Recruiting Forum: UNofficial Chatanooga Pre-Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
On the heels of one of the more discouraging losses over the last couple of seasons, the Vols have a nice "tune-up" game before they resume the brutal SEC schedule.

Let's be honest. This will not be much of a game. Chattanooga can put up some points, (45 ppg in their last 3), but they will be very over-matched against Tennessee. This will be an opportunity for the Vols to build some confidence, try some new things, and hopefully, get some youngsters some repetitions. Here is what I'd like to see.

1. I don't want to see you: Von Pearson, Josh Smith, Jalen Hurd, Marlin Lane, Ethan Wolf... all of these players have been dinged up and could use an extra week of rest. I am not sure that we will rest Marlin Lane. Hurd is out, but after Marlin, you don't really have anyone who has taken a legitimate snap yet. Look for Scott to finally get some touches.

Pearson played a bit against Florida, but would be better served with some rest to get back to 100%. Smith has not yet returned from his injury, and I'd like to see Ethan Wolf keep his snaps low.

2. The deeper the better: Throw the ball all over the field. Take some chances and let Worley and the WR's connect on some deep balls. North deserves it, and we sure as heck deserve it as fans. Air that junk out, and let's add that dynamic to our offense as we enter the second half of the season.

3. 4th Quarter Strong: The defense has done well this season, but has faded in the 4th quarter. It's a 4 quarter game, and that is where Florida and Georgia have beaten us. Depth is an issue, but we have to play 4.

4. Rack it up: The Vols have not broken the 40 point barrier this season. They need to do that this Saturday. Not because I think Chattanooga will score 39, but because the fans are gutted from the last week, and you can bet the team is as well. Nothing soothes the pain of losing like winning... and winning big. Score a lot of points, have fun again, and let Neyland go home happy.

That's pretty much it for this week. I could drag it out longer, but that's the basic idea of what I'm hoping to see out of this game.

UT 45
Chatt 10

Reactions: 4 people
Good points, but I disagree about the defense. They have brought it for the entire game all year. Shut out OU in the 4th, and they were still trying to score more. Back-ups gave up the only score to Utah St in the 4th. Only gave up 7 to Georgia in the 4th. Gave up 7 to Florida on a short field (30 yards), and a long FG that should have never counted. A fading defense isn't close to our problem IMO.

Reactions: 7 people
Good points, but I disagree about the defense. They have brought it for the entire game all year. Shut out OU in the 4th, and they were still trying to score more. Back-ups gave up the only score to Utah St in the 4th. Only gave up 7 to Georgia in the 4th. Gave up 7 to Florida on a short field (30 yards), and a long FG that should have never counted. A fading defense isn't close to our problem IMO.

I agree. There is a major difference with fading and the opponent figuring out your scheme while getting their act together on offense. Did anybody watch the Titans/Browns game yesterday?

This is a real Vol D. The kind of which we can be very proud that fits our tradition. I dogged AJ as much as anybody, but no more. He is the real deal now. He has corrected a major tackling issue and now squares up in the hole and blasts RBs when the opportunity is there. There is not one part of the D that I do not admire their effort and perseverance.

Reactions: 3 people
Our defense has not been bad in the 4th, but the last two games, I have seen the running game get stronger for Georgia and Florida.

JMO

On the heels of one of the more discouraging losses over the last couple of seasons, the Vols have a nice "tune-up" game before they resume the brutal SEC schedule.

Let's be honest. This will not be much of a game. Chattanooga can put up some points, (45 ppg in their last 3), but they will be very over-matched against Tennessee. This will be an opportunity for the Vols to build some confidence, try some new things, and hopefully, get some youngsters some repetitions. Here is what I'd like to see.

1. I don't want to see you: Von Pearson, Josh Smith, Jalen Hurd, Marlin Lane, Ethan Wolf... all of these players have been dinged up and could use an extra week of rest. I am not sure that we will rest Marlin Lane. Hurd is out, but after Marlin, you don't really have anyone who has taken a legitimate snap yet. Look for Scott to finally get some touches.

