Wide Receiver
Towson, MD (Calvert Hall College)
Ht: 6'5''
Wt: 210
40: 4.70

Lawrence Cager

Lawrence Cager - Yahoo! Sports

Lawrence Cager - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page

Lawrence Cager - Hudl

6'5" 200 lb receiver from M.D. in '15 class. Visited for OCD2, top 4 of Bama, Ohio St, UT, and Michigan(no order). Grew up OSU fan.

“Tennessee was great. I really loved the campus and coach Butch [Jones],” said Cager. “He [Jones] is a very down to Earth guy. He told me I can call him any time `about anything, whenever I need to…or even if I just want to talk.

Cager added: “Tennessee is the real wide receiver University, and they put out great wide outs every year so that is definitely in the back of my mind.”*

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page

Holds Alabama, Tennessee, (and about 20 other) offers. Doesn't show an OSU offer per 247.

247 Skills Ratings
Size: 8.00 out of 10
Speed: 7.00 out of 10
Hands: 7.00 out of 10
Ball Skills: 8.00 out of 10
Route Running: 7.00 out of 10
Agility: 7.00 out of 10
Change of Direction: 7.00 out of 10
Yards After Catch: 7.00 out of 10

Last edited:
What constitutes getting a 10 out of 10 score for size? The kid is 6'5" and weighs 200+ pounds, as a WR. Does he need to weigh 230?

Reactions: 2 people
What constitutes getting a 10 out of 10 score for size? The kid is 6'5" and weighs 200+ pounds, as a WR. Does he need to weigh 230?

I'm not sure. Preston Williams is a 9/10. I don't think they are very diligent with updating the skills opinions, which is a shame, because it is a really good, useful summary if they are disciplined with it on the site.

Anyone that posts on 247 and might be able to give some feedback should relay that.

Under head coach Butch Jones Tennessee has recruited big, tall receivers and it looks like that trend will continue as the Vols continue to develop their receiving corps.

Tennessee already has the commitment of 6-foot-3, 186-pound wideout Preston Williams and the Vols may not be finished with adding big receivers as they offered 6-foot-5, 200-pound Maryland wideout Lawrence Cager last week after an impressive camp performance in front of wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni and head coach Butch Jones.

"When I camped there coach 'Z' just said he fell in love with me and he said coach Butch did, too," Cager said. "So, I guess they liked what they saw when I worked out with them so they offered me a scholarship to play football there.

"I went into a meeting with coach Butch and he told me all the things he likes about me. He told me as a big receiver he likes how I get in and out of my breaks and get low and use my hips and even though my 40-time doesn't reflect my speed, I have good getaway speed using my strength and he likes my ability to go up and get it. Then he said what better school for me to come to than Wide Receiver University."

To give him a better understand of Tennessee's past success at wide receiver, Azzanni showed Cager one of VFL Films and Barry Rice's newest videos on 'Wide Receiver U.'

"It was a pretty cool video showing the history of the school and Wide Receiver University and that they are claiming their identity back is a great thing," Cager said. "The amazing part is he said the video isn't finished and I can't wait to see the finished product."

It wasn't Cager's first time on campus as he had visited two summers ago leading into his sophomore year and liked that he was able to see the finished product of the facilities that were being built two years ago, along with new projects in store.

"The facilities are great and then what they are adding on with the football village, it's just something that is going on there that I feel like I could be a part of," Cager said. "Then, with me trying to be a business major and them putting in millions of dollars into their business building (is great). Then, they are moving to Nike next year and I know some people down there like D'Andre Payne. There are just a lot of factors about Tennessee I like."

Cager also was able to get to know current Vol wide receiver Josh Malone during his visit.

"Coach Z took me to see him and he's a great guy," Cager said. "He's very humble and I got to see him work with the quarterbacks and he was about his visit and then his spring game stats were crazy. To me, I think he's going to be the next big thing in college football."

After camping at Tennessee and getting to know the program more, Cager said Tennessee is a realistic option moving forward and are a team that really impressed him.

"They are definitely a realistic option for me," Cager explained. "A couple of my teammates, Rahshaun Smith has an offer and Juantez McRae they are looking at, so they could definitely be an option I could see my teammates going there and Tennessee's facilities and campus are a wow factor for me. I could definitely see them being a top school if I had some top schools right now."

With over 30 offers Cager said he's in no rush and hopes to pick up more. He will attend the Ohio State 'Friday Night Lights' camp on Friday and then will be done with his visits this summer.

On his most recent tour of schools he camped at Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia Tech, with all four schools offering him after his camp performance.

