebel offense, they are not going to be able to keep up, and this game will get out of hand.

Prediction: There are no magic beans. Our difficulties running the ball and giving Worley time are not going to be solved in the next 6 days. If that were the case, I think the Vols could make this very interesting. As it is, there's going to be a lot of angry people around here next Saturday night. Of course, we won by 35 this week, and there were still a lot of angry people, so par for the course, I suppose.

TN 6
Miss 24

24-6 may be optimistic. We can hope that since we are a 3-3 team sandwiched between better teams they put it on cruise control this week. Bo Wallace hasnt had a Bo What! day in a while.

Last edited:
24-6 may be optimistic. We can hope that since we are a 3-3 team sandwiched between better teams they put it on cruise control this week. Bo Wallace hasnt had a Bo What! day in a while.

It may be, but like I said, I like how our D matches up here.

Agree with all of above, Nick.

Tennessee's D hasn't allowed more than 28 points this year, and I so no reason that Ole Miss will score more than that. Over the course of a 60 minute game, you have to assume that the offense (or D/ST) can get in the end zone at least once... we have too many playmakers to assume one of them won't do it (despite the pitiful result 2 games ago).

For Tennessee to win:
1) Worley has to hit at least a couple long passes. There's a good chance we get zero, as the o-line must hold up for the pass to be delivered (which they haven't) and Worley has to hit the guy in stride downfield (which he hasn't).

2) Win special teams - Evan Berry had the best return of the year, but it was against UTC so what does it really mean?

3) Win turnovers - obviously .. specifically do not give up turnovers. If we don't give up the ball for 60 minutes, we have a chance.

4) Defense has to exceed expectations (again) and possibly score their own touchdown. I have been really impressed all year - I can't help thinking about what 2012 would have been with this D.
- Sutton has to own Treadwell, perhaps the toughest match ups of the season for him during the next two weeks … would be nice to take him off PR (just one opinion)

5) Ole Miss is better than UT, and it's not close. We don't win unless they seriously overlook us.

Ole Miss 24 - UT 10

Last edited:
Agree with all of above, Nick.

Tennessee's D hasn't allowed more than 28 points this year, and I so no reason that Ole Miss will score more than that. Over the course of a 60 minute game, you have to assume that the offense (or D/ST) can get in the end zone at least once... we have too many playmakers to assume one of them won't do it (despite the pitiful result 2 games ago).

For Tennessee to win:
1) Worley has to hit at least a couple long passes. There's a good chance we get zero, as the o-line must hold up for the pass to be delivered (which they haven't) and Worley has to hit the guy in stride downfield (which he hasn't).

2) Win special teams - Evan Berry had the best return of the year, but it was against UTC so what does it really mean?

3) Win turnovers - obviously .. specifically do not give up turnovers. If we don't give up the ball for 60 minutes, we have a chance.

4) Defense has to exceed expectations (again) and possibly score their own touchdown. I have been really impressed all year - I can't help thinking about what 2012 would have been with this D.
- Sutton has to own Treadwell, perhaps the toughest match ups of the season for him during the next two weeks … would be nice to take him off PR (just one opinion)

5) Ole Miss is better than UT, and it's not close. We don't win unless they seriously overlook us.

Ole Miss 24 - UT 10

Berry's return was the result of bad tackling, way back around the 20 or so. Also, the whole coverage team converged on that area instead of playing their lanes, allowing him to get outside.

A disciplined coverage team makes that a routine return, but good for Berry to take advantage of what they gave him.

The sideline really seemed to get excited about the Berry return as well.

TN 6
Miss 24

Lol. Won by 35 and a lot of angry people around here.

I say u take the opening line n double it that will be difference..bat some point def is going to give up n I think as soon as they know no bowl chance

The Vols only had one penalty for five yards yesterday. The offense wasn't always the most efficient but they didn't kill themselves with stupid penalties that killed the momentum of their long drives. That is another big key to the OM game... Keep the penalties to a minimum. We are gonna be in another hostile environment of a team that is rolling right now. The Vols have got to keep their options in check and play fundamental penalty free football. If they do it will go a long way to increasing their chances.

(Also the SEC refs need to remember to put their friggin contacts in!)

Reactions: 3 people
We are not going to beat Ole Miss, we got a better chance at bama, they are the second best team in the country behind STATE, might be ugly this week with the way they pressure the QB, something like 35-6 would not surprise me. Think about it, Worley was running for his life and limping around all day against the MOCS if we cant slow UT-C down, what will the Rebels do to Worley, need to get Peterman a lot of work this week, Worley will get hurt this week he cant keep getting up from the hits he has taken all year, got to come a time he wont get up.:mf_surrender:The worst OL I every saw as a fan of 43 years not just the VOLS but anywhere.:cray: The sad part about it is with just 2 or 3 decent O- lineman we could very easily be 5 and 1 and a good shot at the East, we are so close but so far in one way.:eek:hmy:

Last edited:
It may be, but like I said, I like how our D matches up here.

I do too. But, if we can't drive down the field with our
O-line and score, our D will be passing out in the fourth qtr. Just can't rely on a D to bring it all four quarters with no rest...unless there really is a Santa Claus. :thud:

GO VOLS!

The main thing for me right now is praying for the players safety. That Landshark D is flat out nasty. Of course, ours is pretty nasty too. Hope Barnett gets to Bo Wallace and rips him a new one.

Reactions: 1 person
Defense will play good enough to win but...

Offense will give up more points than the D.

UT 10

UM 24

16-13 OT UT. Berry houses one to open the 2nd half and 3 field goals by AM, one at the end of regulation and one in OT for the win.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back