Which is the greatest recruiting class in the history of Tennessee football?

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
For you hardcore recruitnicks, here is a question that, hopefully, will fuel some serious debate: what was the greatest recruiting class in the history of Tennessee’s football program? Obviously, rankings provide comparative context but they cannot account for attrition or developmental failure. Conversely, opinions which heavily emphasize accomplishments such as conference/national championships and major bowl victories may not adequately differentiate the degree to which a specific recruiting class elevated the program above where it had been in the immediate past. In other words, Butch will probably land top 10, perhaps even top 5, classes in both 2014 and 2015. However, the effort expended in landing those classes arguably will have been much greater for Butch, given Tennessee’s recent history, than similar back-to-back classes landed by Fulmer when UT was a perennial power. Furthermore, the 2014 and 2015 classes almost certainly will enjoy far less success initially than, say, the 1995-1996 classes despite the fact that they constitute extraordinary talent upgrades.

I am providing links to two resources which should be helpful in formulating your thoughts: our own LWSVOL has created a complete database for UT’s recruiting classes from 2002-2010 (Tennessee Signing Classes 2002-2010). Another article (Tennessee Football Recruiting: The 10 Greatest Recruiting Classes Since 1980 | Bleacher Report) should provide additional perspective on this matter. I realize that its source, bleacherreport.com, automatically raises a red flag in the minds of many UT fans. If nothing else, however, this data should illustrate just how quickly we forget the recruiting juggernaut that Fulmer once orchestrated. According to this source, Tennessee’s best recruiting classes since 1980, based purely on final Rivals.com rankings, are as follows:

1994: Rivals No. 2 Class. “The 1994 class was revered because it boasted two of the top quarterback prospects in the country. When future NFL Hall of Famer Peyton Manning became the choice early in the 1994 season, the second of that duo, Brandon Stewart, transferred. This class didn't feature a ton of stars. Between Marcus Nash, Terry Fair, Jonathan Brown and, of course, Manning there's plenty of starpower to land this group among the top two ever at Tennessee. The '94 signing class was a part of three bowl wins and an SEC title.”

2000: Rivals No. 2 Class. “With the Vols coming out of the highly successful 1990s, the 29 players in this class were expected to be a huge part of continuing Tennessee's winning tradition. Ultimately, this class never won a conference championship and won just one bowl game. The quarterback signed in this class ended up as one of the Vols most prolific passers, however. Casey Clausen led fellow '00 signees Jason Witten and Mark Jones through one of the more offensively gifted eras in recent UT history.”

2002: Rivals No. 2 Class.

1996: Rivals No. 3 Class. “Shaun Ellis, Darwin Walker, Eric Westmoreland, Raynoch Thompson and Tee Martin were all members of this class. Those names are hallowed in Knoxville as the core group of players that landed Tennessee its first consensus national championship since 1951. . . . This class experienced two bowl wins, two SEC titles and the first-ever BCS National Championship.”

2007: Rivals No. 3 Class. “Thirteen members of this 32-member class either didn't qualify, were released from their scholarships or transferred. When the class signed, there was all sorts of promise. It finished as one of the most disappointing signing classes in program history.”

Two other recruiting classes that deserve special mention because of their productivity are the 1995 and 1997 classes:

1997: Rivals No. 5 Class. “The best way to begin this slide is with a list of names.

•Deon Grant
•Travis Henry
•Jamal Lewis
•Travis Stephens
•Andre Lott
•Cedrick Wilson
•Cosey Coleman
•David Martin

Recognize any or all of those names? One is the all-time leading rusher in Tennessee history (Henry). Another (Grant) is currently in his 12th year in the NFL. Lewis was one of the NFL's leading rushers for nearly half a decade. There is over 70 years of NFL experience from this signing class. All of these players were integral pieces of the Vols' championship run in '98. Members of this class won two SEC titles and one national championship.”

1995: Rivals No. 12 Class. “A class that included such Vols royalty as Chad Clifton, Leonard Little and Peerless Price was the senior class that experienced the Vols national title in 1998. This class was a part of three bowl wins, two SEC titles and, of course, the 1998 BCS title.”

It will be most interesting to read your responses to this question. In conclusion, allow me to also pose the following, and more contemporary question: Although it is woefully premature, given the number of elite defensive line prospects that we are pursuing, could the 2015 class be the greatest haul of defensive linemen and, more importantly, the best assemblage of talent at the coveted defensive tackle position in Tennessee history?

Reactions: 2 people
Great topic...Obviously, our best recruiting was done from '94-'97 and the record reflects that...I would only add that the 1990 class deserves a mention just for the JUCO trio of Dale Carter, Chuck Smith and Chris Mims - those three really saved our butt defensively - and 1988 for Carl Pickens and Chuck Webb (they should not have been redshirted!).

Majors had a class in '77 or '78, that was filled with parade all- Americans. It was a monster class on paper much like the ones that Bama gets now. Most of the guys didn't pan out though. Guess it would depend on how you want to judge it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where the classes ranked, but the UT teams of the late 80s and 90 were also dominant. Check Webb made his debut in '89 (with R Cobb) and is still the single best RB UT has ever had in my opinion.

Great thread you've got going on here Rex. I'm not sure I could pick just one, but any of the run from '94-'97 were just great classes top-to-bottom imo. We've never had a run quite that good imo. Hopefully Butch started a helluva run with the '14 class though that will continue on and surpass any we've ever seen before.

Reactions: 1 person
And as for your question about DT recruiting, if things go as well as I think they might this would imo be the best DL class I've ever seen here...possibly anywhere. We are leading or high up on some absolute monsters.

