Revisit of the 2015 Numbers

VAVolsFan2009

With Paulk's departure, I'm assuming the latest 2015 total number moves back to 25. L/V, correct me if I'm wrong. Before today, the number was 24 with one going to Swafford. Now we are back to 25. With us at 22 commits currently, this poses some interesting questions.

Is another RB needed now? Love sure looks like a possibility.

With Tuttle likely committing on Friday, do we concentrate on OL? I still think we need 2 additional OTs in the 2015.

Also we shouldn't rule out the JUCO CB Martin.

Reactions: 1 person
With Paulk's departure, I'm assuming the latest 2015 total number moves back to 25. L/V, correct me if I'm wrong. Before today, the number was 24 with one going to Swafford. Now we are back to 25. With us at 22 commits currently, this poses some interesting questions.

Is another RB needed now? Love sure looks like a possibility.

With Tuttle likely committing on Friday, do we concentrate on OL? I still think we need 2 additional OTs in the 2015.

Also we shouldn't rule out the JUCO CB Martin.

I don't think Paulk's dismissal as a member of the team has any effect on what the total number of commits we can sign for 2015 will be. It will only potentially change our priorities for which positions we recruit, in other words, we might bring in another RB now where we wouldn't have before Paulk's dismissal.

I don't think Paulk's dismissal as a member of the team has any effect on what the total number of commits we can sign for 2015 will be. It will only potentially change our priorities for which positions we recruit, in other words, we might bring in another RB now where we wouldn't have before Paulk's dismissal.

It does since the only number we're up against is the 85. If we have only 60 returners, we can add 25 to the team.

It does since the only number we're up against is the 85. If we have only 60 returners, we can add 25 to the team.

Current scholarship roster shows 81. Take 1 away for Paulk being dismissed and you're at 80. Then take away the 12 SRs leaving after this season and you're at 68.

68 + 17 gets you to 85. Spots 18, 19, 20, and up to 24 require another current Vol who is not a SR leaving the program.

Current scholarship roster shows 81. Take 1 away for Paulk being dismissed and you're at 80. Then take away the 12 SRs leaving after this season and you're at 68.

68 + 17 gets you to 85. Spots 18, 19, 20, and up to 24 require another current Vol who is not a SR leaving the program.

Correct. Maybe I worded it odd, but we're not disagreeing here.

No RB necessary. As long as Kamara and Reid stay committed, we are just fine. We have Scott and Hurd for at least 2 years after this, Kamara would be the same. Young RB's can make big impacts. Need more help next cycle, but the 2 we have currently is plenty.

Need OL and DL help. would focus there and maybe take another secondary guy.

Reactions: 1 person
No RB necessary. As long as Kamara and Reid stay committed, we are just fine. We have Scott and Hurd for at least 2 years after this, Kamara would be the same. Young RB's can make big impacts. Need more help next cycle, but the 2 we have currently is plenty.

Need OL and DL help. would focus there and maybe take another secondary guy.

Butch Jones disagrees with you.

We would absoultely take Frasier and Bryce Love if they wanted to commit right now.

Heard Swain and Callahan discuss this last week. For example, if 5 more players were dismissed from the team, we would not then be able to sign 30 for 2015. I think the SEC rule in place is stupid, but Callahan confirmed this. Tifwiw.

Last edited:
Heard Swain and Callahan discuss this last week. For example, if 5 more players were dismissed from the team, we would not then be able to sign 30 for 2015. I think the SEC rule in place is stupid, but Callahan confirmed this. Tifwiw.

Ya, but like LV pointed out, we aren't at 60 yet either.

Ya, but like LV pointed out, we aren't at 60 yet either.

Sorry if I'm not making my point clear. The point both Callahan and Swain made very clear is that attrition does not have an impact on the number of players we can sign. If we dismiss another 20 players for whatever reason, our recruiting class is not going to balloon to 45.

the most we can sign this year is 25 regardless. We have no spots to back count like last year.

I don't even know why people worry about numbers after what we did last season. Numbers crunch just means alot of people want to come to your school so you choose your favorite ones

We can't backcount anybody from this class.

I dont think thats what hes talking about. The amount of guys that we can have EE is limited by the amount of scholarship players we have at the end of December. When a kid EEs, he is put on scholarship, and our numbers cant go past 85. Things like kids graduating early, or players leaving lets us have more kids make it on campus in Jan.

I also see people refer to the Swafford scholarship. IIRC, the rule states that if a recruited player walks on and earns a scholarship within 2 years of being in the program, they count toward the class that they wouldve originally joined. So therefore Swafford would count against the 2013 class, which would basically take over Carr's spot.

I dont think thats what hes talking about. The amount of guys that we can have EE is limited by the amount of scholarship players we have at the end of December. When a kid EEs, he is put on scholarship, and our numbers cant go past 85. Things like kids graduating early, or players leaving lets us have more kids make it on campus in Jan.

I also see people refer to the Swafford scholarship. IIRC, the rule states that if a recruited player walks on and earns a scholarship within 2 years of being in the program, they count toward the class that they wouldve originally joined. So therefore Swafford would count against the 2013 class, which would basically take over Carr's spot.

Ive read the rule as it either counts towards the previous class (2014) or this years class 2015. I believe we can usually choose (if within 25/85 parameters for both). However, since we max filled for 2014 we have no choice but to count Swafford to 2015's class

Last edited:
I believe I read the rule as it either counts towards the previous class (2014) or this years class 2015. I believe we can usually choose (if within 25/85 parameters for both). However, since we max filled for 2014 we have no choice but to count Swafford to 2015's class

Even if that's the case, Swafford is already on scholarship and its only 2014, so that could count toward the previous class. Aka 2013

VN Store

Back