'16 GA DE Chidi Okonya (FORMER UT commit 5/15/15)

BigVol80

Fulmer for Life
4_1325795.jpg

Strong-Side Defensive End
Riverdale, GA (Riverdale)
Ht: 6-5 | Wt: 225

Chidi Okonya - Hudl

★★★★☆ Chidi Okonya - 247

★★★☆☆ Chidi Okonya - Rivals

★★★★☆ Chidi Okonya - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

Vols Offered per 247

Last edited:
Okonya was at UT's Junior Day over the weekend.

"I learned a lot about Tennessee," Okonya said. "I learned about the procedures they go through with their weight training program and how they treat their players. I got to spend time with the coaches and get a good feel for them. It went very well." Okonya referenced, Duke, Stanford and Alabama as other schools that are standing out. He also quickly pointed out that Tennessee is very high on his list thanks to a Tennessee staff that has a no-quit mentality on the trail.

"Coach Strip (defensive line coach Steve Stripling) sat me down and we talked football for a while," Okonya said. "It went well and I got a good feel for what he's like as a person and as a coach. I also spent time with coach (Tommy) Thigpen and coach (Butch) Jones. Just a great time overall with the entire staff."

"The fact that they aren't in the rebuilding process, but they are building to something special," Okonya said. "They are working hard and I like that because I'm a hard worker. Plus I like what they offer off the field with their networking with my career path and what I could do after football is over."

"I feel like I'm a versatile player," Okonya said. "I feel like my length helps me a lot. I need to work on my hand placement and have more violent hands. I'll be working on all that over the spring and summer." "I'm looking for a place where I'm comfortable," Okonya said. "I believe I'm athletic enough to compete for a position. Academics, I feel like I'll be successful wherever I am. So to me, I'm looking for a place that I fit in."

-VQ

Reactions: 5 people
four-star junior defensive end chidi okonya of riverdale (ga.) high school also was impressed by tennessee last weekend during his first visit with the vols, and he said they’re one of several teams standing out to him, along with stanford, miami and ole miss, among others.

The 6-foot-6, 230-pound okonya said the visit impressed him enough to make him want to return to knoxville at some point with his parents.

Okonya, who also attended a junior day at stanford on feb. 28, claims offers from more than two dozen teams, including duke, georgia, lsu, miami, ole miss, stanford, clemson, florida, notre dame and penn state.

He’s ranked the nation’s no. 328 overall prospect and no. 22 strongside defensive end in the 247sports composite.

Reactions: 1 person
Told Chad Simmons in scout interview that he liked his visit a lot and loved our facilities and academics program. Named us in his top 4 with Ole Miss, Duke, and UGA. Simmons said that he had heard we made a big move with his visit. He says he is planning on deciding sometime towards the end of spring to summer.

"Defensive end Chidi Okonya on campus today for the third time in the past two months. This time he's with his mother. I wonder if that one is one to watch today."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 6 people
"Defensive end Chidi Okonya on campus today for the third time in the past two months. This time he's with his mother. I wonder if that one is one to watch today."

- Fortenberry

Third time in two months and this time with mother... yeah, I would say this might be one to watch!!! :rock:

"After talking with him a couple of times recently, I think Tennessee clearly is one of the teams to beat right now. But I think he still wants to check out at least a couple of other places again before he makes a decision, and, as mentioned in the story, he's not planning to end his recruitment until this summer.

I still would consider Duke and Stanford legitimate threats because of his interest in attending an elite academic school, and I definitely wouldn't count out Georgia yet."

-Ryan Callousedhand
(4 hrs ago)

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back