Measuring sticks in recruiting

Benchwarmer

We are all elated to be back in the realm of top ten recruiting classes. I know I am. We look at who we are getting and likely to get and we think, "It's Great To Be A Tennessee Vol!" And it is.

But I think we are prone to use our recent past as a measuring stick to see how well we are recruiting. Since we are doing better than we were, we feel good. We've moving from a 4-cylinder to an 8-cylinder stable of players, so what's not to like?

But then we look in Nick Saban's stable and see that he has a Bugatti Veyron.

According to 247 sports, Alabama has 11 top 100 commitments, and we have one. I know we will get more, but...I think you see my point.

Alabama is the measuring stick for us, not our recent past.

Very much agree. Just pointing out the folly of using oneself as a measuring stick instead of one's opponents.

I don't really see a problem with looking at where we have been to where we are now. That's an optimist approach. It'll be a minute before we're on the bama level of recruiting and so will most of the NCAA.

Reactions: 2 people
debbie-downer.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
We are all elated to be back in the realm of top ten recruiting classes. I know I am. We look at who we are getting and likely to get and we think, "It's Great To Be A Tennessee Vol!" And it is.

But I think we are prone to use our recent past as a measuring stick to see how well we are recruiting. Since we are doing better than we were, we feel good. We've moving from a 4-cylinder to an 8-cylinder stable of players, so what's not to like?

But then we look in Nick Saban's stable and see that he has a Bugatti Veyron.

According to 247 sports, Alabama has 11 top 100 commitments, and we have one. I know we will get more, but...I think you see my point.

I hate little nick but as long as he is there, its going to be hard on all of the SEC, that don't mean we cant beat them we just got to reel in a top 10 recruiting class each year, and then we will beat them fffffffffffffffffffffffffffer.:lolabove:

Actually, he signed Julio Jones & Trent Richardson in his first class (easily his worst) and then it has been lights out since. Three Rivals five stars in six out the next seven years. Clearly the recruiting standard. 72-9 record at Bama makes him the standard for winning also.

Actually, he signed Julio Jones & Trent Richardson in his first class (easily his worst) and then it has been lights out since. Three Rivals five stars in six out the next seven years. Clearly the recruiting standard. 72-9 record at Bama makes him the standard for winning also.

he coached before Alabama

Coach Jones kinda reminds me of a young Saban.Teams always competitive good recruiting, winning at lesser coaching stops before getting a job where he is on a level playing field (MSU,LSU).Butch is mid 40s bout the same age as little Nickey when he started his rise to prominence.The one trait both seem to have in common is an unquenchable desire to win.That can be seen the way both attack the recruiting trail.

In reality, there's not a whole lot of difference in the #1 ranked class and the #10 ranked class. Once you get beyond 10, though, the real talent starts to drop off. If we have top 10 classses year in year out, we'll be just fine.

Reactions: 1 person

And they have Lame Kiffin so I will take our one. Their program will melt down with him there he is a coaching cancer.

Try to win without talent.

It is the soul reason of what sets the SEC apart of the rest of the schools in the country. The only other true repetitive powerhouse outside of the SEC in recent memory....Pete Carroll's Trojans....and his recruiting classes were exactly like Saban's now. Pete had 2 Heisman winners after Bush's was yanked...Saban has 2.

Last edited:
Coach Jones kinda reminds me of a young Saban.Teams always competitive good recruiting, winning at lesser coaching stops before getting a job where he is on a level playing field (MSU,LSU).Butch is mid 40s bout the same age as little Nickey when he started his rise to prominence.The one trait both seem to have in common is an unquenchable desire to win.That can be seen the way both attack the recruiting trail.

3790128-oh-no-you-didnt.jpg

We need good players to win. Bama needs good players to win. Everybody needs good players to win. I don't understand what you're measuring.

Just win baby!!! At the end of the day that's all that matters...steer clear of the ridiculousness that is the NCAA and keep putting wins in the record book.

VN Store

Back