Jauan Jennings vs. Torrance Gibson at QB

DiderotsGhost

Interesting read on the 247Sports board on how Jennings and Gibson might be rated based solely on playing the QB position.

Jennings + Gibson

Barton Simmons from 247 on Jennings:

Purely as a QB, [Jennings] probably be in the 87 range. Similar rating to a guy like Demry Croft who is committed to Minnesota.

Demry Croft is a 3-star Dual Threat QB according to 247.

Barton S. on Gibson:

Gibson would be maybe an 89 to me purely as a QB. More upside than Jennings. Bigger arm. More athletic. ... I think Gibson's rating right now is reflective of his overall athletic upside. Not sure id have him as high as we do at any one position the more I think about it. ... Also, though Gibson would be rated higher at QB based on upside, I think id take Jauan at QB personally if I'm building a team.

I do think we're getting pretty good value for Jennings. The QB position is one of the toughest to project and it doesn't hurt to have one more option at QB with Jennings. Many SEC schools are recruiting 3-star QBs for their backup slots anyway, so we get a 3-star QB who can also be a 4-star safety. Playing QB provides some great insight into the Safety position, as well.

No opinion personally on Gibson. His work ethic is commendable, which makes me like him, but no clue how he'll fare at QB. I trust Butch Jones & Co to make those evaluations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Jennings has more accuracy and plenty of arm strength. Gibson reminds me of VY, kind of irratic

Jennings loves to prove people wrong. Let's allow him to make it to his first practice of his second year playing QB before we write him off.

There's a HUGE "I TOLD YOU SO" in my future.

Reactions: 8 people
My issue with Jennings at QB is I think he is close to being a 5* Safety, and I could see him getting drafted to the NFL in the early rounds as a Safety in 4 years. He may turn out to be a great QB, but I always think he would of been a better Safety.

Also this is not an endorsement on Gibson (both the anti-Gibson at QB and the pro-Gibson can post until they hands fall off). I am looking purely at Jennings and ignoring the current QB situation.

Edit:

My fake Crystal Ball tells me that neither Gibson or Jennings will be listed as an UT QB come 2016. Gibson probably will not come here, and Jennings will be moved to D.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
My fake Crystal Ball tells me that neither Gibson or Jennings will be listed as an UT QB come 2016. Gibson probably will not come here, and Jennings will be moved to D.

I think that's pretty likely, as well. Though, there are big advantages to having a Hines Ward-type guy who can be shifted around and fill in as needed.

Simmons with the ultimate hedging your bets quote ever... He says he'd rank TG higher because of upside but take Jennings. That way whoever works out he can claim he was right... C'mon man.

Reactions: 5 people
Gibsons athletic ability is there and I.would still take him but Jennings is the future. You never know with TG.

tumblr_mkws36UgVu1ry10fwo1_400.gif

Reactions: 4 people
Jennings loves to prove people wrong. Let's allow him to make it to his first practice of his second year playing QB before we write him off.

And if it doesn't work out you could always just change your screen name. Amirite?

There is a reason why they're both listed as athletes and that's because they're both better at another position other than the QB position. Jennings will be a much better at the safety position rather than QB. Gibson will be better at WR than QB.

UT has one true QB commit and that's in Dormady. Even at that we don't know how good he will be since he hasn't played football in pads at full speed since his sophomore year. Yet, the star gazers will point out that he is 4* and is the #5 Pro style qb in the country. Oh, he also tore it up at the Texas 7on championships....which means nothing to me because that is geared to make QB's and WR's look good.

Yes, Dormady has great height and size with a big arm but that means nothing until I see him play his senior year out.

Reactions: 2 people
Would rather have Jennings than Gibson. Great athlete, high character kid that fits our program better IMO.

I made a thread about Jennings back about a month ago about Jennings being the steal of the class. A lot of people will probably disagree with me on here, but if I had the choice between the two it would be Jennings. From what I have seen on Jennings he looks like he is a diamond in the rough. I just hope we can hold on to him until signing day.

I normally don't like the taste of crow. But in this case, I would gladly eat my honest share.

VN Store

Back