Left Tackle

sjt18

I don't keep up with recruiting like I once did. So for those of you who do, is UT in on anyone who could become a top tier SEC offensive left tackle?

God bless Kerbyson but he has neither the build nor athleticism for the job. But he's apparently the best current option.

So is there someone to look forward to in this recruiting class?

I don't keep up with recruiting like I once did. So for those of you who do, is UT in on anyone who could become a top tier SEC offensive left tackle?

God bless Kerbyson but he has neither the build nor athleticism for the job. But he's apparently the best current option.

OK look Left. pause. Now swing over to the Right. There is the problem. RG and RT. Need immediate help.

Dylan Jackson IMO. But he will need a redshirt year to put on the weight and adjust to the necessary strength level.

I'm personally concerned with Don Mahoney. Marcus Jackson and Mack Crowder looked better in previous years than this season. I'm afraid we will struggle to develop at OL. Recruits don't seem to really mention Mahoney much. It will be interesting to see how loyal Butch will be to him.

Reactions: 2 people

I really like jack Jones but I think he's a guard in the end. We are after guys like 3* OT: Isaiah Prince (Bama or Maryland bound. He's good, but probably to late)
3/4* OT: William Sweet (NC commitment. Would be a great pull if we got on him. Landing Shy may help here, maybe)
3/4* OT: Patrick "Pat" Allen (UGA commit who's visited yesterday and was decked out in orange)
3* OT/OG: Marquel Harrell (AU commit. UT was on him but backed off. Same high school as Boulware and Berry Bros)
4* OG: Matthew Burrell (once seemed unlikely but has seemed to really heat up and just visited yesterday)

Reactions: 3 people
If the staff wants another OT, I still think they need to make a play for Tyler Howell. He's a Juco kid out in Kansas. 6'9 315LBS. Sam Pittman and Arkansas have offered him and are the only school that looks to be really in play for the kid.

Reactions: 1 person

Last edited:
Our problem now is inexperience and a bunch of freshman will not solve our problem next year. But depth is an issue.

We could use a good JUCO tackle (Blair must be a bust), and coach up the freshmen for next season. They are getting max teaching and experience, so SO season should (please Lord!) show much improvement. Butch is killing it at recruiting. But let's face it, the OL is the place where he's not done so well.

Yet, I always remember the year we lit UF up in Neyland (1990?). Todd Kelly Sr. and Horace Morris etc literally abused the FR Gator RtTackle and nearly killed their QB (ala Worley). That poor kid looked like a fish out of water, which should sound familiar. Iirc, that same FR tackle finished his career with UF as 1st Team All SEC! As bad as this is in 2014, we actually do have a lot to look forward to in 16-17 most likely.

Reactions: 4 people
Boy this is disheartening. I know some of you live recruiting so if you aren't aware of a LT that UT is likely to get.... that could mean real trouble.

He must be flat awful

Could be. But JRM didn't just become a good athlete this year. He tackled well and flew all over the place on ST's last year. But the staff didn't think it was the right move to give him OJT at LB. This year he's a stud.

IIRC, they are trying to RS Blair. Could be the same type of situation. They want to develop him before shoving him out there.

Has Blair even stepped on the field this year? I wonder if the staff wants to redshirt him. If so maybe he just needs a year in a SEC S&C program to be able to get in proper shape to play at a high level instead of just forcing him out there to be below average. That might just be wishful thinking, but it would be great if he developed into just an average SEC LT and we could move Kerb to either RT or back to guard.

The jury is still out on Blair. Seems to me if they thought he was a lost cause they would go ahead and play him some and get him gone. I'm hoping he's going to come back next year ready to play.

Last edited:
The jury is still out on Blair. Seems to me if they thought he was a lost cause they would go ahead and play him some and get him gone. I'm hoping he's going to come back next year ready to play.

Agreed. Blair will be a 2 year stop gap for the 2014 and 2015 season. I would have loved to see how this season would have played out if Jacob Gilliam stayed healthy.

Dylan Jackson IMO. But he will need a redshirt year to put on the weight and adjust to the necessary strength level.

I'm personally concerned with Don Mahoney. Marcus Jackson and Mack Crowder looked better in previous years than this season. I'm afraid we will struggle to develop at OL. Recruits don't seem to really mention Mahoney much. It will be interesting to see how loyal Butch will be to him.
Agreed. We filled gaping holes (for the most part) in other areas of deficiencies, but OL recruiting (for the 2013 and 2014 classes) has been abysmal. Not a single one has panned out, and I too, now have to question Mahoney's ability to recruit and coach.

We thought Janzek was a weak link until now, so I hope Mahoney acquits himself. But the OL play, even with 3 NFL players on the roster last year, has been disappointing, thus far. Now, Janzek is looking better with more talent and speed on defense. Let's hope there is a recruiting Renaissance on the OL in the 2015 class.

Agreed. Blair will be a 2 year stop gap for the 2014 and 2015 season. I would have loved to see how this season would have played out if Jacob Gilliam stayed healthy.
When asked about Blair and the OL woes, CBJ seems to elude to the need to improve our strength levels. When asked about Blair, point blank, today....he repeated that same sentiment. STRENGTH. My guess is, when bull-rushed, Blair may have difficulty anchoring.

I cannot believe he is that deficient, talent-wise, or else they should have been able to spot that deficiency during recruiting.

Agreed. We filled gaping holes (for the most part) in other areas of deficiencies, but OL recruiting (for the 2013 and 2014 classes) has been abysmal. Not a single one has panned out, and I too, now have to question Mahoney's ability to recruit and coach.

We thought Janzek was a weak link until now, so I hope Mahoney acquits himself. But the OL play, even with 3 NFL players on the roster last year, has been disappointing, thus far. Now, Janzek is looking better with more talent and speed on defense. Let's hope there is a recruiting Renaissance on the OL in the 2015 class.

Don't you think having a new OL coach every year had something to do with how they played? Having a new OL coach every year does not seem very smart to me. The problem is there are 2 freshmen on the right side of the line and our RG is playing LT. Results are somewhat predictable.

I think Jack Jones and Zach Stewart are going to be our starting OT's before long. Jones has the nastiness and technique you want, but probably needs at least a year in the S&C program.

But Stewart is already at an SEC level in size. If he has sound technique coming in, I could see him overtake Kerbyson at LT, perhaps. Kind of like Juan James coming at RT, as a freshman. Even though you don't normally want to play freshmen.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO-PUTb70sI[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HdwwbOBKE[/youtube]

The 14 class of OL is not abysmal. Thomas and Robertson were forced to start and have typical freshmen issues but they can develop into good players. Give me a break with the drama.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back