Kahlil McKenzie ineligible SR season

tennesseeduke

Tennessee commitment Kahlil McKenzie, a five-star senior defensive tackle from Clayton Valley Charter High School in Concord, Calif., has been ruled ineligible for his senior season, according to MaxPreps.com.

The 6-foot-4, 341-pound McKenzie transferred from Concord's De La Salle High School — a private Catholic school — to Clayton Valley earlier this year. According to the MaxPreps report, at the time of McKenzie's transfer, Gil Lemmon, the commissioner of the North Coast Section office of the California Interscholastic Federation, said that students transferring from a private school to any public school — charter or otherwise — still must to meet a number of requirements.

One of those requirements is that the transfer cannot be "athletically motivated." If a transfer is considered athletically motivated, then regardless of whether the player makes a change in residency, a student can be ruled athletically ineligible for up to a school year.

According to the report, McKenzie's family plans to release a statement shortly about the ruling and likely will pursue appeal procedures.

McKenzie, who has been committed to Tennessee since July 10, is ranked by 247Sports as the nation's No. 2 overall prospect and No. 1 defensive tackle in the 2015 class. He's the son of former Vols standout Reggie McKenzie, who's now the general manager for the NFL's Oakland Raiders.

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

I bet the commissioner is a butt hurt USC or UCLA fan that wanted to see this McKenzie stay out west. Not cutting him no slack since McKenzie's ALL VOL! California liberals always have their own personal agendas when making decisions.

Reactions: 14 people
I bet the commissioner is a butt hurt USC or UCLA fan that wanted to see this McKenzie stay out west. Not cutting him no slack since McKenzie's ALL VOL! California liberals always have their own personal agendas when making decisions.

Everything is not always a conspiracy against UT

ESPN had nothing to do with this decision

Reactions: 2 people

Lol. What? Good grief

Reactions: 12 people
It's De La Salle driven...everytime they give a scholarship to an elite athlete and accept a transfer...it's ATHLETICALLY MOTIVATED. Apparently a one way street.

Reactions: 6 people
Butt hurt he didnt choose their school!

That is probably true. He should just home school and play there anyway. California does not have a law granting homeschooled students the right to participate in public school classes and activities; thus, the individual schools and schools districts have the authority to decide whether to allow homeschooler participation.

It's De La Salle driven...everytime they give a scholarship to an elite athlete and accept a transfer...it's ATHLETICALLY MOTIVATED. Apparently a one way street.

McKenzie transferred from Concord's De La Salle High School — a private Catholic school — to Clayton Valley

This seems to indicate he left De La Salle, not transferred to De La Salle.

:ermm:

Dumbest thing I've read so far today. And I browsed Facebook earlier. Not cutting him no slack. My god.

Reactions: 12 people
If he changed residency how can they rule him ineligible!!! How can they determine what was in his or his family's mind when they decided to transfer? that's bull crap. Good luck KM. Can't wait til you get to knoxville

This seems to indicate he left De La Salle, not transferred to De La Salle.

:ermm:

I think that he knows that he is leaving De La Salle. He is just pointing out that every time De La Salle recruits a player and gives them a scholarship that it is athletically motivated. That is no different than Kahlil deciding to change schools. In both instances, both parties are making an athletically motivated decision that is best for them.

I think that he knows that he is leaving De La Salle. He is just pointing out that every time De La Salle recruits a player and gives them a scholarship that it is athletically motivated. That is no different than Kahlil deciding to change schools. In both instances, both parties are making an athletically motivated decision that is best for them.

Thanks...I probably should have waited.

Dumbest thing I've read so far today. And I browsed Facebook earlier. Not cutting him no slack. My god.

If you don't think there are politics in sports you are badly mistaken. McKenzie is a top 10 nationwide recruit that chose to leave the state and play football at Tennessee. Not all the locals there are going to be happy about it. It's not a he chose UT conspiracy theory at all, but had this kid chose an instate school he may have been granted some slack in the eligibility decision by a California commissioner. If that's dumb to you, then so be it, but these types of situations happen more than you think in sports. It's just that most people don't realize the hidden agendas behind certain decisions even in sports related issues. Maybe this isn't the case here, maybe it played a part in it, but either way it does happen. I guess I should have left the liberal remark out of it, and if that offended you, then I apologize for that.

Reactions: 8 people
Not too concerned about this. Kahlil could step on campus and contribute today. Whether he plays his SR year or not doesn't really matter. He's got big-boy football on the horizon.

If he changed residency how can they rule him ineligible!!! How can they determine what was in his or his family's mind when they decided to transfer? that's bull crap. Good luck KM. Can't wait til you get to knoxville

Some High Schools in Colorado require athletes to wait a year before playing...I guess to hinder schools from stacking talent.

VN Store

Back