Cager hopes to announce after his football season and admitted he's open to all comers right now.

"I've thought about it, but I want to continue to get all of this buzz from the media and stuff and I have a shot at getting into an All-American game and if I do I'll commit there and if I don't I'll commit towards the end of the season," Cager explained. "I will take most of my official visits and I'll talk with my family about which schools we want to see."
-VolQuest.com

Reactions: 3 people
Is this a backup plan if we don't land Jefferson?...biophyles will probably overANALyze that 4.7 40 time. :glare:

He's got a little wiggle, but he doesn't accelerate off the line like the best in the country. Overall, IMO, he looked pretty dang good. Hopefully he doesn't care about the offer coming this late in the game.

Just FYI re: OHST's FNL event this weekend:

Could Earn An Offer: Theoretically, all prospects working out have a chance to prove they deserve an Ohio State offer, but a few intriguing names to watch include Top247 receiver Lawrence Cager and four-star A.J. Alexander in 2015, and Top100 prospects in center Drake Jackson and receiver Justin Layne in 2016.

Cager has called the Buckeyes a dream school, and the camp circuit has been good to him thus far, as offers have come in from Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia Tech.

- Bucks247

Sound like an OHST offer would end this thing. I'd take that w/ Van to the Hill!

“I love Tennessee,” “I know (Tennessee freshman cornerback) D’Andre Payne, so he showed me around the school. I want to major in business, and they put a lot of money into a new business building. “And then the whole football facility is amazing, and what they’re building toward in the football program is a great thing that I like.”

“I really don’t have, like, a top five, top 10 schools right now,” he said. “It’s just schools that maybe I’m looking into visiting, like Michigan, Tennessee, Alabama, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Kentucky — places like that.” “They were just (saying) that they’re known as ‘Wide Receiver U,’ and I could be a first-round draft pick in the NFL — me, if I commit, along with (Tennessee commitment) Preston (Williams) and (Vols freshman receiver) Josh Malone — and then we could be probably the most dangerous receiving corps in the country,” Cager said. “They’re definitely a school I’ll take a hard look at, because it’s ‘Wide Receiver University,’ and Coach ‘Z’ (Zach Azzanni) is a great wide receivers coach. And it felt like a family environment.”

“(They said) my 40 time doesn’t reflect my in-game speed, because 40s are all about starts, and starts are terrible for me,” said Cager, who claims to have been timed at 4.65 seconds in the 40-yard dash at Tennessee’s camp. “I just use my speed and my big frame and my strong hands and, if I have to, catch the ball over the top of the defender or climb the ladder, or I’ll just sometimes outrun defenders.”

“I want to go to an Ohio State game,” he said. “I want to go to a Michigan game. I’ll most likely go to a Tennessee game, a Virginia Tech game. Those are the games I have on my mind right now. “I plan on taking most of my (official visits). If I commit to (play in) the Army All-American (Bowl), then I’ll probably commit there. If not, then I’ll just commit after the season, probably. I think I’m going to get invited to it.”
-247 Sports

Reactions: 2 people
-247 Sports

So they mention Preston and not Van. Does look like he would only be an option if Van is a suckeye.

IMO Van goes to OSU, I'd rather the staff use the spot for something other than WR. IMO our WR depth is fine.

Richmond and Sapp get us to 24. If Woods is not part of the class then you take Tuttle/Phillips. 1 more spot opens up and you take the other.

Done deal for 2015 IMO.

So they mention Preston and not Van. Does look like he would only be an option if Van is a suckeye.

IMO Van goes to OSU, I'd rather the staff use the spot for something other than WR. IMO our WR depth is fine.

Richmond and Sapp get us to 24. If Woods is not part of the class then you take Tuttle/Phillips. 1 more spot opens up and you take the other.

Done deal for 2015 IMO.

Dude I mean no disrespect but Tuttle and Phillips will be a part if this class and Woods will not. There is no way we will turn them down so you can adjust your mock class accordingly.Thanks.

Reactions: 1 person
Dude I mean no disrespect but Tuttle and Phillips will be a part if this class and Woods will not. There is no way we will turn them down so you can adjust your mock class accordingly.Thanks.

Very well may be the case.

I said IF another spot opens then you take both. Obviously if the staff takes both, a spot has opened up. Like I said.

Phillips could decide to go elsewhere.

Tuttle could decide to go elsewhere.

Woods gets his issues in order, he could be a Vol.

Things happen.

:thumbsup:

WR depth will not be fine for 2016 if North leaves a year early. They absolutely need another WR in this class, maybe 2 before all is said and done.

VN Store

Back