Doug Matthews On Tennessee Vols 2015 Recruiting Class

Tux

Doug Matthews hosted an interesting show on college football recruiting and focused in on the Vols 2015 recruiting class. Matthews used his background as a coach to create a picture of what takes place in recruiting and used his contact information to discuss the Vols 2015 recruiting class. This was definitely his best dow to date.

I have highlighted what he discussed, which you can listen to by pulling up his podcast.

104.5 The Zone Big Orange Sunday With Doug Matthews 6-29-14 Podcast

College Football Recruiting

By Doug Matthews

Assistant Coaches sell various players who they recruit to the head coach. The more players that they can sell to the head coach, the better they look in the eyes of recruiting services and coaches. They often have dissenting opinions, which can be heated discussion, over the players who they should offer a scholarship to.

Bob Welton is the Director of Player Personnel. He is a former NFL scout. At UT. He is the closest staff member to Butch Jones and all recruiting information flows through him.. Welton and Butch Jones work hand in hand on recruiting and Welton is who Butch Jones turns to for anything recruiting-wise.

All scholarship offers are extended by the head coach-Butch Jones. Commitments can only be accepted by the head coach only-Butch Jones. This protects the assistant coaches who recruit the prospects. Any changes in recruiting direction by a school are made by the head coach and absolves the assistant coach of responsibility.

UT has a large room in the coaching offices, called a “War Room” On the walls of the “War Room” is an area for recruiting, where all prospects that they are recruiting are listed and ranked in order of preference. Each player has a plate with his information on it. That information includes, grade point average, size, speed, character comments, etc… Each recruit is ranked by and listed by position.

UT has what they call a “underclassmen depth chart”. This depth chart does not include upperclassmen, but does include all of the incoming freshmen, rising freshmen and sophomores in the program. The staff uses this big board as a visual aid to get a picture of where their numbers are short. They also have information on the underclassmen in regards to their standing in the program. This allows the staff to see where any future departures could affect the depth at each position and gives the staff a better of idea of where they have or will have needs to recruit to fill. With this aid, Butch Jones and Bob Welton know how many players that they can sign in each class.

UT will sign 24 players in this class. Swafford is the 25th player in this class when it is completed in February. Any extra signees would cause the staff to squeeze an additional player or recruit out of the program. Matthews says that UT will not accept any recruits with questionable character in this class and that the team is not in the position of accepting just any commitment.

Doug Matthews said that we lose on average 3 commitments every year and that this year is likely no different. He said you can usually add another to the list, so we will likely lose 3-4 current commitments from the list of 18 current commitments(6-28-14). Matthews said that the staff knows of the 3 likely prospects who will not be part of the 2015 signing class.

Tennessee’s special team commitments will not be cut loose or gray shirted. They will be part of the 2015 signing class. Doug Pointed out that these special team prospects are elite at their positions and will be an important part of the program for the next 3-4 seasons. That is important to the coaches and the program.

The bottom line is that we have 18 commitments but 3 of those commitments will look elsewhere, so we effectively have 15 commitments with a total of 24 scholarships to give out. This, we have 9 spots open.

Tennessee will hold 5 of those scholarships for specific players. They will hold scholarships for Kyle Phillips, Kahlil McKenzie, Van Jefferson, Drew Richmond, and Rico McGraw. Matthews believes that McKenzie, Phillips, and Jefferson will be Vols, but said we are in a good position to land Richmond and McGraw.

In-state recruiting is important to the Vols because the staff is able to compile a lot more information on in-state players than they are on out of state players. This helps the staff avoid making mistake in taking players with character or playing concerns. Ee took 7 players from Tennessee a year ago and we could take 1-11 in-state players in this 2015 class. Tennessee is putting out 10-12 SEC caliber players every year now and UT is in a position to turn away some players, while taking the best of that bunch.

Doug Matthews also discussed the numbers in regards to our QB and WR positions. Doug said that in the end, UT will only sign 2 WRs in this class. He said that Williams and Jefferson are the likely WRs in this class. UT is in a position to only accept the elite Wrs in the country and does not have to settle for anything less than that. UT will only sign 2 QBs in this class, Jauan Jennings and Quinten Dormady.

According to Matthews, UT will not accept the commitment of Torrance Gibson should he commit. He said that Gibson has some character concerns and that UT has told Jauan Jennings that he will be the only dual threat QB that UT signs in this class and that UT has told both Jennings and Dormady that they will be the only 2 QBs signed in this 2015 recruiting class. Jennings has been told that he will be given at least one full season to learn and prove himself at QB. After then, should he want to move to another position, he could do so.

