Up to #5 on Rivals...

When you are recruiting on this level (top 10) it really is a matter of coach's evaluation, and minimizing busts, when it comes to whether you are going to compete for the SEC.

Example, Jason Carr was a 4-star D-line prospect who everyone was pumped to get. He washed out year one because he didn't want to play O-line. Butch has more than tempered that with 2-star and 3-star recruits who have played beyond expectations.

Edit: I just realize I said 'minimizing busts' in this post. My apologies to the forum's avatars out there.

Reactions: 4 people
Gap is incredibly small between 1st through 7th most years.

What will be our ranking after Taylor tonight is the question? They count the top twenty committed prospects on Rivals.

Reactions: 1 person
Gap is incredibly small between 1st through 7th most years.

This is a key point. If we're rated top 5 that means we're recruiting the same level of talent as the best programs in the country and should be expected to compete with them on the field.

Also before people get too down on being ranked below other SEC teams, remember that our on the field results suck right now. With winning we can expect recruiting to be easier.

Reactions: 2 people
You could be 20th and have a better class if you get a few game changers. Just on the d line alone we've got those. It's on like donkey kong in the coming seasons.

Reactions: 1 person
When you are recruiting on this level (top 10) it really is a matter of coach's evaluation, and minimizing busts, when it comes to whether you are going to compete for the SEC.

Example, Jason Carr was a 4-star D-line prospect who everyone was pumped to get. He washed out year one because he didn't want to play O-line. Butch has more than tempered that with 2-star and 3-star recruits who have played beyond expectations.

Edit: I just realize I said 'minimizing busts' in this post. My apologies to the forum's avatars out there.

Player development is very important. Getting the most out of a guy once he's here. Recruiting is just half of the equation, still gotta coach'em up.

If you look at Rivals Tennessee page it shows 23 names 10-4 stars and 1-5 star, but the team rankings only shows 22 commits 9-4 stars and 1- 5 star. Who is missing from the team rankings? :confused:

If you look at Rivals Tennessee page it shows 23 names 10-4 stars and 1-5 star, but the team rankings only shows 22 commits 9-4 stars and 1- 5 star. Who is missing from the team rankings? :confused:

i'll give you a hint… he just committed

VN Store

Back