Do Recruiting Services Help or Hurt?

TNHopeful505

LebVol just made an interesting point to me.

"How do we know that a 2* punter is not #2 recruit in the class by the coaches?"

You know, a LOT (90%) of VN's opinions on recruits, and whether or not we "want" them is based on what recruiting services tell us about them.

If you take away the recruiting services, we gain and we lose a lot of things.

Recruiting services in a way set a coach up for failure, or for success in many ways.

For instance, if a coach recruits a bunch of players that happen to be lower rated by a recruiting service, and wins with them, then he seems to be a great "developer of talent."

But if he signs the same guys, but they're rated highly by services, and he achieves the same record, then he's a disappointment.

Hence, by that standard, many times a recruiting service sets the benchmark for a coaches success or failure before the players even step on the field.

Let's face it, most of us want a kid because he's a "4-star" or "5-star" player. We may not have watched a second of film, and even if we do, we don't know what we're looking for. We're just looking at a string of clips that represent the best plays a recruit has against competition that may or may not be stiff. And that recruit may have had a terrible game, and 49 out of 50 plays he wasn't even a factor, but the one play he was is on a tape.

However, many times, the recruiting services are fairly accurate in determining the skill of a player. But they have also proven to "miss" a player. The safety for them is that if they "overrank" a player, then he's a bust, and it's not their fault, and if they "underrank" a player, then he is a surprise, and they can just say he came out of nowhere. Either way, they can just seemingly arbitrarily rank a player and get away with it.

My question to you, VN, is do you think that the sport of College Football is better with recruiting services like Rivals, Scout and 247? Or would it be better without it?

I'm personally beginning to think that the sport would be better without it. Here's why:

1. Perceptions of who a coach is as a recruiter would not be determined until 3-4 years after a kid signs.

2. Recruiting services create pressure on coaching staffs, that they must sign a "top" class by the services standards, else the fanbase be displeased. This would be done away with if recruiting services were done away with.

3. Because of this pressure, coaches are often felt led to compromise standards, and even violate rules, in order to land a player who is highly ranked. Face it, when do you see the rules broken for a 2*? Or even a 3*? Would we be in the mess we are in now if Kiffin wasn't trying so hard to land "highly ranked" players?

4. Fans are often times turned towards or against a player simply because of their "ratings." I think Cody Blanc and Devrin Young were two examples of that. Kids took beatings on VN, that I doubt they would have received if they were 4* players. Likewise, other players like Chris Donald or Kenny O'Neal are heralded busts, because their ratings that were assigned to them did not match their transition to college. However, nobody would have been surprised had they been 2* players.

5. Fans develop a opinion on a player based on ratings, highlight reels and camps like the Opening, instead of focusing on whole games, in-person evaluations, and whole season footage. This leads to us thinking that we know better than coaches, and that they aren't making the "right" decisions. For instance, most of us are outraged that Kiffin let Tajh Boyd, Bryce Petty and Cam Newton go NOW, but nobody was then. But how do we know that that wasn't the best decision at the time? How could we know? Do you really think that if Kiffin knew what he was turning away that he would have? (Don't answer that).

What think you, VN? Rivals, Scout, 247...good for the college game? Definitely good for discussion, publicity, perception and hype. But good for the game in general? Or would you rather see them done away with, and force coaches to be better talent evaluators, and force fans to trust them more?

Reactions: 3 people
I personally love the recruiting services. But as far as improving the game, there's no way to completely tell. The coaches being relied on would be a fun aspect. 1000th post by the way, BOOOOOOM!! :peace2: :)

I like the services for the fact they provide a lot of information all centrally located so I can see it quickly. Yes, we all see the *'s and like to see those *'s choose our Vols. The fact is once the coaches take a kids commitment, IMO the *'s are out the window. It does not matter if they are 2* or a 5*. It all comes down to the coaches developing those kids they took.

The problem comes in when fans think that just because one kid has 3*s and another has 4* automatically makes 1 expendable and the other a clear upgrade. It's just not reality IMO. The one thing you see in common with all the fans saying "these are the guys I think will be replaced" are that it's the kids with the lowest rankings. If they are as expendable as some fans think, IMO the staff would not have taken them so early. The fact that most are also instate, makes booting them IMO even less likely.

Lambert, Powell, Lee, Lauderdale, Mouhon, Jackson, and there were a couple others I think. Notice something similar with these kids? All out of state recruits who either de-committed or were asked to "look around". Instate commitments IMO is a different animal.

