View Map
Ht:6'4"
Wt:218 lbs
Class:2016 (High School)

K.J. Costello - Yahoo! Sports

KJ Costello

K.J. Costello - Hudl

K.J. Costello...

Talked to the 2016 QB this past weekend and he said Tennessee and Florida State are now showing a lot of interest in him. He's considering a trip to Knoxville this spring. No offers yet but he's one of the top QBs in California next recruiting cycle.

-Adam Gorney, Rivals

K.J. Costello has established himself as one of the top 2016 quarterbacks in the West and now he's starting to receive some serious national attention. Florida State has made a big impression on the Rancho Santa Margarita (Calif.) Santa Margarita Catholic quarterback who looked good once again this past weekend at the Passing Down Elite 7on7 SoCal Regional.

"I just got off the phone with Florida State," Costello said. "I talked to coach (Tim) Brewster, he's the recruiting coordinator in Southern California, and he said some good stuff. They watched my highlight film as a staff and he's coming out the week after April 12. All he needs to see is me throw for five or 10 minutes to see if that was really me on the highlight tape.

"I had a really good conversation with coach Brewster and he laid it all out. They're coming off the national championship and that's unreal. I have extreme interest in Florida State no doubt. I feel like coach Brewster and I have a real connection."

The Seminoles aren't the only team coming after Costello, the quarterback MVP at the recent RCS Northern California. The Santa Margarita standout is also talking with Tennessee and he's considering a trip to Knoxville in the coming weeks. "I also talked to Tennessee," Costello said. "They want me to go out there because their spring game is later. They won't be able to come out any time soon. I'm trying to expand some out of the Pac-12 as well."

- Rivals

With him being at a catholic school, I'm guessing Notre Dame is a strong possibility?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Wq02FwSMw[/youtube]

Rancho Santa Margarita (CA ) Santa Margarita Catholic four-star QB*KJ Costello*tells Noles247.com that he'll visitFlorida State*on June 19th andFlorida*on June 20th. He'll be visiting each school, not camping.

Costello also confirmed that he will take summer visits toMichigan,*Notre Dame,*Alabamaand*Tennessee.

KJ Costello*(6-4, 213) is the 5th ranked pro-style QB for 2016 and the 139th best player overall. Costello is one of only a handful of quarterbacks in 2016 that has been offered by FSU.

"Quarterback K.J. Costello out of California is expected in town on Wednesday along with wide receiver Dylan Crawford.

They visited Notre Dame today, are seeing Alabama tomorrow and are expect in Knoxville Wednesday."

- Fortenberry

"Quarterback K.J. Costello out of California is expected in town on Wednesday along with wide receiver Dylan Crawford.

They visited Notre Dame today, are seeing Alabama tomorrow and are expect in Knoxville Wednesday."

- Fortenberry

Did they ever make it in?

“They were one of the first ones to offer, so I really wanted to pay respect and get out there, and I loved it, man. It was important for me to get out and see the SEC environment, and it was pretty awesome.”

The 6-foot-5, 210-pound Costello said he also stopped at Southern California, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, Florida and Florida State during his lengthy trip before participating in the IMG 7-on-7 national championships in Bradenton, Fla.

He said he enjoyed his first visit with the Vols for multiple reasons.

“I really had no idea what to expect,” Costello said. “I’d never been out there. I thought Knoxville was awesome, man. It’s definitely a football town. The coaches said the whole town revolves around football. I get it now. I understand that,*seeing the stadium especially. They’re such a small town to pack that year in and year out.

“I really like Coach ‘Jake’ (Tennessee offensive coordinator*Mike Bajakian) a lot. We kind of sat down and went over their offense and what he sees me doing in their offense, as well as Coach*(Butch) Jones. We really got along well.”

Tennessee’s coaches told Costello that they could envision him being a good fit for their spread offense.

“They’ve got some of the top receivers (and)*young, young talent — freshmen and sophomores —*in their program now, and in two, three years they feel like they’re really going to be loaded out there, and they need someone to distribute the ball to them,” Costello said. “And with what they’re trying to accomplish offensively, they definitely (need) a pass-first guy.”

The only thing missing from Costello’s lengthy trip, he said, was the experience of attending a game with a “big-time SEC environment.” But he’s planning to make up for that with another visit to Tennessee.

“Actually, before we even went on the trip, my dad and some buddies booked a trip to go to the Florida-Tennessee game (on Oct. 4) to see that SEC environment,” Costello said. “That actually falls on our bye week, so I believe we’re going to try and get out there.”

Now that he has visited most of the schools he’s currently considering, he said it’s possible that he could make an early decision on where he wants to play in college.

“Before I went on this trip, I felt like I wanted to make an educated decision before my senior year,” Costello said. “And now I’ve already seen all these places, and the process truly is speeding up nowadays, seeing kids committing left and right. …

“It could happen any time soon or before my senior season. There’s a couple schools that really stick out to me, and I feel like I couldn’t make a bad decision, if it feels right at a certain time.”

Reactions: 5 people
He's already the third recruit to say something about coming in for the game against UF. I fully expect a sellout for that game. It probably won't be 109,000+ but hopefully it'll hit 103k or 104k.

He's already the third recruit to say something about coming in for the game against UF. I fully expect a sellout for that game. It probably won't be 109,000+ but hopefully it'll hit 103k or 104k.

A close game, or better yet, a Vol victory will go along way.

A close game, or better yet, a Vol victory will go along way.

I expect a Vol victory that day. Anything less will be very disappointing.

I know nationally, and even to most Vol fans, it would be a huge upset but I don't see it that way. I think UT will be the better team, better coached, and better prepared for that game. JMO

Here come the "realistic" fans to tell me I'm an idiot...

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back