Which Recruit Starts the Dominoes?

Cosmo

With Preston Williams already committed, what other recruit could start the biggest domino effect? Torrance Gibson, Kahlil McKenzie, or anyone else?

I would say TG just because I think KM is already on board. Either one could get it going, but I think TG could have the bigger effect.

Reactions: 3 people
With Preston Williams already committed, what other recruit could start the biggest domino effect? Torrance Gibson, Kahlil McKenzie, or anyone else?

I would say TG just because I think KM is already on board. Either one could get it going, but I think TG could have the bigger effect.

If I had to pick 1 recruit to start the run to NSD, it would be Richmond on Sept 9th. McKenzie will be a huge get, but he seems all but a lock. TG claims he won't do anything till around Dec/Jan(we'll be full or near full by then). I'll go with Drew Richmond.

Nothing boosts the national perception of a recruiting class like having a commitment from a 5* QB...Gibson is not a legacy or in-state and has not been expected to pick Tennessee so it would really turn some heads if he did and that could create your domino effect. Having said that, once McKenzie is committed and helping steer players our way, I think you will also see some top defensive names (Settle or Tuttle) follow his lead.

Reactions: 6 people
Nothing boosts the national perception of a recruiting class like having a commitment from a 5* QB...Gibson is not a legacy or in-state and has not been expected to pick Tennessee so it would really turn some heads if he did and that could create your domino effect. Having said that, once McKenzie is committed and helping steer players our way, I think you will also see some top defensive names (Settle or Tuttle) follow his lead.

I agree about TG. I have a feeling McKenzie is already doing some recruiting for us. I may be way off on this, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Reactions: 1 person
This isn't last year. We can't take 30 kids so we don't need a domino effect. We can actually be picky in who we offer

This isn't last year. We can't take 30 kids so we don't need a domino effect. We can actually be picky in who we offer

Totally agree, but I see great athletes wanting to play with great athletes. If one of the elite guys commits, I think that other elite guys will follow (at least ones that are on the fence).

I would love to see a domino effect take place on about 4 - 4* recruits and 5 - 5* guys. That would be quite a snowball that could be pushed down the hill by a commitment from Mckenzie, Richmond, Sweat, Jones, Gibson, or even Tuttle.

McKenzie will create a domino effect on the D-line. I wouldn't be surprise if we get a few big time D-line recruits once he commits.

Like others have said we don't need a domino effect. We can take our time and slowly work on kids that are program changers. Would like to get an elite DT before the season, McKenzie hopefully in a couple of weeks. Hearing the trains wheels slowly getting going.

Chugga
chugga
chugga
chugga

choo
choo

The only problem wih TG is that he says he won't commit until very late in the process. Generally, QB's tend to commit early, and pull others with them. So I will choose KM.

Like others have said we don't need a domino effect. We can take our time and slowly work on kids that are program changers. Would like to get an elite DT before the season, McKenzie hopefully in a couple of weeks. Hearing the trains wheels slowly getting going.

Chugga
chugga
chugga
chugga

choo
choo

McKenzie is freight train himself.

I think we can still get Tim Settle, but I dont know when he plans on committing now.

SO probably, based on this question and the time frame, Kahlil McKenzie

Yeah I agree. The only "domino effect" that could possibly impact this recruiting class is a negative one, and that's if we have a disasterous season. If that happens I'm afraid that recruits will start jumping ship. You can only sell the program on family and early playing time for so long. Eventually recruits need to see that you're making progress. 6-6 and a bowl trip is CRUCIAL IMO for this season, not only for continued positive momentum but for this recruiting class.

Chugga
chugga
chugga
chugga

choo
choo

It's June. Yep.

Any 5 star would get it rolling similar to Hurd last year. So Khalil or TG would IMO start the train.

Yeah I agree. The only "domino effect" that could possibly impact this recruiting class is a negative one, and that's if we have a disasterous season. If that happens I'm afraid that recruits will start jumping ship. You can only sell the program on family and early playing time for so long. Eventually recruits need to see that you're making progress. 6-6 and a bowl trip is CRUCIAL IMO for this season, not only for continued positive momentum but for this recruiting class.

Eventually recruits need to see improvement but not in year 2 of a new regime. I really think this is an overblown narrative on VN. I don't think anyone here could name a time when a team with a consensus top 10 class committed, had multiple players renege in the wake of a bad or disappointing season unless a coaching change was also involved. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THIS THEN NAME ONE - THE YEAR AND THE TEAM. The elite recruits (which is mostly what we are pursuing under Jones) all have big egos and either think they are capable of making a difference and pay attention to the existing makeup of a team (whether or not that team's underclassmen are more heralded than the veterans). I don't think recruits are as impulsive or reactionary as some here want to believe. They aren't being sold on the 2014 team and won't be surprised to see them losing a lot of games once again. If 2015 recruits wanted a guarantee for immediate success they wouldn't be committed to or considering Tennessee in the first place and if bad teams couldn't recruit well then nobody would ever get any better.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back