Recruiting Forum: UNofficial Utath State Pre-Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
The time is nearly upon us... football time in TENNESSEE!

I'll continue to do my annual game week threads if people are interested. Use it as a place to discuss the game specifically.

It would be groovy if the recruiting forum could also use this as the GAME THREAD also, just to keep the "Football Talk" thread from having thousands of "yes!" "No" "TD" type of posts, but that doesn't always happen. :p

Utah State (US)... in previous years, Tennessee fans could have cared less who Utah State was. In fact, for a while, if it wasn't Florida or Bama, it was already considered a win. The times have changed, and fortunately, they are continuing to change, because the previous decade has not been easy on TN fans.

Keys to Victory:

1. Contain Chuckie: US's QB is efficient with the football, completing an impressive 66% of his passes for his career. He has a quick release and is able to use his legs to get yardage when the play breaks down.

The key for Tennessee is how our new defensive line handles US's new O-line. It seems like TN fans have seen our defense lose containment on the QB thousands of times over the last few seasons. If we cannot contain Chuckie Keaton, it will be a very long night.

2. US WR's vs TN DB: It's no secret that Tennessee has better athletes than Utah State. US will be breaking in new WR's, while TN has upgraded across the board at DB.

I don't look for US to beat TN down the field on pure athleticism. The key will be to jam the receivers up at the line, and take away the short game. If all goes well, Keaton will have pressure on him, and we must be careful not to let those drawn out plays where the QB scrambles and receivers break off their routes and just try to get open kill us on 3rd downs.

3. Who are you? Much has been speculated about Worley this summer. At first, he was Joe Montana light... camping with guru's, stronger arm, confidence... then somewhere along the way, the PERCEPTION of him begin to shift back to "Same ole'". The truth is probably somewhere in between, but this will be our first chance to at least have an idea of where he is. Hitting open receivers on short routes would be a welcomed improvement.

As for the gameplan, look for the coaching staff to implement shorter patterns, screens and crosses, to take advantage of our superior athletes, and to take the risk out of the down the field passes. Worley needs his confidence, and the coaches will help him out by getting the ball into the hands of Pearson, Pig and Smith in the short game.

4. Fresh Princes of K-town:
Tennessee's most heralded recruiting class in years is ready to strap it on. All eyes will be on these freshmen, to see the beginnings of who could restore us to CFB relevance.

5. Speed, speed, speed!
By all reports, the Vols are faster... and stronger than they have been in years. This should be noticeable on the field as the team looks to fly to the ball, and Worley should be breaking the huddle faster than ever to keep the defense on their heels.

Final Score Prediction: I think Utah State comes in with a stronger defense then UT fans would expect. The offense will bog down from time to time, leaving that absolute frustrating feeling in the pit of your stomach as US hangs in there. The TN running game is better than average. Keaton gives us fits, and a young defense struggles to keep up, but in the end, Neyland goes home happy... if not satisfied.

TN 34
US 27

Reactions: 11 people
Good stuff. I see you're still fighting the good fight for moving the game thread. Hopefully it will catch on this year.

I'm not completely convinced Keaton will be full speed after his ACL. Physically he should be fine, but so many players take a season to regain their mental edge. It wouldn't surprise me if he looks a step slow and isn't cutting as hard, especially in his first game. I would love to see us make him uncomfortable early with some pressure.

I think our skill positions will be too much for them to handle. They'll get some things going on offense here and there, but won't be able to consistently move the ball.

31-17 UT

Edit: I'm giddy just seeing a pregame thread again.

Reactions: 2 people
Good stuff. I see you're still fighting the good fight for moving the game thread. Hopefully it will catch on this year.

I'm not completely convinced Keaton will be full speed after his ACL. Physically he should be fine, but so many players take a season to regain their mental edge. It wouldn't surprise me if he looks a step slow and isn't cutting as hard, especially in his first game. I would love to see us make him uncomfortable early with some pressure.

I think our skill positions will be too much for them to handle. They'll get some things going on offense here and there, but won't be able to consistently move the ball.