As jubilant as I would be about the potential assemblage of defensive tackle talent, that prospect would also leave me scratching my head. Literally for decades, recruitment of DTs has been an Achilles heel for UT, partially due to the fact that Tennessee high schools historically have produced relatively few SEC-caliber players at that position. All too frequently, we had to manufacture serviceable tackles out of players whose size and/or skill set were not a natural fit for that position. Now, Butch has us, perhaps, on the verge of establishing a stockpile of players at this critical position and he is not doing so from a position of strength, i.e. status as a currently established elite program. Fulmer achieved the most sustained success in recruitment of that position but he did so at a time when UT was consistently a top 10, if not top 5, program. It truly makes you wonder just how brilliantly orange the future may be if Butch is given the time to fully restock our "war machine."

And as for your question about DT recruiting, if things go as well as I think they might this would imo be the best DL class I've ever seen here...possibly anywhere. We are leading or high up on some absolute monsters.

I've said it before- if we actually landed Mckenzie, Settle, Sweat, and Phillips to go with what we already have commited.. Two words - program changing.

Edited

Last edited:
Another way to approach this question would be to compare recruiting classes on a position-by-position basis. At quarterback, I believe that few knowledgeable observers would argue that the '94 class was preeminent, due to our landing the highly regarded Brandon Stewart and Peyton Manning. Similarly, I doubt if any Tennessee recruiting class surpassed the '97 class's assemblage of talent at the running back position (Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry and Travis Stephens). If next year's crop proves to be as bountiful as early signs indicate, it may provide the richest bounty of defensive line talent in the illustrious history of Tennessee football.

There were no recruiting services way back in 1966, but the class signed that year arguably may still be the most heralded in terms of linebackers. Steve Kiner and Jack Reynolds both went on to achieve All-American status as seniors in 1969.

Last edited:
As jubilant as I would be about the potential assemblage of defensive tackle talent, that prospect would also leave me scratching my head. Literally for decades, recruitment of DTs has been an Achilles heel for UT, partially due to the fact that Tennessee high schools historically have produced relatively few SEC-caliber players at that position. All too frequently, we had to manufacture serviceable tackles out of players whose size and/or skill set were not a natural fit for that position. Now, Butch has us, perhaps, on the verge of establishing a stockpile of players at this critical position and he is not doing so from a position of strength, i.e. status as a currently established elite program. Fulmer achieved the most sustained success in recruitment of that position but he did so at a time when UT was consistently a top 10, if not top 5, program. It truly makes you wonder just how brilliantly orange the future may be if Butch is given the time to fully restock our "war machine."

Agreed. Butch is changing this program in every aspect. It was much needed and so refreshing as a lifelong fan to sit back and watch firsthand as we return to the apex of college football's elite. I truly cannot wait to see just exactly how far and how high Butch Jones leads this program. I've said it many times and I will keep on saying it: I wouldn't trade Butch for ANY other coach in the country. His attention to detail and relentless assault on all things pertaining to Tennessee football is amazing to me. If for some reason he doesn't succeed here I will be absolutely crushed. We couldn't have gotten a better coach, a better man, or a better leader to call Knoxville home. GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Since he has no affiliation with that university up in Ann Arbor, it should be ok to offer this observation, but Butch truly has the tenacity of a wolverine . . . and the heart of a Volunteer.

I wonder how many of those great players would not have been allowed admission under J Cheeks new standards that are higher than NCAA or SEC requirements?

It is all about Jimmy's and Joe's and a game plan that flows....honestly just love the core belief and desire in the last class to make Tennessee elite again. It has been a while where I truly believed we had a group of kids that are this motivated to give their all for Tennessee today! Butch is getting his game pieces so now he has to show he is a Chess Master with the game board.

I hope that you are correct, but, based on history, we will need five five-star signees to get there. The 2007 and 2002 classes, which were ranked 3rd and 2nd, respectively, both had that number of five-star signees. Unfortunately, most of them never fulfilled their potential.

From the 2002 class, James Banks and Mondre Dickerson were eventually dismissed from the team and Brandon Jeffries transferred to Newberry College. Gerald Riggs Jr. and Jonathan Mapu completed their eligibility but never quite performed at the level that their initial ranking would project.

Of the 32 signees in the 2007 class, 15 left school before completing their eligibility. Among five-star signees, Eric Berry was, of course, a two-time All-American. Brent Vinson, however, was dismissed from the team and transferred to Bowie State. Kenny O'Neal gave up football and Chris Donald ultimately transferred to UT-Chattanooga.

Last edited:
Based on this article (College Football Hall of Fame updating its SEC membership | AL.com), the 1935-1937 recruiting classes also deserve consideration. In terms of members currently in the College Football Hall of Fame, the "SEC record for Hall of Fame players on one active roster is four for the 1938 Tennessee team, which also had a Hall of Fame coach. That season, the Volunteers featured senior end Bowden Wyatt, junior halfback George "Bad News" Cafego, and a pair of sophomore guards, Bob Suffridge and Ed Molinski, coached by Robert Neyland - all on their way to the College Football Hall of Fame."

It is hard to argue against the Vols classes from the late 80s through the very early 2000s. If not at the very top pound for pound for greatest athletes per class, they have to be top 3.

This is why it is so sickening that the Vols don't have at least 2 more National Titles within this era. If the Vols weren't in the SEC and played similar conference schedules to teams like Florida State, who knows what could have happened. The Big Orange were the winningest program in the 90s for a reason. The Vols won more games in the 1990s that any other program.

VN Store

Back