"As Big Ten Declines, Homegrown Talent Fades and Flees"

AboveAllNations

There's an interesting article in the New York Times today, featuring Jerome Baker as one example of a snowballing trend where elite recruits from Big Ten states sign elsewhere because the conference is so bad. It's a sad commentary on a trend that mirrors the economic decline of the rust belt generally. And oh yeah:

The Big Ten’s slide is a byproduct of an even more undeniable (and much-documented) fact: The Southeastern Conference, which won seven consecutive B.C.S. championships, towers over college football like a colossus.

S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!

There's an interesting article in the New York Times today, featuring Jerome Baker as one example of a snowballing trend where elite recruits from Big Ten states sign elsewhere because the conference is so bad. It's a sad commentary on a trend that mirrors the economic decline of the rust belt generally. And oh yeah:

S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!

What's sad is this problem is much bigger than just football. People have fled the northern states due to economic reasons, and this in turn, has lessoned the talent pools in the northern state's high schools due to population decreases. It's basic statistics, the more players available the more chances some of them will be big time recruits. Not only did the SEC already hold a huge advantage in recruiting due to states like GA, FL, and NC, that advantage has become noticeable bigger due to the influx of people moving toward the South for jobs.

Last edited:
What's sad is this problem is much bigger than just football. People have fled the northern states due to economical reasons, and this in turn, has lessoned the talent pools in the northern state's high schools due to population decreases. It's basic statistics, the more players available the more chances some of them will be big time recruits. Not only did the SEC already hold a huge advantage in recruiting due to states like GA, FL, and NC, that advantage has become noticeable bigger due to the influx of people moving toward the South for jobs.

Economical? This sounds serious.

Also helps that MO and TX are now part of the SEC Footprint.

People can't afford to live in Midwest cities or anywhere in the Northeast. Unions, taxes, over-regulation, obozocare are drying up businesses and jobs.

How many rich New Yorkers/Marylanders retire in state...less than 10%. That is why there are so many retirees in FL. All the new jobs are heading to Right-To-Work states.

Reactions: 5 people

S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!

With so many northern cities and states being run by Liberal Democrats, either as mayors or governors, the results are very predictable.
So of late, many, many families have been running from those places, such as Ohio, New York, Michigan & Illinois. They are running from high crime rates, poor education system, bad weather, high unemployment and less freedoms.
They come the S.E.C. territory so they can have easier gun rights, better employment opportunities, better weather and a less intrusion from the government.

Their children are growing up here and will likely NOT return to the area that they left to attend college. They will usually choose to go to a South Eastern university. More likely the S.E.C., if they are talented enough.

You will see the talent gap widen more and more as the years pass. Thank you liberal democrat politicians who don't know how to govern and are causing families who have been in those area's for decades to pack up and relocate.

Reactions: 6 people
With so many northern cities and states being run by Liberal Democrats, either as mayors or governors, the results are very predictable.
So of late, many, many families have been running from those places, such as Ohio, New York, Michigan & Illinois. They are running from high crime rates, poor education system, bad weather, high unemployment and less freedoms.
They come the S.E.C. territory so they can have easier gun rights, better employment opportunities, better weather and a less intrusion from the government.

Their children are growing up here and will likely NOT return to the area that they left to attend college. They will usually choose to go to a South Eastern university. More likely the S.E.C., if they are talented enough.

You will see the talent gap widen more and more as the years pass. Thank you liberal democrat politicians who don't know how to govern and are causing families who have been in those area's for decades to pack up and relocate.
Now they are what we call damn yankees.The ones that came too visit and stayed.

Reactions: 1 person

Detroit is the perfect example of this. Been ran by Corrupt Dem Politicians for 50+ years.

Reactions: 5 people
I mean't economic reasons :) I try not to sound like a country guy that I am at heart, but sometimes it sneaks up and gets me.

I knew what you were going for, I just thought it was funny. Happens to the best of us.

I am not so sure that "economcial" reasons would be the single point, but I would say the success of the SEC, the weather, culture, eye candy and eveything that comes with living in the south is a bigger reason vs. any micro or macro economics issues. I read an article once that indicated that 80% of recuits go to their favorite schools growing up, so the SEC must be getting the 20% that = ALL the 5 and 4 Star athletes.

GBO!!!

People can't afford to live in Midwest cities or anywhere in the Northeast. Unions, taxes, over-regulation, obozocare are drying up businesses and jobs.

How many rich New Yorkers/Marylanders retire in state...less than 10%. That is why there are so many retirees in FL. All the new jobs are heading to Right-To-Work states.

Hell, now days, even Floridians are moving to TN for their retirement. I was looking at some population growth statistics on the tn.gov website the other day and TN's population, which has already greatly expanded since 2000, is expected to grow by another 1m in the next decade.

I am in Colorado as well........Go Big Orange!!:good!:

You sir get it! Just like Butch does.

Homer-Walks-Into-Bar-and-Leaves.gif

hahahaha. "Easier gun rights", hahahahahahah. Better education, hahahahaha. But I'll give you a pass on the weather. I love North Dakota in the winter, but please don't go there. Education sucks - and all guns are outlawed.:)

Last edited:
What's sad is this problem is much bigger than just football. People have fled the northern states due to economic reasons, and this in turn, has lessoned the talent pools in the northern state's high schools due to population decreases. It's basic statistics, the more players available the more chances some of them will be big time recruits. Not only did the SEC already hold a huge advantage in recruiting due to states like GA, FL, and NC, that advantage has become noticeable bigger due to the influx of people moving toward the South for jobs.

That's another reason why people need to relax about CBJ leaving. His assistants pay would be affected. I don't see a sec head coach leaving to go backwards. NFL coach maybe.

Hell, now days, even Floridians are moving to TN for their retirement. I was looking at some population growth statistics on the tn.gov website the other day and TN's population, which has already greatly expanded since 2000, is expected to grow by another 1m in the next decade.

That's cause us natives are running from the Yankees.

VN Store

Back