Most Important Recruit over the last 10 years....

gardners_51609

Get Heuped Up!
With the impending (hopefully) Khalil McKenzie commitment today, it got me thinking who is the most important recruit we have signed the last 10 years. On paper Khalil McKenzie maybe the most important recruit in any recruiting class the last 10 years.

Jalen Hurd and Khalil McKenzie are recruits you build programs around.

Do you all agree or has there been a better cornerstone we have used or wasted the opportunity to build around?

Inb4 someone says they haven't played a down of football yet. I am just talking about on paper in a recruiting class.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd have to say Eric Berry. He was a crazy athlete and wonderfully person as well. Great to keep the Berry family and Volnation family together.

Reactions: 3 people
I think I'd have to go with CP. If not for CP 2 years ago, there's no way we make 5-7 and we have our first 8 loss season in history.

Reactions: 5 people
Momentum wise?...has to be Jalen Hurd...that commit launched Butch last year.

Reactions: 4 people
Unfortunately the last class with Hurd and Malone.

The last 10 years have been, well, uneventful to say the least. A downward spiral that hopefully hit rock bottom before the '14 class signings of these 2 in state kids who were crucial to turning things around. 2 top level talents, local, who chose to stay, not leave, the state.

Reactions: 1 person
The fact that we can mainly point to one guy, EB, in the last ten years tells you something. We haven't been recruiting and developing well enough.

If you could look into the future I'd say Hurd, Malone, or another one of these young guys.

But as of now you have to go with EB. Nobody else has done what he's done for this university lately.

Mayo is an honorable mention in my eyes.

If we get KM today and it spurs some other players like Sweat and Richmond then he could be the cornerstone. The SEC is a line of scrimmage league and until we have the Haynesworth/Henderson type lines then it will be tough sledding. Last year was about speed and skill. I hope this year is about elite type linemen that will open and close holes for the speed and skill players.

Even though you put the "haven't played a down" disclaimer, it's completely true.

Looking back on previous classes, you will find at least 50% of the signees never rise to the level of their "ranking" and probably around that much never contribute to a large degree to the program. Eric Berry's class is a great example of that.

The facts are, of last year's stud class, including Hurd, TKjr, Malone, Pearson.... amongst others, 1/2 will probably disappoint.

Flames.

Bring dem.

I mean if we're going by hype going into the class, Bryce Brown. He never did anything but people thought he was going to be the best RB in college at the time.

Hurd, Malone, McKenzie, etc have proven nothing at the college level, even though I think they will all be great players.

If we're talking actual impact players in college that lived up to their hype, Eric Berry.

UUuuuuurrrriiiiiiccckkk Berrrrrrraaaaaayyyy.... Urrick Berray.

eric-berry.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
I agree. Despite all of our great recruits, I think KM will be a 3-4 year nightmare for offenses, leader on the team, and cornerstone for this recruiting class and the next few. I think he'll come in and be incredibly special on the field... this individual is what UT football needs right now.

VN Store

Back