Ht:6'4"
Wt:190 lbs

Sam Darnold - Yahoo! Sports
Sam Darnold
Sam Darnold - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN
Scout.com: Sam Darnold Profile
Sam Darnold - Hudl

Vols offered

So we feel strongly about Gentry and Gibson but we offer another? Are the coaches getting nervous about our radar? Wish the young man luck and hope he thrives this season as volnation patiently watches

An offer means we're interested. An offer doesn't mean he can commit right now or ever necessarily...

So we feel strongly about Gentry and Gibson but we offer another? Are the coaches getting nervous about our radar? Wish the young man luck and hope he thrives this season as volnation patiently watches

We might be wanting to take 2 QBs outside of Jennings. Hubbs said this earlier and said that he thinks we are looking for 2 more but if 1 of Gentry/Gibson commits, the other will probably head elsewhere.

I like watching this kids film. You can see him look off defenders. You can see some plays where he goes through a progression and hits his checkdown. And I like when he runs the ball. Quicker than I expected.

Arm strength needs to be worked on though

Pro style QB on Rivals, Dual Threat QB and OLB on 247. Sounds like we found our '15 TE.

Reactions: 4 people

What if he is another back up plan option as the coaches are currently slow playing Gentry & Gibson? With Zach having planned to make his decision shortly, maybe the staff is not ready to take his commitment? Yes, it even sounds crazy to me. I do think the staff is currently slow playing a lot of seriously good talent. With Jennings onboard, maybe the QBs are another group that could be shaken up while the staff waits it out to see just how many kids they can actually take this year. I have said for a while Gibson not deciding till NSD kind of helps UT while they see how many spots open up. Still think Gibson to osu makes sense, but IF they take another QB, CBJ and staff would have a play closer to NSD if they needed to try and play that card.

:popcorn:

Reactions: 1 person

We just have a bunch of relentless recruiters and evaluators. They aren't just gonna sit back and hope for a certain recruit to pick us.

What if he is another back up plan option as the coaches are currently slow playing Gentry & Gibson? With Zach having planned to make his decision shortly, maybe the staff is not ready to take his commitment? Yes, it even sounds crazy to me. I do think the staff is currently slow playing a lot of seriously good talent. With Jennings onboard, maybe the QBs are another group that could be shaken up while the staff waits it out to see just how many kids they can actually take this year. I have said for a while Gibson not deciding till NSD kind of helps UT while they see how many spots open up. Still think Gibson to osu makes sense, but IF they take another QB, CBJ and staff would have a play closer to NSD if they needed to try and play that card.

:popcorn:

I just personally don't see CBJ slow playing Gentry or Gibson. If Gentry called today and committed, I feel the whole football staff would BooM off.

I just personally don't see CBJ slow playing Gentry or Gibson. If Gentry called today and committed, I feel the whole football staff would BooM off.

I more less feel the same way. Just a little odd that more QBs are getting offers. When the Chuma/Harrell commitments happened, more offers went out to OL guys. My idea of slow playing top talent while the staff figures out how many they can take is just a guess. Having a QB already committed would be another reason they might wait it out on a few guys/risk losing them we as fans think they would not.

Reactions: 1 person
I personally don't see why this offer has to be tied to anything else involving QB recruiting. This staff offers good players. This dude is a good player. Not everything in recruiting is an If/Then/Equals statement.

Reactions: 2 people
I personally don't see why this offer has to be tied to anything else involving QB recruiting. This staff offers good players. This dude is a good player. Not everything in recruiting is an If/Then/Equals statement.

Couldn't agree more. Too many look at recruiting as nothing but absolutes. It isn't all an either/or deal. Recruiting is fluid and ever-changing. You offer the best out there if you think they can help your team. An offer doesn't have to mean someone else is being slow-played or anything else. It simply means the staff is doing their due diligence and exploring all avenues to make The University of Tennessee football team the best it can be.

Reactions: 2 people

Same here don't see that at all. Both of those guys are taking their time through the recruiting process. Neither are in a rush that's why CBJ hasn't pushed them for a commitment.

"Coach Jake was down here a week ago and he said he really liked me and that he would get back to me. He said he wanted to show the tape to coach (Butch) Jones first before he offered me," Darnold explained. "Once he showed the tape to coach Jones he said he wanted to talk to me on the phone right now."

"I was on the phone with coach Jake and he told me about their quarterback situation and I talked to coach Jones and he told me that they were going to offer a scholarship to me," Darnold said. "It was amazing. I talked to coach Jake for a bit after that, too. "It's awesome. One of my goals was to compete with the best and in college the SEC is the best competition. I'm definitely interested in taking a visit to Tennessee."

"If you go to Tennessee you already know they have a top-notch program and some of the best fans in the world," Darnold said. "Coach Jake said you're going to get the best of the best at Tennessee, whether it's the fan base or playing against the best in the SEC." "I am thinking about staying out West, but since it is Tennessee and is the SEC and that's the best, you have to think about it and I want to take a visit there," Darnold said.

"The next couple of months will be pretty crazy for me with recruiting. I want to do something in late June and before then I want to take some visits to places like Northwestern, Wake Forest, Tennessee, places like that," Darnold said. "I'm also going to a one-day camp at Stanford, they want to see me throw."

-VQ

VN Store

Back