So, UT has 9 spots left and is holding the 5 scholarships for Philips, McKenzie, Jefferson, McGraw, and Richmond. That leaves 4 spots open. Matthews said that 2 incoming freshmen from our 2014 singing class are being moved to the offensive line and one sophomore defensive lineman is being moved to the offensive line. That eliminates the need to recruit so many additional offensive linemen. The 4 remaining spots are likely to be 2 more linebackers and 2 more cornerbacks. Matthews believes that the linebackers will be Sapp and current Auburn commitment Montaviuus Atkinson and Quarte Sapp. Matthews says that the likely cornerbacks are Cameron Ordway and Justin Martin. Matthews stated that the 2015 recruiting class will likely be finished by the end of the summer.

Reactions: 95 people
Landing Mcgraw and Richmond would make a statement.

Mcgraw has been my favorite player in the state for awhile.

I would deem that a successful class. I'm guessing Woods is one of the guys likely to not be one of the signees. I wonder who the other 2 will be.

Great read Tux.

9835895db3cf521b7e4aea78b2ee2434.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
No mention of Tuttle, Settle or Jones at DT? I know we are still after Jones and Tuttle...and I don't believe that we wouldn't accept a commitment from Gibson...Don't buy that for a sec but a decent read otherwise.

Reactions: 10 people
There's a conspicuous lack of any DTs besides McKenzie in that final 9, especially given moving Mosley, Robertson, and the other kid to OL. No Jones & no Tuttle/Settle if that's correct.

Not bad info but it clashes with previous reports that they usually hold 2-3 "best available" spots (how we would have signed Adoree last year).

Reactions: 2 people
No mention of Tuttle, Settle or Jones at DT? I know we are still after Jones and Tuttle...and I don't believe that we wouldn't accept a commitment from Gibson...Don't buy that for a sec but a decent read otherwise.

I think it is fairly spot on. Nothing is ever guaranteed in recruiting, but there is no way we take 3 players who we tell will get a shot at QB. I also believe what he says about Jennings makes perfect sense. Out of the DT's, I believe our only real shot is with Jones. We will see.

If this class is finished by the end of the summer, then we should probably expect a top 3 recruiting class next year.

Reactions: 3 people
Doug Matthews hosted an interesting show on college football recruiting and focused in on the Vols 2015 recruiting class. Matthews used his background as a coach to create a picture of what takes place in recruiting and used his contact information to discuss the Vols 2015 recruiting class. This was definitely his best dow to date.

I have highlighted what he discussed, which you can listen to by pulling up his podcast.

104.5 The Zone Big Orange Sunday With Doug Matthews 6-29-14 Podcast

Huh...you don't say?

Matthews has been pretty spot on. I'd say there is a lot of truth as to what he's being told for him to put it out to the public like he has. I wanted Gibson too, but if Butch and co. feel that's not what is best for this class then we'll have to roll with it. Only so many spots available for each position. Once they are filled, you move on to the next one.

Reactions: 5 people
2 from the '14 class are moving to OL. Robertson and Moseley I assume. I wonder who the sophomore would be?

There's a conspicuous lack of any DTs besides McKenzie in that final 9, especially given moving Mosley, Robertson, and the other kid to OL. No Jones & no Tuttle/Settle if that's correct.

Not bad info but it clashes with previous reports that they usually hold 2-3 "best available" spots (how we would have signed Adoree last year).

Something has to give with the entire DL because I think we only lose one this year, and if no one leaves or moves, then we will have 15+. My guess is that Barnett, Mixon, Sawyers, and maybe Vickers develop into permanent DT's as long as we have all of these DE's.

Wait until TGs fan club see's this

I'd love to land Gibson, but if this is true and Jennings was told he would be the only duel threat QB and that he would stay at QB for at least a season, so be it. TG had his shot to be one of our commitments. Looking forward to seeing Jennings and Dormady.

Reactions: 6 people
Wow, some really interesting info there if he's correct.

"Matthews said that 2 incoming freshmen from our 2014 signing class are being moved to the offensive line and one sophomore defensive lineman is being moved to the offensive line."

Robertson, Mosley & O'Brien? Would like to see us start grooming either Robertson or O'Brien to back up Crowder. Hard to believe that our staff would be content to sign just 2 OL (Jones & Stewart) in this class unless they project Dylan Jackson to be an OT.

Landing Mcgraw and Richmond would make a statement.

Mcgraw has been my favorite player in the state for awhile.

Isn't McGraw chummy with that fat, disgusting, lowlife loser Byron DeVinner? I heard that he took an unofficial to Alabama with that pig. If so, there is no chance he comes to UT and wouldn't that also be an indicator that McGraw's character isn't so great either? The people you keep company with says a lot about the person you are.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back