Watkinsville, GA (Oconee County)
Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 207 | 40: 4.59

Jaleel Laguins - Hudl

★★★★☆ Jaleel Laguins 247

★★★☆☆ Rivals

★★★☆☆ Football Recruiting - Jaleel Laguins - Player Profiles - ESPN

Offered 9/22/14

Last edited:
Laguins visited for the UF game this season.

"I think I got offered two weeks before the game and I was up there when they did the checkerboard thing and I thought that was pretty cool," Laguins said. "Every school has their own traditions, but they had some chants, the Vol Walk, and that was probably, by far, the best walk I had been to. It's pretty intense. There are some true fans down there at Rocky Top."

Defensive coordinator John Jancek has taken the lead in Laguins' recruitment and the two have gotten to know each other well over the last few months.

"We talk every Wednesday. He makes me call him," Laguins explained. "There have been some weeks where I've ben busy and he's been getting ready for the bowl game, but other than that we've talked every week. I've talked to other coaches there, too. But, you can tell they are really trying to build a family up there and see you as more than just a player."

Laguins, who has said Tennessee and Georgia are the two schools he stays in contact with the most, like the love he feels in Knoxville and said that will be a key factor in his decision making process down the road.

"I feel the love there. I've always said I want to go to a school where I feel loved and I feel welcomed and it feels like home so if anything goes bad I don't feel like I have to run home I feel like I can just stay there and talk to my coach or my teammates," Laguins said.

-VQ

"(Butch Jones) said, 'This is more than a family thing,' and I was thinking, 'I've heard that a few times.' Then, I actually saw how he talked and that everything they went through was about family," Laguins explained. "Like coach (John) Jancek, he messaged me, 'Hope you had fun today and make it home safely.' Then, the next morning he checked up on me again and made sure I made it home. It's like they actually care about you more than just a player.

"That's extremely important because I want to go to a school where I feel like it's home. I don't want to go to a school and be miserable for four years and not like my position coach. I don't want that to happen. I want to go to school, get a good education and feel like I'm at home. "

"It was really fun, actually," Laguins said. "When you usually meet with a head coach like coach Jones you're usually only in there for about five minutes at the most because they are trying to see as many recruits as they can in a short period of time. But, in a junior day you can sit there and talk to them for 30 minutes because you have more time. You can sit there and get to know them and talking to coach Jones was good."

"When I first got offered by Tennessee I didn't think too much of it," Laguins explained, "and then I went on my first visit and I thought it was a pretty nice school and then actually after sitting down with the coaches and talking about my education and how I could graduate early from there and then get my masters there. At Tennessee, if you work hard and stay out of trouble, you end up set for life at Tennessee."

-VQ

Reactions: 8 people
That's one of the more thoughtful answers I've seen to a post-visit writeup like that. Usually they're just full of the stock "It was good, nice campus, nice facilities" kind of stuff. So props to this dude for that.

Reactions: 2 people
That's one of the more thoughtful answers I've seen to a post-visit writeup like that. Usually they're just full of the stock "It was good, nice campus, nice facilities" kind of stuff. So props to this dude for that.

Good insight on Junior day and the importance in case other recruits dont think much of it. Sounds like this kid really enjoyed it.

Article about being at GA's junior day.

https://uga.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1746990

Butch Jones and the Tennessee Volunteers clearly made an impact during Laguins's stop in Knoxville, as they delivered in a big way with their recent facelift.

"The vibe at Tennessee was amazing," Laguins said. "I went to the Tennessee/Florida game, which was in early October. They told me they were doing some building, construction, and remodeling. We walked in there about two weeks ago, and I was like 'Wow.' It looks like a totally new building in there. They've really improved their main entrance and what not. I talked to coaches, like Coach Jones and everybody, and I really enjoyed that."

Reactions: 1 person
Jaleel Laguins Sets Decision Date...
4Star LB will announce his decision on August 19th at his school...

Laguins is the No. 132 overall prospect and he is being recruited by schools in all Power 5 conferences. We will find out on August 19 where he plans to play college football.

The big-time linebacker out of Watkinsville (Ga.) Oconee County does not plan to release a list of finalists or favorites, but he is now set to announce his decision from his high school next month.

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Nebraska, Notre Dame, and Tennessee are just some of the schools that he has offers from and he has visited most of those at lease once.

No exact time has been set, but as that becomes available, Scout will release it.

On why Tennessee is a finalist: “Rocky Top. I don’t know what it is, but I love the mountains up there. Being up there, it just feels nice. The fanbase is amazing.”

VN Store

Back