When is an offer really an offer?

Batman1948

Gonna fix all the leaks in this place
I've lost count of the offers we have out for the remaining 10 or so spots for next year. I think it's somewhere around 200. So, when is an offer really an offer?

I've lost count of the offers we have out for the remaining 10 or so spots for next year. I think it's somewhere around 200. So, when is an offer really an offer?

I think it's actually closer to 300 now.

Best thing a recruit can do is ask CBJ directly, "Would you take my commitment today"?

If the answer is no, your offer is not really an offer at all.

The offer simply means they are offering to recruit you. It does not mean they will accept a commitment. Like any other contract, both parties need to feel comfortable with the final agreement.

That's how it's done by all the big-time programs.

Reactions: 3 people

Best thing a recruit can do is ask CBJ directly, "Would you take my commitment today"?

Here is how Auburn and USCw do it....

lets-make-a-deal2.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

In direct contrast to Alabama's 300 offers, Georgia's 300, USC east 300 offers, Florida's 300 offers, etc. etc. I guess we need to only offer 30 and when only 4 of those commit we just won't field a team.

John Adams on the News Sentinel sports radio show has been ranting like a crazy man about the Sterling Johnson offer from Tennessee and his commitment to Clemson. He contends that Tennessee is totally wrong to make an offer and then tell a player they want to see them in camp. Even though he's been told several times on the show that most other SEC schools do it he acts like Tennessee and Butch are the one and only. It was mentioned that Alabama (his favorite) and LSU (his school) have been doing it for years he ignores that and cries about UT doing it. As he's always been, John Adams is still an idiot. Many schools withdraw offers a day or two before NSD, so what UT done here is much better IMO.

In direct contrast to Alabama's 300 offers, Georgia's 300, USC east 300 offers, Florida's 300 offers, etc. etc. I guess we need to only offer 30 and when only 4 of those commit we just won't field a team.

Of course all schools "offer" a lot more kids than they could ever take. I think I remember the #'s for SEC offers being posted recently. Tennessee was WAY out in front in terms of offers to recruits. No question the staff is doing a great job of getting in on kids and recruiting them. It does appear to me that kids are starting to see that an "offer" very well may be worth nada in reality. As more and more kids "think" the UT coaches will take their commitment and then it does not happen, IMO it looks bad for Tennessee. IMO the staff needs to do a better job of keeping these kids informed of where they stand. Slow playing a kid is fine by me. I'd just prefer the kid to know he is being slow played. Don't make him feel like he is your guy until he tries to commit and then he feels like he was used when you say not yet or not at all. JMO

At least we're not accepting the commits we don't want. Saban accepts their commitment and waits until after signing day to tell them about plan b. Holy $hit I hate that guy!

IMO, we're finally back to where we once were recruiting-wise. We can be a little more selective these days....and that's a good thing.

Of course all schools "offer" a lot more kids than they could ever take. I think I remember the #'s for SEC offers being posted recently. Tennessee was WAY out in front in terms of offers to recruits. No question the staff is doing a great job of getting in on kids and recruiting them. It does appear to me that kids are starting to see that an "offer" very well may be worth nada in reality. As more and more kids "think" the UT coaches will take their commitment and then it does not happen, IMO it looks bad for Tennessee. IMO the staff needs to do a better job of keeping these kids informed of where they stand. Slow playing a kid is fine by me. I'd just prefer the kid to know he is being slow played. Don't make him feel like he is your guy until he tries to commit and then he feels like he was used when you say not yet or not at all. JMO

You know we bid on far more business than we could ever handle. Our salesmen solicit and price far more business than we could take. Conversely some of our customers send out bid packages to hundreds of vendors. It requirers a delicate balance and dance both in business and in recruiting the top players in the country. I couldn't be prouder of the process and the professional manner that Coach Jones and staff employ. They have even gone above and beyond and have helped place players that they determined didn't quite fit into their plans. Next it will be - it's really not nice to recruit over other players. This is just part of the process and to be successful - sometimes if you have two 5 star DT's on the hook - you have to let go of the 4 star DT in your hand. It's a good problem to have.

Reactions: 2 people
You know we bid on far more business than we could ever handle. Our salesmen solicit and price far more business than we could take. Conversely some of our customers send out bid packages to hundreds of vendors. It requirers a delicate balance and dance both in business and in recruiting the top players in the country. I couldn't be prouder of the process and the professional manner that Coach Jones and staff employ. They have even gone above and beyond and have helped place players that they determined didn't quite fit into their plans. Next it will be - it's really not nice to recruit over other players. This is just part of the process and to be successful - sometimes if you have two 5 star DT's on the hook - you have to let go of the 4 star DT in your hand. It's a good problem to have.

The mistake your making is assuming the (2) 5* DTs are automatically better than the 4*. Hopefully our coaches don't look at it the same way.

The mistake your making is assuming the (2) 5* DTs are automatically better than the 4*. Hopefully our coaches don't look at it the same way.

The mistake your are making is that you are assuming that I am assuming. The road is littered with 5 stars that didn't pan out and 3 stars that are playing in the NFL. Unlike some - - I leave it to the coaches to determine who they take and who they don't. They are getting paid well to make these judgement calls. Are they always right - no. Will there always be LV's that will second guess their selections - yes. It's not an exact science - I am just glad we are in on so many quality student athletes.

These are all verbals. Official offers are technically written offers, those cant go out yet. Most of these kids won't be getting written offers. Obviously the ones we accepted a commitment from already will.

Think of it this way. I extend a verbal offer to you, this offer says I would like to recruit you and get to know you. I think you have potential to play here at Tennessee.

Some kids reach that potential, others don't.

when they commit to us. if they commit/sign somewhere else, we didn't want them anyway, so it wasn't a real offer

The mistake your are making is that you are assuming that I am assuming. The road is littered with 5 stars that didn't pan out and 3 stars that are playing in the NFL. Unlike some - - I leave it to the coaches to determine who they take and who they don't. They are getting paid well to make these judgement calls. Are they always right - no. Will there always be LV's that will second guess their selections - yes. It's not an exact science - I am just glad we are in on so many quality student athletes.

And the mistake you have made is using the words "Your are" instead of "You're". There..........I win. XD

/thread

Reactions: 1 person
These are all verbals. Official offers are technically written offers, those cant go out yet. Most of these kids won't be getting written offers. Obviously the ones we accepted a commitment from already will.

Think of it this way. I extend a verbal offer to you, this offer says I would like to recruit you and get to know you. I think you have potential to play here at Tennessee.

Some kids reach that potential, others don't.

Of all the comments, this one makes the most sense. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 person

The mistake you both are making is that you mean you're and not your.

Edit: I see you Volicidal! Let em know!

VN Store

Back