PassedOutAwake

R.I.P RichRollin
RGROVES150.JPG

Nashville, TN (Pearl Cohn)
Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 175

Rontavius Groves
Rontavius Groves - Yahoo! Sports
Rontavius Groves - Hudl

Tennessee offered. Barton Simmons and someone else already Crystal Balled him to UT

Reactions: 1 person
Only a 3*. Maybe take him if he gets a bump to a 4*, because that means he will play better, but if he doesn't then don't take him.

- Nationdom

Saw this kid play this past Friday, he burned his man 3 times for 3 deep balls for 3 TDS and caught another TD on a Zig on fourth down late in a Shootout against MBA. Kid is legit. Jus needs to be on the field, doesn't matter where.

Last edited:
Looks like there is a lot of good instate talent at DB next year. Williams, Vaughn, and Groves. Then Bituli, Hart, and Angel (maybe) at LB.

Saw this kid play this past Friday, he burned his man 3 times for 3 deep balls for 3 TDS and caught another TD on a Zig on fourth down late in a Shootout against MBA. Kid is a legit. Jus needs to be on the field, doesn't matter where.

In your opinion, will he be a WR or CB in college?

Has legit skills as a WR. Made some tough catches on the sideline, a nice sliding catch. But DB is more realistic so I'd have to go with that. But the move to WR would be no surpise

:hi: Thanks, hope we pull him. Would be a nice pickup.

I really hope we land Vaughn. I'm friends with his father this kid is a beast. He has size vision and speed. Staff offered him Saturday. He is by far the best player on that Pearl team. Possibly the best in the state. The staff has a lot of ground to make up with him.

I really hope we land Vaughn. I'm friends with his father this kid is a beast. He has size vision and speed. Staff offered him Saturday. He is by far the best player on that Pearl team. Possibly the best in the state. The staff has a lot of ground to make up with him.

KeShawn Vaughn had easily his worst game of th season this past Friday.....29 carries for 210 and 2 tds 😳😳😳

On the same day that Butch Jones extended an offer to Nashville (Tenn.) Pearl-Cohn running back Ke'Shawn Vaughn, the Volunteers sent one out to his junior teammate as well. Three-star DB/WR Rontavius Groves landed an offer from Tennessee on Saturday afternoon and it was a big one for the 5-11, 175-pounder.

"I was super excited," Groves said of his reaction to the news. "I couldn't stop smiling. I love UT. I love everything about UT. I love the atmosphere and all that."

Groves has already visited Tennessee once this fall for its game against Utah State. The two-way standout hopes to return for games against Alabama and Florida.

The offer came one day after Groves had a 7 catch, 193-yard receiving effort with four touchdowns against Tennessee power Montgomery Bell Academy. It adds to an offer that Groves already had from Kentucky. While the Wildcats are recruiting him as a cornerback, he doesn't yet know what side of the ball Tennessee sees him on.

Two other offers that Groves is hoping for include Vanderbilt and USC.

"I grew up rooting for USC but I just like Vandy," he said. "I like the atmosphere over there. I like that they care more about their athletes than just the game. They care off the field, like how they're going to make it through college and life after college."

Asked if Vanderbilt's early struggles concern him, Groves didn't hold back: "It concerns me a lot."

Purdue and Washington State have also exhibited serious interest in the Nashville speedster.

-Barton Simmons

He likes Vanderbilt? That probably means he doesn't have the grades to get in. Joking aside, it sounds like he is ours to lose.

"I love it," Groves said of the offer. "I'm glad that they showed interest in me and they think that I could impact their team."

Groves was recently on campus in Knoxville for the Utah State game, where the Tennessee coaches got a chance to size him up in person. Groves said the game day atmosphere thrilled him.

"I went to the Utah State game and I loved the vibe I was getting," Groves said. "The atmosphere was great and it was cool to be there for a game."

