Cornerback recruiting

volsack7

Obviously Coach Jones is doing a fantastic job of recruiting, with almost all positions filling up with great talent. But the one position that seems to be relatively quiet is cornerback recruiting, and, let's face it, we haven't been particularly strong there lately. Here are our current "impact" guys at corner for 2015:

Sutton
Foreman
Moseley
Evan Berry
Payne
Swafford
Gaulden (maybe at nickel, but probably not on the edge)

So we'll have good players, but I'm not 100% sold on that depth. I know we are after Ordway and Abernathy, but there are questions about Ordway's position and Abernathy is not a lock.

I'm not freaking out by any means, just looking for some updates on recruiting at this position.

Reactions: 2 people
With the dline we are getting, the qb will be on his back in two seconds, therefore CB is not a need.

Reactions: 7 people
Abernathy would be nasty to go along with the defensive class we are putting together.

Reactions: 1 person
What's the deal with Justin Martin? Do we still lead for him and is he a take? He has all the tools to be great corner opposite of Sutton. He seems like a player that could come in and start from day 1

With the dline we are getting, the qb will be on his back in two seconds, therefore CB is not a need.

this

With great D-Line play, you can have an average secondary. The greatest of CB's cant cover a receiver forever, you need pressure on the QB

What's the deal with Justin Martin? Do we still lead for him and is he a take? He has all the tools to be great corner opposite of Sutton. He seems like a player that could come in and start from day 1

I get the feeling something may have changed there. With him not being able to take any more visits till after Dec. 8th now, I'm not sure why he did not commit at camp. IF the staff was going to take him, I can't help but think he would be a Vol today. They did take Bruce at that camp. Did Bruce take Martin's spot?

JMO

Obviously Coach Jones is doing a fantastic job of recruiting, with almost all positions filling up with great talent. But the one position that seems to be relatively quiet is cornerback recruiting, and, let's face it, we haven't been particularly strong there lately. Here are our current "impact" guys at corner for 2015:

Sutton
Foreman
Moseley
Evan Berry
Payne
Swafford
Gaulden (maybe at nickel, but probably not on the edge)

So we'll have good players, but I'm not 100% sold on that depth. I know we are after Ordway and Abernathy, but there are questions about Ordway's position and Abernathy is not a lock.

I'm not freaking out by any means, just looking for some updates on recruiting at this position.

Rest easy. It is a long time til February. Butch will take care of it.

I know We need depth in the secondary but does anyone thing we just sign one more db. I'm thinking ordaway this yr and load up next yr.

This time last year people were starting threads about us having too many WRs and not enough DL.

Just sayin.

Quality starters and depth are a need at every position. You might be right if you are playing football on a video game, but not in real life.

VN Store

Back