'17 TN OL/DT Trey Smith (UT commit 12/6/2016)

kamoshika

TREY-SMITH-140709-PRO.JPG

6-4, 270
OT/DT
Jackson, TN
University School Of Jackson
Class of 2017

Trey Smith - Yahoo! Sports

Trey Smith

Trey Smith's (Jackson, TN) High School Football Stats - MaxPreps.com

A trio of Tennessee coaches have taken the lead on Smith’s recruitment — second-year coach Butch Jones, offensive line coach Don Mahoney and defensive line coach Steve Stripling. Thus far, the staff on Rocky Top seems to have cultivated an important level of comfort with Smith.

“It’s just a family atmosphere," the sophomore said. "It’s just like when you go (to Knoxville), it’s like you’re stepping into your own home. I mean, a player can walk into coach Strip’s office and just talk to him like a regular conversation, nothing up-tight about it. I like that about it.”

Though Smith is still in the beginning stages of his development as a player, he says the Vols have expressed a lot of interest in his growing athletic ability up to this point.

“(Tennessee’s staff) said I have great feet. … that’s main thing,” Smith said. “My coach always says a big guy who can move his feet can be a millionaire one day. That’s what I like. I try to put that in my mind as one of my mottos.”

Vols staff in early on Jackson's Smith - Tennessee - Scout

Reactions: 2 people
Yes Sir! Loving this relentless coaching staff. This is exactly what it is going to take to return us to prominence. The drive to own our state for years to come and the ability to go get who we want anywhere in the country. Truly Big Orange Pride!

I got a chance to watch him play last Friday at a high school jamboree. He is a big boy for his age. He definitely needs to develop more, but what sophomore doesn't. His big sister is a manager for the Lady Vols BBall team. IF UT still has an offer for him when he's a senior, there is no question he is a Vol.

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee is the school to beat here...he has been all over the place on visits this year his sister is a former Lady Vol Bball manager

Reactions: 1 person
Per 247:
“I thought it was great just seeing everything Tennessee has to offer,” said Smith, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 80 overall prospect and the No. 5 player from the state of Tennessee in the 2017 class.

“They have great facilities. When you go to Tennessee, they always have some great facilities down there, and the crowd at Neyland (Stadium), it’s always great. I had a great trip.

“Really, right now, I’m not going to say who’s my leader right now or who stacks up. But Tennessee, they’re definitely a program that I’m interested in — just like all my other offers. But Tennessee is a program I’m definitely interested in.”.
I really noticed the fan base,” he said. “They really take Tennessee football seriously. I know before the game I was noticing (Tennessee signee) Drew Richmond — people who were enrolling (this summer) and stuff like that — they’re walking through the crowd and people were screaming people’s names.

“It was cool seeing NFL players like Ja’Wuan James because he plays my position, so that’s a guy you can look up to, definitely. And I was sitting next to the entrance to the tunnel, and there’s a huge uproar, and Peyton Manning starts walking, like, a couple feet away in front of me. That was definitely really cool.”

“They’re the state team, basically,” he said. “And the second point is they’re a young team, and I see a lot of opportunity and I see them progressing to be a major program in the future. It seems that things are really going right in Knoxville right now.”

Reactions: 5 people
Really want this kid. I was watching his QB Easton Underwood's film a few months ago and this kid stood out to me like a sore thumb (in a good way). I could tell Smith was a legit D1 prospect, but I was shocked he was a sophomore when I looked him up. Hope he's a priority. He'll be a 4-star kid before all is said and done.

Really want this kid. I was watching his QB Easton Underwood's film a few months ago and this kid stood out to me like a sore thumb (in a good way). I could tell Smith was a legit D1 prospect, but I was shocked he was a sophomore when I looked him up. Hope he's a priority. He'll be a 4-star kid before all is said and done.

He's already ranked a top 100 kid

@TheOpening: Congrats to the 99th invite to #TheOpening Finals, University School of Jackson (TN) 2017 OL Trey Smith. #GOTOPEN

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 6 people
Wow. As a sophomore that's pretty impressive

4 other sophomores have already received invites to the opening as well (including 2 other OL). With a couple of big names still left, there could be as many as 10 sophomores at this year's opening.

2017 is looking like a special year in terms of talent nationwide.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I was told that he's been working with former NFL lineman Artis Hicks. Would love to get an early commit from this one.

New 247 article up. Nothing real juicy other than this....

“....I’d like to go to a school that has Nike gear.”

Sha-bang.

247:
“they’re a school i’m interested in,” smith said. “every time i talk to coach strip’, it’s like something new or something big is going on at tennessee. I mean, we have a pretty good relationship.

“tennessee was the second school to offer me, and that was last year, last summer, so we definitely have a very strong relationship out of a lot of schools because of that timeframe that we’ve had to work together.”

the vols unveiled their new nike uniforms wednesday, and smith admitted he was impressed by his first look at their new gear.

“i like them,” he said. “my favorite (uniform) is the smokey grays, with the mountains (on the helmets). There was a close-up on the cleats, and i was like, ‘wow, those are nice’ — like, the shoestrings had the little bright-orange hexagon kind of deal, and those laces. I was like, ‘wow, that’s real nice.’

“i’m an offensive lineman. I’m not a flashy guy. I get dirt all over my gear. Gear doesn’t make you play better. My school is russell, so we don’t really get much good gear. But, i mean, nike’s definitely one of my favorite brands of sportswear.

“i mean, that’s pretty cool. I’d like to go to a school that has nike gear.”

while he has yet to identify any favorites among the 15 teams pursuing him, and he said he doesn’t plan to decide on a college until his senior year, he admitted he’s “sort of picking and choosing a little bit” which schools he visits.

Smith said he’s planning to attend games at several schools this season, including tennessee, alabama, ole miss, arkansas and “possibly” clemson.

The 17 class has the chance to be as good as the 15 class, we need to get a big name to commit so he can recruit like K-MAC did, K-MAC sealed the deal on Richmond, we dont have that high profile recruit this year to help like we did in 14 and 15 class, we got to follow the 16 class with a top 5 class in 17 to show that we are getting to the top to stay awhile.:lolabove:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back