Pearson played a bit against Florida, but would be better served with some rest to get back to 100%. Smith has not yet returned from his injury, and I'd like to see Ethan Wolf keep his snaps low.

2. The deeper the better: Throw the ball all over the field. Take some chances and let Worley and the WR's connect on some deep balls. North deserves it, and we sure as heck deserve it as fans. Air that junk out, and let's add that dynamic to our offense as we enter the second half of the season.

3. 4th Quarter Strong: The defense has done well this season, but has faded in the 4th quarter. It's a 4 quarter game, and that is where Florida and Georgia have beaten us. Depth is an issue, but we have to play 4.

4. Rack it up: The Vols have not broken the 40 point barrier this season. They need to do that this Saturday. Not because I think Chattanooga will score 39, but because the fans are gutted from the last week, and you can bet the team is as well. Nothing soothes the pain of losing like winning... and winning big. Score a lot of points, have fun again, and let Neyland go home happy.

That's pretty much it for this week. I could drag it out longer, but that's the basic idea of what I'm hoping to see out of this game.

UT 45
Chatt 10

Forget about #2 Worley doesn't have time make the three step drop require to throw the deep ball. :no:

Reactions: 1 person
I agree. There is a major difference with fading and the opponent figuring out your scheme while getting their act together on offense. Did anybody watch the Titans/Browns game yesterday?

This is a real Vol D. The kind of which we can be very proud that fits our tradition. I dogged AJ as much as anybody, but no more. He is the real deal now. He has corrected a major tackling issue and now squares up in the hole and blasts RBs when the opportunity is there. There is not one part of the D that I do not admire their effort and perseverance.

Watch the Seawhawks D tonight, that's the way I want to see the Vols play D! AJ is an All-American LB.

Agree 100% on AJ. He has increased his lateral speed immensely. I love the way he is hitting people now.

Agree 100% on AJ. He has increased his lateral speed immensely. I love the way he is hitting people now.

Means our S&C is doing a good job...I wonder how much he customizes for players based on needed improvement areas.

I'm very interested to see how the team performs this week. I expect to win no matter what, but I could easily see this being a trap sort of game. During fulmer's later years and during the Dooley years, this is the type of game that we come out laying an egg and only win by seven or 10 when we should've won by 30. I'm very interested to see how a young team deals with the adversity of losing a game they should've won. Plus it's the week ahead of their third straight road game against a top 10 opponent. Very easy to overlook Chattanooga if they aren't careful. This game will give us a good idea of just how good of a coach Butch is when the chips are down in my opinion. i'd love for the O line to have a very good to dominant performance this week, gaining some much-needed confidence before the Ole Miss game.

Want to see.

-Lets see how someone else is in the return game. Punt and kickoff. I dont want to see Sutton back there risking the chance that he might get hurt.
-Run the ball with Scott.
-Vanilla
-Run up the score.
-Lets throw the deep ball a few times and get it down.

Reactions: 2 people
I want to see us get up big early so we can see some 2nd team guys and rest some starters.

What is wrong with Hurd? I did notice him missing from most of the 2nd half..

Want to see.

-Lets see how someone else is in the return game. Punt and kickoff. I dont want to see Sutton back there risking the chance that he might get hurt.
-Run the ball with Scott.
-Vanilla
-Run up the score.
-Lets throw the deep ball a few times and get it down.

PLEASE give someone else a chance at kick return. DY is just not the answer. When they kicked off after their TD, he had a lane that formed up the middle, and he bounced it outside, as always.

Reactions: 1 person
So UTC is ranked???

They almost beat a Central/North/Eastern/Western or whatever Michigan team a couple weeks ago? They were playing a MAC team.

Hope we don't overlook them.

Disagree on Pearson and Smith. They have been out for a while, and if they can get some snaps at game speed then they need to.

VN Store

Back