ESPN projections for 2014

Mike4Vols

Attack from the water...
ESPN statisticians projected the top 128 teams for 2014. Here's a snippet of the chart that includes only UT and our opponents. The only team missing from the top 128 is UTC.

2014 UT opponents.png

Florida State Seminoles lead 2014 Preseason Football Power Index Ratings - ESPN

If we play to the level ESPN projects and the other teams on our schedule play to their projected level, we'll go 5-7 this year.

I believe/hope we're better than number 51. I don't think Missouri is that good. I'm also skeptical that Florida is the 22nd best team in the nation. Other than that, it looks pretty accurate.

Discuss...

Last edited:
Just glancing at it it just looks like they base it off of last year.

Just glancing at it it just looks like they base it off of last year.

Meh. Not really. Vandy would certainly be ranked higher than us and Missouri was WAY better than the 31st best team in the country.

yeah I guess so especially in Florida's case being 22. I retract.

They have South Carolina and Bama's offenses ranked ahead of Oklahoma's? Uh, ok???

ESPN statisticians projected the top 128 teams for 2014. Here's a snippet of the chart that includes only UT and our opponents. The only team missing from the top 128 is UTC.

View attachment 79254

If we play to the level ESPN projects and the other teams on our schedule play to their projected level, we'll go 5-7 this year.

I believe/hope we're better than number 51. I don't think Missouri is that good. I'm also skeptical that Florida is the 22nd best team in the nation. Other than that, it looks pretty accurate.

Discuss...

If we played in the big 10... We'd be a top 25 team.

Reactions: 6 people

View attachment 79254

Discuss...

ESPN hates us!

:eek:k:

Tennesseeduke

Interesting that ESPN is saying what a difficult game the USU game will be for UT to win, yet we are 25 spots ahead. Seems like they aren't all on the same page

Reactions: 4 people

View attachment 79254

Discuss...

Thanks for posting the chart. I was surprised ESPN rated our defense 38th best in the country. Always fun to look at preseason predictions.

Thanks for posting the chart. I was surprised ESPN rated our defense 38th best in the country. Always fun to look at preseason predictions.

No problem. :hi:

I'm an information junkie. I look for any stats that provide insight into our recruiting and the season. The more data you have, the clearer picture you can paint.

That's why I LOL at the people who incessantly argue about how many kids we can take this cycle. We don't have enough information to paint a clear picture. Kids WILL decommit. The coaches WILL drop some recruits to add others. And a few scholarship players WILL leave the program. There's nothing dirty about the way we do it. It's just business.

VN Store

Back