JUCO Linemen

Vol8188

revolUTion in the air!
Surely I'm not the only one who would like to see us take about two Juco offensive linemen? Preferably offensive tackles.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

People are upset still because Blair hasn't been the savior of our offensive line. I think it would have been a possibility earlier in the cycle, but we have probably missed out on the guys that could provide the most assistance immediately. It is also pretty apparent that we can't rely on JUCO to help with depth. We need sustained depth. Guys who have been in the system a while, have been through our S&C, our film sessions, etc. We need HS guys that we our coaches can teach, not one and done JUCOs.

Reactions: 1 person
All I know is if you are a Vol fan and aren't concerned about the lack of top OT we are able to land then you are wearing the orange glasses heavily.

Reactions: 2 people
I think we have to be very careful about taking too many JUCO linemen from here on out. Maybe 1 per year on each side, but CBJ very clearly has stated he prefers developing players from their freshman year and especially with a redshirt option. That is the way to build quality depth. Ideally, you want JUCO's to be skill positions such as WR and RB, which are much easier to develop and contribute quickly.

All I know is if you are a Vol fan and aren't concerned about the lack of top OT we are able to land then you are wearing the orange glasses heavily.

VN brother, it seems like you have an axe to grind with our O-line coach. I am concerned about our whole O-line not just OT. WE ARE ADDRESSING THESE NEEDS, AND LIKE EVERY TEAM DOES, WE MISSED ON A RECRUIT TODAY. We had focused on Drew and be it $, peer pressure, or he just plain preferred OM then so be it. But do not blame this O-line coach for our current problems. Blame the real culprits, the dam Dofus Dooley coaching staff that did not recruit worth a dam and went one whole class and did not sign a single, not one single, offensive lineman. CBJ and his staff are having to piece together a line because they were not left with many parts to build one. In four years then it is on CBJ, but not now, not this year and not next year.

Reactions: 3 people
We need at least one OT prospect who can play immediately. After losing Richmond, we no longer have a realistic shot at getting one from the HS ranks. Going the JUCO route makes all the sense in the world at this point.

I don't disagree. We need to recruit the oline better in general.

The JUCO OT ranks look pretty week this year. This is not the year we take a chance on 2 JUCO tacles, IMO.

We need at least one OT prospect who can play immediately. After losing Richmond, we no longer have a realistic shot at getting one from the HS ranks. Going the JUCO route makes all the sense in the world at this point.

I'd take two Juco OTs to be safe, if we can make room. One of them should work out.

I think we have to be very careful about taking too many JUCO linemen from here on out. Maybe 1 per year on each side, but CBJ very clearly has stated he prefers developing players from their freshman year and especially with a redshirt option. That is the way to build quality depth. Ideally, you want JUCO's to be skill positions such as WR and RB, which are much easier to develop and contribute quickly.

I disagree. I see no problem using jucos to build depth. I think with the 85 scholarship limit that most teams should take around five per year.

I haven't been keeping up with JUCO OT this year, anyone got any profiles that we may choose to pursue?

There is nothing wrong with this, BUT if we are going after JUCOs, shouldn't we expend the time and energy on the best?

Bethel is ranked the 4th best OT by 247...composite has him lower. He is ranked the top JUCO 3 star OT by 247.

I know we missed on Richmond and people are down and out, but I've been pleased with our OL recruiting. We return all but one opening day starter next year and have seen really good things out of guys like Robertson despite him just recently getting moved. We have our future RT in Thomas and I truly believe that next year with Kendrick and Blair getting another year in the system we will have a serviceable LT to go along with a very experienced OL.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, no to a JUCO, and if we do take 1 or 2, we are in more trouble than we think along the OL.

I say we go after Paris Palmer. He's the top juco OT and committed to usce..

I figure that after we wax that azz again this year, we could give him something to think about.

I say we go after Paris Palmer. He's the top juco OT and committed to usce..

I figure that after we wax that azz again this year, we could give him something to think about.

I would love to see this. I think we could get his attention.

sux loosing the #1 player to ol piss,,,,we better find someone to play Oline, weak link right now,,,we'll get dominated in SEC play right now.

I know we missed on Richmond and people are down and out, but I've been pleased with our OL recruiting. We return all but one opening day starter next year and have seen really good things out of guys like Robertson despite him just recently getting moved. We have our future RT in Thomas and I truly believe that next year with Kendrick and Blair getting another year in the system we will have a serviceable LT to go along with a very experienced OL.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, no to a JUCO, and if we do take 1 or 2, we are in more trouble than we think along the OL.

I think we're in huge trouble with our Oline,,,,seen any massive holes opening up in the 1st 2 games, sux no Richmond

I say we don't give up on Richmond! These guys have been known to switch sides.

Also we get Charles Mosley off injury next season. 370 will go down to 320 and then build up with muscles. He will be a stud. Year two for Coleman Thomas will be exciting.

Mosley, Robertson, Thomas, Wiesman, Raulerson maybe even Sawyers if we get more 5 star DTs in the pipeline...paired with veterans Kerbyson, Crowder, Jackson and Blair (SR next year). Kendrick and Sanders are young and still have major growth potential too.

But yeah we need depth and we will find one or two more good prospects before signing day. I mean a lot of kids are under the radar until their Senior season which just started a few weeks ago.

VN brother, it seems like you have an axe to grind with our O-line coach. I am concerned about our whole O-line not just OT. WE ARE ADDRESSING THESE NEEDS, AND LIKE EVERY TEAM DOES, WE MISSED ON A RECRUIT TODAY. We had focused on Drew and be it $, peer pressure, or he just plain preferred OM then so be it. But do not blame this O-line coach for our current problems. Blame the real culprits, the dam Dofus Dooley coaching staff that did not recruit worth a dam and went one whole class and did not sign a single, not one single, offensive lineman. CBJ and his staff are having to piece together a line because they were not left with many parts to build one. In four years then it is on CBJ, but not now, not this year and not next year.

he didn't say its butches fault, just that we should be concerned with the lack of talent we have. missed on #1 player in the state, that sux!!! no depth, and low level talent(no offense to current players), and thats going to be our downfall this year

VN Store

Back