Reactions: 1 person
Plus, another thought:

If the coaches evaluated players the way they wanted, and they signed a class of guys who were 2*'s and 3*'s, would we not be livid? Even if all of them turned out to be solid contributors, and even stars?

Sure eventually, we would be like "oh,that worked out!" But wouldn't we be upset at first, and even for a year or two, until we could see that they really did know what they're doing?

I mean, the ratings severely skew the fact that coaches can be amazing talent evaluators, and yet can get flamed for decisions that don't agree with the "services."

Reactions: 2 people
Plus, another thought:

If the coaches evaluated players the way they wanted, and they signed a class of guys who were 2*'s and 3*'s, would we not be livid? Even if all of them turned out to be solid contributors, and even stars?

Sure eventually, we would be like "oh,that worked out!" But wouldn't we be upset at first, and even for a year or two, until we could see that they really did know what they're doing?

I mean, the ratings severely skew the fact that coaches can be amazing talent evaluators, and yet can get flamed for decisions that don't agree with the "services."

I would not be. As long as the coaches feel good about the kids they took, I don't care if our "class" ranks last in the SEC. If the coaches can win with the kids they evaluate and sign, that's all that really matters. If they can do it while signing 2-3* kids that the fans scream pass on, more power to them. A Vol is a Vol to me. I don't care what his ranking.

I would not be. As long as the coaches feel good about the kids they took, I don't care if our "class" ranks last in the SEC. If the coaches can win with the kids they evaluate and sign, that's all that really matters. If they can do it while signing 2-3* kids that the fans scream pass on, more power to them. A Vol is a Vol to me. I don't care what his ranking.

Yes, but Leb, my friend, you are not like most of VN. If we all had that attitude, then the recruiting forum wouldn't really exist.

Of course, we SHOULD have that attitude, but it's not the way it is.

Plus, another thought:

I have heard CBJ say they don't give out committable Scolly unless they have seen the player work out in person, they may use the recruiting services to find kids but putting an Eye on them is the best way to really know.

Yes, but Leb, my friend, you are not like most of VN. If we all had that attitude, then the recruiting forum wouldn't really exist.

Of course, we SHOULD have that attitude, but it's not the way it is.

Trust me, it would still exist. Some of us can find something to discuss, even if it's for the 934th time. :)

Even last years class I said I did not care where it ranked. Only reason I was hoping it would be top 10 at least on ESPN was so ESPN would have a setup in Knoxville for NSD. I did feel that was big for CBJ and his staff to have Knoxville front and center to get things off on the right foot with that class.

The problem is how do you know a coach feels good about a lower ranked kid? When the coach on NSD talks about how this kid fills a specific need and is underrated, well, what is he supposed to say? Coaches will always praise their recruits regardless of their star ranking. This is why you really can't judge the value of a class until that class are juniors......but I guess that doesn't sell internet subscriptions and magazines.

The problem is how do you know a coach feels good about a lower ranked kid? When the coach on NSD talks about how this kid fills a specific need and is underrated, well, what is he supposed to say? Coaches will always praise their recruits regardless of their star ranking. This is why you really can't judge the value of a class until that class are juniors......but I guess that doesn't sell internet subscriptions and magazines.

If the coach took the kids commitment, I'd like to believe he did so because he liked what the kid brought to the table. If he took the commitment, it tells me he feels good about it.

Wouldn't you think taking them would mean feeling good about them? I mean, why take a kid you don't feel good about? Not sure I'm following you.

But I do agree that yes, it takes at least 2 years to really see how a class is gonna pan out.

People don't realize that for a lot of these kids, the transition to college life is extremely difficult. Some kids just never pan out. Keeping up with social life, workouts, learning the playbook, community service, and the occasional going to class and schoolwork are highly demanding.

There's just really no way to know. It's why you've gotta be not just a great salesman, but a great talent scout.

The 2nd best that ever happen to recruiting was the internet. Tied for 1st is the whores and money

I think we need a service that ranks guys based on stars but in their position. So if you're the top punter in the nation you should be a 5* punter. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be highly ranked overall since you won't have as big of an impact as a 5* QB.

Also do we give them star rankings based on how good they are or on how much potential they have to be good?

That's another ranking that can be broken down. Current performance: 4* Potential: 5* etc.

Part of me gets annoyed with the services. Mostly because I feel like they exploit highschool kids to sell subscriptions.

