The Pessimist Thread

Weezer

VolNation Dalai Lama , VN Most Beloved Poster
What does it mean that we've accepted the commits of so many lesser rated prospects? Have we struck out with Shy Tuttle? Drew Richmond? Any number of prospects that many on here have been drooling over? When players I haven't heard of start committing to UT(and UT accepts), I get a little alarmed. We're now at 22 commits and not all of our needs are addressed. There's still a long way to go til NSD, but have we painted ourselves into a corner? I'm not a fan of taking a young man's commit with the idea of possibly chasing him off if bigger fish come along. Why tell some of these lesser rated prospects they have a spot when those big fish are still out there? Do the coaches know we aren't going to get these bigger fish? It's worrisome IMO.

And before I set off an uproar with those that will ultimately bash me as being negative, read the thread title. You don't have to respond to every thread on VN and there is an ignore function. I'm just curious if there are others who share my concern.

Reactions: 12 people
What does it mean that we've accepted the commits of so many lesser rated prospects? Have we struck out with Shy Tuttle? Drew Richmond? Any number of prospects that many on here have been drooling over? When players I haven't heard of start committing to UT(and UT accepts), I get a little alarmed. We're now at 22 commits and not all of our needs are addressed. There's still a long way to go til NSD, but have we painted ourselves into a corner? I'm not a fan of taking a young man's commit with the idea of possibly chasing him off if bigger fish come along. Why tell some of these lesser rated prospects they have a spot when those big fish are still out there? Do the coaches know we aren't going to get these bigger fish? It's worrisome IMO.

And before I set off an uproar with those that will ultimately bash me as being negative, read the thread title. You don't have to respond to every thread on VN and there is an ignore function. I'm just curious if there are others who share my concern.

How do commitments from a defensive end and DB have anything to do with the commitments of a DT and OT?

Reactions: 14 people
Maybe these guys are big fish? I mean no one in this class has even played their senior season yet. The recruiting services are mainly going off camp performances to rate these guys.

Reactions: 4 people
LookAtThis.gif

Reactions: 10 people

Same thing it meant last year - not much at this point.

Powell
Lee
Moseley
Dews

Only Moseley made his way on campus and we also parted ways with Booth.

Reactions: 6 people
Attrition...some will leave by their own choice

Feel free to browse "The Numbers" thread

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Just a hunch, but I think at least 4-5 of our current commits won't be part of the class.

Last year we lost Booth, Mouhon, Thomas, Lambert, and Brown.

I expect we will lose at least that many this year, if not more.

Reactions: 5 people
It's always a concern that we are taking guys too soon, especially if u are a guy that just looks at stars, (like so many like to do) but when it all comes down to it, that's why we have a coaching staff! Oh! By the way! They been recruiting pretty good and I will leave my faith with them for now.

Reactions: 6 people
Just a hunch, but I think at least 4-5 of our current commits won't be part of the class.

Last year we lost Booth, Mouhon, Thomas, Lambert, and Brown.

I expect we will lose at least that many this year, if not more.

Ahhhh, watch out you have summoned LV with talk like that. A commitment is more binding than an executive order of the President.

Reactions: 1 person
It means we are taking a full class of 25... maybe more. Also, the commit list will look a lot different in January. Its July, why are we worrying about numbers? We essentially have no idea what the staff is going to do. Did I foresee them putting a punter on scholarship? No. A Long Snapper? No. And I honestly did not expect a couple more of the guys to be takes.

IMO, these are guys who are takes whenever they choose to be a Vol.

Drew Richmond
Matthew Burrell
Kyle Phillips
Shy Tuttle
DJ Jones
Quarte Sapp
Montavious Atkinson
Rico McGraw
Van Jefferson

There is probably more guys. Just the main ones off the top of my head.

The coaching stuff knows tremendously more than the information that is provided to any of us. I trust what Butch is doing.

Reactions: 8 people
How do commitments from a defensive end and DB have anything to do with the commitments of a DT and OT?

It's not just today's commits, it's the entire class thus far. We now have 3 spots left. Our needs are more than 3 players. I would love to get the OT, but of more pressing need is another DT and LBs. I'd also love to get another DE, even with the DE that committed today, for depth reasons, but we don't have enough spots.

It means we are taking a full class of 25... maybe more. Also, the commit list will look a lot different in January. Its July, why are we worrying about numbers? We essentially have no idea what the staff is going to do. Did I foresee them putting a punter on scholarship? No. A Long Snapper? No. And I honestly did not expect a couple more of the guys to be takes.

IMO, these are guys who are takes whenever they choose to be a Vol.

Drew Richmond
Matthew Burrell
Kyle Phillips
Shy Tuttle
DJ Jones
Quarte Sapp
Montavious Atkinson
Rico McGraw
Van Jefferson

There is probably more guys. Just the main ones off the top of my head.

Punter and LS are scholarship guys. They are two of the best at their position. If we don't put them on scholarship another SEC team will.

Reactions: 2 people
man some of our fans kill me

Me too. I mean, how dare anyone have a different opinion. We're all supposed to believe everything is fixed with Butch at the helm now without seeing actual results on the field yet. Makes perfect sense. It's what we did with Kiffin, then Dooley, now Butch. Let me put my blinders on and get back in line.

Reactions: 2 people
The coaching stuff knows tremendously more than the information that is provided to any of us. I trust what Butch is doing.

Trust should be earned. The 2014 class is a great class, but it's built around legacies so it's hard to say that's how CBJ will always recruit. I hope it is, but only time will tell. The most important thing is translating this all to the field. He needs to show steps in that direction.

I think you are wrong. According to the user agreement, we are required to respond to every thread on VN.

gZH1pyP-1.gif

VN Store

Back