31-17 UT

Robert Griffin for example

31-17 UT

I doubt it will ever happen, lol :eek:lol:

Generally, these threads get about 25 posts and fall off the first page by game day. I'll bump it to try to get people in here, and they all be like

S7zTLMd.gif

Reactions: 9 people
First Lane be like:

thomas-jones-juke-o.gif

Utah State be like:

shocked-and-scared-o.gif

And then Marquez gon Marquez and be like;

tencatch_medium.gif

So Utah State be like:

anchorman-man-punted-baxter-o.gif

Then Hurd come in and be like this to USU's defense:

98d28d248abbf05ed6e9bd2279136f92_large

So Utah state be like:

braveheart-betrayal-o.gif

And I'm gonna be like:

Butch.gif

48-17 vols

Reactions: 38 people
Roolin in with a 6th grader from CA, Sunday. He has worked with Carr an Kessler from Bakersfield. He has been an all area player every year. We will be flyin in Thursday, hope Neyland is rocking. We had a blast at fresno st, but he has not seen SEC country. We will be lower level, row 14. GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 2 people
38-3 at the half. Butch pulls Worley after one series in the third and gives Peterman one series with the 1st team O. 48 - 10 final.

Reactions: 1 person
There is nothing to gloat about. USU is a better team than us assuming CK16 is a full go. We have the home field advantage, which is huge, but anybody expecting an automatic-W will be in for a surprise. Fact: USU will have the best player on the field at all times. OLB Kyler Fackrell is a freak, even by SEC measure. CK16 is a Heisman contender and this is his chance to make a statement. They are well coached and their defense is formidable. What % of our team will be making their debut in this game, 40? Including all the true freshman, who, while extremely talented, are facing guys 3-4 years older than them who have developed in the same system their entire time. This team is comparable to the 2013 UCF and NIU teams, neither of which we were better than. This is a formidable opponent and by no means an auto-W, no matter how you spin it. I expect to win, but losing this game is no disappointment and certainly no shame.

Edit: some good links to Chuckie Keeton's game film:
Vs. Utah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDNBFvLCll8
Vs. Toledo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLr5wx6plSM
Vs. Air Force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS1ghemdKe8
Vs. La Tech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbw3WsTvcr4

Well done Nick.
I posted the above not long ago in the Football forum, but that instantly turned into a train wreck...
If this game were played last year I have no doubt we lose it, sadly. This year it's so hard to know what to expect. I imagine we will not be able to score very much - if we are able to score against this team I will immediately upgrade my prediction of maybe 6 wins to probably 8+, because it will mean our newcomers are instant upgrades, which is rare.
Their defense is multiple and extremely well coached. Fackrell vs our OT's is a nightmare. He's either the best or second best edge rusher we'll face all year (Jenkins from UGA being the other). Elite athlete.
I stand by my opinion that USU is of the caliber of last year's UCF or NIU. The question is are we improved or are we in for another long year?

I'll say we win a coin flip game, 19-17 in the last minute.

Everyone, I encourage you to check out the linked game film of Chuckie Keeton. I wish our QB's had his decisiveness and clear grasp of the offense.

Last edited:
Well done Nick.
I posted the above not long ago in the Football forum, but that instantly turned into a train wreck...
If this game were played last year I have no doubt we lose it, sadly. This year it's so hard to know what to expect. I imagine we will not be able to score very much - if we are able to score against this team I will immediately upgrade my prediction of maybe 6 wins to probably 8+, because it will mean our newcomers are instant upgrades, which is rare.
Their defense is multiple and extremely well coached. Fackrell vs our OT's is a nightmare. He's either the best or second best edge rusher we'll face all year (Jenkins from UGA being the other). Elite athlete.
I stand by my opinion that USU is of the caliber of last year's UCF or NIU. The question is are we improved or are we in for another long year?

Everyone, I encourage you to check out the linked game film of Chuckie Keeton. I wish our QB's had his decisiveness and clear grasp of the offense.

Di. . . did you just quote yourself and pat yourself on the back at the same time? Wtf?

Reactions: 3 people
Well done Nick.

Keeton has a quick release and some wheels. However, game film against Utah state (5-7) = meh.

O M G!!!! It's game week!!! I turned 30 today, but IDGAF because it's game week!!!

Vols 37 Wannabe Mormons 10

Reactions: 1 person
Well done Nick.

Both teams are young at many positions, Tennessee wins on superior talent. Doubt USU has played in an atmosphere like they will see in Neyland Stadium. :no:

Last edited:
True or false?

Chuckie Keaton is the best quarterback we will face this season?

True in the sense of talent.

False in results. He won't be 100% and will struggle his first game back! but will still be the most talented QB.

May go against what all the "experts" are saying but IMO our running game is whats gonna decide this one.

250+

VN Store

Back