Butch led the nation in early enrollee signees 3 of the last 4 years

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
As we are all aware, Butch and his staff signed 14 early enrollees in the 2014 recruiting class, which I believe is the most in program history. However, in perusing Lindy’s Southeastern 2014 Preview, I discovered, to my surprise, the following statement: “UT had a nation’s leading 14 players enroll at mid term, the third time in four years that Butch Jones has had the most mid-termers in the country” (p. 174). That quite simply does not happen by random chance and underscores what I believe to be part of Butch’s overall strategy for program development. I regret that I can’t provide a citation, but he stated previously that one of his goals is for his players to graduate in 3 to 3 ½ years. It is my opinion that Butch wants to do everything in his power to coordinate the graduation of as many players as possible in December, both on the high school level and from UT, thus maximizing the number of spots available for early enrollees. If he can bring in 12-15 early enrollees every year, that is a tremendous advantage in terms of accelerating player development, both in the strength and conditioning program, spring practice, enhanced preparation for their freshman season, and academic acclimation to college-level work.

Reactions: 30 people
As we are all aware, Butch and his staff signed 14 early enrollees in the 2014 recruiting class, which I believe is the most in program history. However, in perusing Lindy’s Southeastern 2014 Preview, I discovered, to my surprise, the following statement: “UT had a nation’s leading 14 players enroll at mid term, the third time in four years that Butch Jones has had the most mid-termers in the country” (p. 174). That quite simply does not happen by random chance and underscores what I believe to be part of Butch’s overall strategy for program development. I regret that I can’t provide a citation, but he stated previously that one of his goals is for his players to graduate in 3 to 3 ½ years. It is my opinion that Butch wants to do everything in his power to coordinate the graduation of as many players as possible in December, both on the high school level and from UT, thus maximizing the number of spots available for early enrollees. If he can bring in 12-15 early enrollees every year, that is a tremendous advantage in terms of accelerating player development, both in the strength and conditioning program, spring practice, enhanced preparation for their freshman season, and academic acclimation to college-level work.

GFW said he overheard a couple of the coaches showing Austin Clark around on his recent visit and said they mentioned UT was shooting for 11 EE's for this class. Sooner they can get to campus, bigger impact they can make.

Reactions: 7 people
Good info, thanks. I think it's an excellent strategy to maximize EEs. That extra semester goes such a long way in player development, strength and conditioning, and team chemistry...all of which are invaluable to a program's success. By the time summer rolls around the EEs are already acclimated and more focus can be placed on the summer enrollees. Just another aspect of great coaching and further proof that CBJ does in fact get it. GBO

Reactions: 4 people
Get em the weight room and strap the feed bag on em. I remember someone asking Boots Donnely, longtime coach at MTSU, what could a true freshman do to gain playing time. His answer was very simple, " Get in shape, more than they ever have and much more than they think they need to. If they did this they MIGHT stand a chance to contribute" By getting them in early you enable them to have 12 more weeks of supervised, REAL strength training, and eating correctly at a training table with sports nutritionists monitoring their input and progress

It's like someone took Bruce Willis from the 80s gave him a flat top and told him his next action movie will involve him playing a football coach named Butch Jones. He simply gets it.

It's like someone took Bruce Willis from the 80s gave him a flat top and told him his next action movie will involve him playing a football coach named Butch Jones. He simply gets it.

You mean playing in the band n then stupid ass hart doubling his salary to lose to candy.... To me that's more of a movie script than yours. Lol

Oh wait one is real..

You mean playing in the band n then stupid ass hart doubling his salary to lose to candy.... To me that's more of a movie script than yours. Lol

Oh wait one is real..

As much as it sucks to admit, Vandy had a better coached team last year. Franklin was actually coaching while Butch's precessor watching shower hygiene. Butch paid for that last year. A college football team is the product of recruiting and the last 2-4 years of coaching.

Oh wait one is real..

Or how about beating that top ten team we had no business competing with?

Reactions: 9 people
By getting them in, in January he has effectively gotten them 6-7 months in the s&c program. That is huge! They will gain a heap of strength, muscle, and stamina. These kids will be a year ahead of schedule and that is huge for the program.

For some reason, I remember one of the recruits wanted to be an "EE" but bUTch didn't want him to be an "EE" He wanted to save the "EE" slots for the players he figured would be impact players from day 1, so as to get them ready to play in the 1st game, rather than make a 3rd string LB an "EE" and not have that much impact in the early season games.

A sidebar to this discussion is, should there be an early signing period for football? Would that be an advantage at all? They can't enroll any earlier than January anyway. I'm just not sure it would help or hurt.

Butch Gets It:birgits_giggle:

Does anyone know if enrolling early and playing in a bowl game would count as using a year of eligibility?

VN Store

Back