Character issues

Exfix

As always a recruit or two on our board has significant red flags in terms of character, but is highly talented. It seems UT hasn't had a lot of luck with those type of players (D Bonner, etc). Can anyone think of a talented player with known issues who came to UT, straightened up, and had a good/great career? I'm sure there are stories at other schools like Cam Newton, but what about here? I would submit that in general, with the talent Butch and staff are bringing in, they aren't worth the headache.

(Unless necessary, please leave out names of current commits/targets.)

Cant say he straightened up but we kept Haynesworth under enough controll to give us 6 to 8 great plays a game. Got em a 1st round draft pick.

I thought on it for a good couple minutes and I can't think of a single "impact player" we turned around.

Every kid - and every adult has character issues to one degree or another. Peyton Manning mooned a trainer and got UT involved in a lawsuit. Is his "exhibitionism" a character issue? I guess he turned out okay.

If you only choose players who are perfectly behaved, there will be a lot of room in the locker room and the trophy case. CBJ says he puts character high on his evaluation list for prospects. I see no reason to doubt that.

Reactions: 6 people
One bad apple can spoil the lot.

How many players in that car with Janzen Jackson were prone to robbery? One of them probably had an undue amount of influence on the rest.

On the rehabilitated side: Cameron Clear is still with aTm...so maybe he got his kleptomania under control.

Reactions: 2 people
Every kid - and every adult has character issues to one degree or another. Peyton Manning mooned a trainer and got UT involved in a lawsuit. Is his "exhibitionism" a character issue? I guess he turned out okay.

If you only choose players who are perfectly behaved, there will be a lot of room in the locker room and the trophy case. CBJ says he puts character high on his evaluation list for prospects. I see no reason to doubt that.

Well, I was referring to major issues like arrests, getting kicked out of school, etc. but I'll see your "everyone has issues" post and raise you a Tebow. Also, I'm glad we were able to help Manning off the streets and get his life turned around.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, I was referring to major issues like arrests, getting kicked out of school, etc. but I'll see your "everyone has issues" post and raise you a Tebow. Also, I'm glad we were able to help Manning off the streets and get his life turned around.

I believe Manning also got a few parking tickets and seat belt violations as well at UT... I think a family intervention got him pointed in the right direction

Reactions: 2 people
Kidnapping and rape isn't a "mistake." I don't care how old somebody is, that's something a monster does.

Like you know what happened. Get real. He was an accessory, not the rapist. The person raped spoke in his defense in the legal proceedings. That is in the court documents and been reported publicly.

Reactions: 1 person
One bad apple can spoil the lot.

How many players in that car with Janzen Jackson were prone to robbery? One of them probably had an undue amount of influence on the rest.

On the rehabilitated side: Cameron Clear is still with aTm...so maybe he got his kleptomania under control.

Yeah, but at the same time these kids are getting the opportunity of a lifetime. You bring these guys into a very positive situation and it can have profound effects on them. I think there is a balance though, too many bad apples could create the opposite effect.

If you only choose players who are perfectly behaved, there will be a lot of room in the locker room and the trophy case. CBJ says he puts character high on his evaluation list for prospects. I see no reason to doubt that.[/QUOTE

When a kid has a reputation for having character issues, it means they have a history of making very poor decisions. Everyone does not have a history of making poor decisions. In fact... I'd say most of the kids that come through ut don't have major character issues.

Yeah, Manning had charater issues. He got undressed IN THE LOCKER ROOM. Deplorable conduct IMO.

This might just be me, but I think this thread is a bad idea. Basically this gives current commits/targets and their parents a place to find all the bad things that have happened to our program. I think this stuff should just be left alone and maybe just talk about it in passing in other threads rather than everyone have access to it all in one place.

JMO, flame away

This might just be me, but I think this thread is a bad idea. Basically this gives current commits/targets and their parents a place to find all the bad things that have happened to our program. I think this stuff should just be left alone and maybe just talk about it in passing in other threads rather than everyone have access to it all in one place.

JMO, flame away

The things some people think scare recruits away never ceases to amaze me.

JMO, flame away

Didn't intend to make this a list of problem players. 99% of our current and future players stay out of major trouble.

If you only choose players who are perfectly behaved, there will be a lot of room in the locker room and the trophy case. CBJ says he puts character high on his evaluation list for prospects. I see no reason to doubt that.[/QUOTE

When a kid has a reputation for having character issues, it means they have a history of making very poor decisions. Everyone does not have a history of making poor decisions. In fact... I'd say most of the kids that come through ut don't have major character issues.

Exactly my point. Who defines what is major? Lying to a teacher? To parents? To police? Cheating on a science test? Cheating on an SAT? Inappropriate language? Inappropriate contact with a minor? Perceived bullying? Pot smoking? Underage drinking? Underaged alcoholism? Eric Ainge had problems. Travis Henry apparently had problems? They flourished as Vols.

I really think troubled kids can come in if the head coach and other players are all high character guys. Might not always work but if it doesnt wont destroy team.

VN Store

Back