Groves said he didn't get a chance to talk to the Tennessee coaches much, but expects that to change when he returns for another visit to Knoxville on Oct. 4 for the Florida game.

"I didn't really get to spend as much time with the coaches as I wanted," he said. "But I'm going back when they play Florida and now that they've offered we will be able to talk some more."
-Rivals

On the same day that Butch Jones extended an offer to Nashville (Tenn.) Pearl-Cohn running back Ke'Shawn Vaughn, the Volunteers sent one out to his junior teammate as well. Three-star DB/WR Rontavius Groves landed an offer from Tennessee on Saturday afternoon and it was a big one for the 5-11, 175-pounder.

"I was super excited," Groves said of his reaction to the news. "I couldn't stop smiling. I love UT. I love everything about UT. I love the atmosphere and all that."

Groves has already visited Tennessee once this fall for its game against Utah State. The two-way standout hopes to return for games against Alabama and Florida.

The offer came one day after Groves had a 7 catch, 193-yard receiving effort with four touchdowns against Tennessee power Montgomery Bell Academy. It adds to an offer that Groves already had from Kentucky. While the Wildcats are recruiting him as a cornerback, he doesn't yet know what side of the ball Tennessee sees him on.

Two other offers that Groves is hoping for include Vanderbilt and USC.

"I grew up rooting for USC but I just like Vandy," he said. "I like the atmosphere over there. I like that they care more about their athletes than just the game. They care off the field, like how they're going to make it through college and life after college."

Asked if Vanderbilt's early struggles concern him, Groves didn't hold back: "It concerns me a lot."

Purdue and Washington State have also exhibited serious interest in the Nashville speedster.

-Barton Simmons

He likes the atmosphere at Vandy? Surely he's not talking about gameday atmospheres. You know your program is s*** when Temple has more fans in the stands at your home game.

“vanderbilt is a school i really wanted an offer from and to finally say i have it, i am so excited about it,” said groves. “i have been talking with the vanderbilt coaches for a while now. I am already building a comfortable relationship with them and i like what their program represents. The vandy offer is a big one because academics are a big deal for me and i like the idea of playing for my home town team.”

“i know things are still early with my recruitment so i have a long way to go, but my grades and my progression on the football field is important to me,” he said. “in the end, i want to be at a place i feel real happy being at but also the school will help me grow as a person. I honestly just feel grateful to be considered a football recruit and the opportunities i have received so far, tells me i am doing the right things.”

“the three offers i have from kentucky, tennessee and vandy are three offers i really wanted to achieve when i started realizing my football future as a recruit,” said groves. “i have grown up watching the sec, especially tennessee and vanderbilt. I always told myself i wanted to play in the sec, so to say i have offers from southeastern conference schools, is a major blessing for me and my family.”

“i don’t want to say i have any favorites right now but kentucky, tennessee and vanderbilt are three school i like a lot and plan to keep in the thick of things all the way through. I have visited all three schools this fall so far and loved my visit to all of them. I don’t have any set plans right now for any other visits but i do know i will be back to vanderbilt one more time before the season is over.”

Of his 36 receptions this season, 15 have resulted in touchdowns and he's averaging 24.1 yards per catch.

Edited to add his huge performance last night: Groves caught seven passes for 251 yards, including touchdowns of 36, 41, 58 and 72 yards. He has scholarship offers from Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Purdue.

"He's phenomenal," Brunetti said. "He's a big-time playmaker. He makes big-time plays, and Jimmy is throwing the ball perfect."

Pearl-Cohn scores 79 in quarterfinal win

Last edited:
4star on Rivals now.

Originally, most schools were looking at Groves as a defensive back, but after a junior season that saw him explode offensively, it's clear that he's a special talent with the ball in his hands. While he still has the potential to play on either side of the ball, I think he has the potential to be a game-breaker as a slot receiver/offensive X-factor type.

- Woody Wommack, Rivals

VN Store

Back