As for * ratings and team rankings:

Some coaches like Petrino and Chris Peterson excell in getting great production out of 2-3* players for good seasons and bowl appearances. They even knock off a big boy or two during their season.

But....

The teams that finish in the top 10 of the services rankings year in and year out are the ones that win championships. Yes, there is the occasional exception like Oregon but most of the time it's those that finish in the top each recruiting cycle.

The services give us a good idea of who the real contenders are in most cases.

Recruiting services are only as good as the scouts gathering the information. A lot of good players fall through the cracks, the NFL is full of 'em , especially at the QB position. Guess they do have their place.

Wouldn't you think taking them would mean feeling good about them? I mean, why take a kid you don't feel good about? Not sure I'm following you.

But I do agree that yes, it takes at least 2 years to really see how a class is gonna pan out.

People don't realize that for a lot of these kids, the transition to college life is extremely difficult. Some kids just never pan out. Keeping up with social life, workouts, learning the playbook, community service, and the occasional going to class and schoolwork are highly demanding.

There's just really no way to know. It's why you've gotta be not just a great salesman, but a great talent scout.

If a coach takes a kid early thats ranked low, then I tend to trust the coach's evaluation. If its December and a coach is taking a 2* it tells me he just needs to fill out his class and is taking this recruit because a much higher ranked recruit at the same position told him no thanks. I know, its a lot of speculation on my part, but those are just the logical/illogical conclusions I tend to come to.

My take on recruiting services is to look at it for what it is, business. Its not done as a public service, or out of someone's passion for the sport or their hobby. It is not even done for the benefit of the college coaches. No it is done for money $$$ just like all business is done.
So if your best paying customers or highest volume of customers are from a particular area, would it not be a prudent business decision to cater to those customers the most.
Know that ratings and evaluations are geared to keep viewership and subscriptions up. Why else would they be able to build the drama of signing day where people actually swoon and crash over a #4 class verses a #5? Think about that.
Yes some 5 star and 4 star players are cant miss, its been obvious since they were 13 years old, but they probably make up less than 10% of the signees in a particular year.
Follow the money folks, follow the money.. Who are these recruiting services catering to and why?

Trust me, it would still exist. Some of us can find something to discuss, even if it's for the 934,000th time. :)

Even last years class I said I did not care where it ranked. Only reason I was hoping it would be top 10 at least on ESPN was so ESPN would have a setup in Knoxville for NSD. I did feel that was big for CBJ and his staff to have Knoxville front and center to get things off on the right foot with that class.

Fyp :)

I dont like some aspects of it, but there are some parts that I like. I dont like how some people stargaze extremely hard. If everybody understood the services, everything would be ok. One of the best things about these recruiting services is that they provide multiple camps for these kids to attend, improving their skill and finding out some of the strengths or flaws in their game

There is always going to be some that are underdeveloped or hard to evaluate for various reasons that grow into solid players and even stars. This is what Vanderbilt fans hold onto when they look at most of the guys their staff brings in. What they can't grasp is that only a minuscule fraction of those two stars become SEC caliber players let alone All-Americans. Every one is the next J. Matthews to them.

With one exception, no team with a 4 year aggregate ranking less than #6 has won a national championship in the last decade. Rankings matter, and correlate with wins (Alabama anyone?). This has been covered repeatedly.

As for the services themselves, pluses and minuses but it would appear they aren't going away any time soon. If we're being honest we all pay attention to them.

Last edited:
Services are excellent information resources for recruiting followers.

Their ratings and rankings are far from exact science and will always have some level of bias.

Unless an evaluator has met and spent a little time around the recruit, his eval is based almost entirely on physical abilities, which is only half of the equation.

There is no problem with the services, IMO. The problem, if there is one, is with immaturity in fans who get too caught up in ratings and rankings.

It's just entertainment. Don't take it too seriously. JMO.

Services are excellent information resources for recruiting followers.

Their ratings and rankings are far from exact science and will always have some level of bias.

Unless an evaluator has met and spent a little time around the recruit, his eval is based almost entirely on physical abilities, which is only half of the equation.

There is no problem with the services, IMO. The problem, if there is one, is with immaturity in fans who get too caught up in ratings and rankings.

It's just entertainment. Don't take it too seriously. JMO.

Exactly, to bemoan or boast the fact that school A ranked at # 4 while school B was #7 is , well, stupid.

A lot of people say stars and recruiting services does not matter, go back and look at the last 10 years in recruiting IT DOES MATTER.

VN Store

Back